Laptops computers

greg334

Veteran Expediter
D*mn talk about BIG pictures, ever hear of "removing page styling" to get to the edit button?

Preview works wonders on posts with pictures too. It allows you to hit that “back” button and resize those pictures so they don't take out ads or edit buttons.

You now see why people don't like to post pictures, too much hassle. Pictures sometimes crapify a thread and some users get turned off. EO's software isn't W3C validated (or wasn't the last time I checked) and sometimes the threads come up kind of messed up – no offense Lawrence.

By the way nice setup, I would post mine but you wouldn't believe it anyhow.

Back to the box idea, if vibration is a concern, then some padding of sorts can be used on the bottom of the box. Using a rubber mat is one method, a small foam rubber pad is another.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
You now see why people don't like to post pictures, too much hassle. Pictures sometimes crapify a thread and some users get turned off.

:) You school meeeeeee? :) Not anytime soon, I assure ya. :)

Every once ina while , even I get the case of "im tired" - "my keyboard messed up" - "this box has gone mad". Take a pick with any of the three (3) mentioned.

Actually, it's not that people don't like to post pics, it's mainly because they have a misunderstanding of basic html and the concept of off-site hosting. Ya see,people are allot more intelligent than you'd ever believe. You see them as uninformed/ignorant....I see them deciding to focus on more important things in life. I hate opening attachments just to see a pic. I hate to have to open four different pictures just to see four different pictures. That's a "real" turn off. Having pictures most deffinatly makes a thread more interesting. Easier to display a thought...rather than having to take off d/l'ing an attachment.

Anyhow, pictures can, and most certainy do, aide others in design ideas and act as a point of reference. Absolutly no excuse for someone owning a digi-cam to "not" shoot and share. That's of course,if you've truly got somthing worthy of sharing.
Pictures can make the complex, understanable. Pictures can also add tons of credibilty to what might sound like nothing more than a bunch of googl'd up text.

"Pictures are the universal media of factual existence", 14

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well of course, it's too funny.

You sure like to bash people over credibility, who cares. I surely don't.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, is there anyone out there that can built "TRUE" custom built laptop computers? Ones that you can get the type and number of ports, processors, screen types etc? In other words, NOT just the cookie cutter places you see on line.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Laptop motherboards are specific to the brand and model, so if anyone was building a "custom" laptop it would be based on an existing model from whatever manufacturer. For instance Dell allows you to personalize the base model. Not a true conglomeration of odd parts like the old days.
Now if you wanted to put a box together that is a whole different story....

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Laptop motherboards are specific to the brand and model, so if anyone was building a "custom" laptop it would be based on an existing model from whatever manufacturer. But if you wanted to put a box together that is a whole different story....

Sigh, I need one that will do what I want it to in the truck.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Mr Layout

There are a few DIY [BAREBONE] laptop choices, but id assume cost might place it considerably higher than off the shelf retail units.

diy-laptop-whitebook,3-B-188039-13.jpg

The major benefit of building it yourself would be troubleshooting
possible future problems. Upgrading future CPU's, wireless adapters,memory and optical drives could have cool future benefits.

Below are links to some very good reference material for the DIY'ers

How (And Why) To Build Your Own Laptop : Debunking the Black Box

Do-it-Yourself Notebooks OCZ Technology

MSI USA ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Do-it-Yourself Laptops Pre-mod Your Notebook- Laptop Hard Drive Notebook Memories Processors Mini PCI-E Cards-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

willgreg21

Seasoned Expediter
I have a DELL Inspiron that is about 5 or 6 years old. It has been abused a good bit but is still working fine. It does have a line in the screen now though..

Im waiting for something major to go so I can get a new one...but it wont die!

Im using it now...

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I need to put my laptop on something but I cant install a laptop mount since its not my truck. The passenger seat doesn't really work as i cant see the screen and it gets bumped around and cracked at the hinges. Does anybody know of any solutions.

I'm using Ram Mount, no drilling just bolt down using seat bolts.

2nd HP never any problems except cracked hinge on first one after 3 years. So I upgraded and also bought ram mount to secure in VAN.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am now on my third laptop in a little over three years on the road.
My first HP met its demise under great stress from my big foot
late in the night.
My second laptop, while still working in the comforts of my brothers home, was retired from the road as almost all the screws holding it together vibrated out. This was discovered as I picked it up and thought it was going to eat me as it opened up like a clam.

My 3rd ( and last ) knock knock......... is a Panasonic Tough Book.
WHOA YEAH....titanium case, anti vibration mounts, wifi, DVD, 2 usb, sealed ports to protect from water and dust, antiglare touch screen.......combat ready. :;)

New, starting around $2000 and can get much much more expensive.:(

Good news is I checked with Tiger Direct and they had refurbs
off lease. I got my for under $400.:D
Its a couple years old but looks great loaded with XP Pro.
Not a fancy machine, just built like a tank.

JackDalton

Seasoned Expediter
I was getting ready to use the 2 x 4 box idea from greg334, I found this bag on Ebay. Its about as expensive as a descent laptop stand, but doesnt take up as much space and looks like i can take it with me. Does anyone have this? I can't find anything like it any other place online.

stores.ebay.com/A-C-GPS-Laptop-Bags

Joe, I bought one of those about 7 months ago while I was drivin. I wish i had bought it sooner, my laptop was already pretty banged up from the truck ride. The Laptop bag was nice because I needed to take it out of the truck on weekends. It used to take me forever to pack up my laptop, once I bought the bag it took less than a minute. Its also good for taking less space than a stand, those things are just too bulky. Besides, them bears love to write tickets for those things. The bag has retaining bolts inside that secure the laptop without scratching, and Im not joking when I say you could drop this thing off a building the laptop would survive.

The downside is that the fans wont work unless your pluggd into a 12 volt lighter / power. That means I couldnt plug it in at home without unzipping the cover. If you're serious about using a laptop full time on the road, this is the best solution I could find.