IPhone or Droid

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Just updated my EVO to 2.3 with gingerbread. Seems faster.

Updated to gingerbread on my DroidX a couple of days ago too. So far, so good. Maybe a slight change in battery life but that's not a huge issue for me as we're always close to a charger in one form or another.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Not if the reason for saying it is to tick off Appleheads. :D

Apple is like the Borg, once they've got you, they've got you, and you don't know any better.

If you like to tinker and customize, then the Droid is the way to go. You can pretty much do anything you want with the phone, including customizing your home screens to suit your needs. Can't do that with an iPhone, but the iPhone is easier to use, by a 5 year old or your grandmother, because you don't have to learn much about it or think about what you're doing to use it. It's very intuitive, while the Droid takes some time to learn. But it really comes down to whether you like to customize and tinker, or if the phone is a tool and nothing more.

There are many more apps for the iPhone, all of them personally approved (or rejected) by Steve Jobs, but the iPhone 4 does not have expandable storage. The Droid, on the other hand, supports MicroSD cards up to 32GB, you can extend its storage up to 40GB. So there's that.

If you are often not near a charger, then the iPhone is for you. The iPhone has impressive battery life. I have an extended battery on my Droid, though, and am rarely away from the charger, so that's not a problem for me.

Battery sucks on the Droid. I have never had an iPhone but the AT&T coverage here sucks. I love my Droid and have heard it is more open then the iPhone. I like being able to custimize the screens, one thing I wish though, is I would like to delete some of the icons I never use, but you can't

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Battery sucks on the Droid. I have never had an iPhone but the AT&T coverage here sucks. I love my Droid and have heard it is more open then the iPhone. I like being able to custimize the screens, one thing I wish though, is I would like to delete some of the icons I never use, but you can't

What ones are you trying to delete? Do you mean just the icon from the home screen or remove the entire app?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What ones are you trying to delete? Do you mean just the icon from the home screen or remove the entire app?

icons from the list of all apps/menu (if that is what you call it) The home screen(main screen) is totally customizable and I only have my most used icons on there.
The one I never use are visual VM, voice dialer,twitter and a few others.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
icons from the list of all apps/menu (if that is what you call it) The home screen(main screen) is totally customizable and I only have my most used icons on there.
The one I never use are visual VM, voice dialer,twitter and a few others.

Yeah those 3 are part of the phone pretty much.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Okay, I grabbed the potting soil and started watering it, lets see if it works.

That's not what he meant when he is talking about rooting the phone. With the Android OS you can just throw it in a cup of water and it will take care of itself. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Smart alec answer A: Yeah, I really hate it when my phone changes my words, and then goes ahead and presses the "submit" button without letting me make sure everything is like it's supposed to be.

Smart alec answer B: It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Smart alec answer C: How's it feel to get pwned by an app? :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I try not to do it on here or on other public forums, 'cause it's embarrassing and it's a pain to edit these forum posts on the Droid, but I do it all the time in text messages. Get in a hurry and assume without reading that the autocorrect can read my mind. :D

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I have had both and I like the Droid a lot. But love the iPhone!

Both of my iPhones work. I never had a single problem out of either of my iPhones. They just worked.

Both of my Droids have little problems that come and go. Sometimes they say I am in Russia or China when I am in Maryland and that messes up the time and any reminder or alarm I have set. Cant trust the reminder or alarm because I never know when it will change where I am. They freeze and many times taking out the battery is the only way to get it to work again. The Droids run the battery down for no reason. I can be home on Monday and the battery lasts all day. Charge overnight and still home on Tuesday and the battery is dead by noon with no use. Music player just starts playing while the phone is sitting on the desk and nothing touching it. Just constant bugs.

If Google could clean up the OS like Apple has then I would take a Droid, but Apple does clean like no one else. If I could have Java and Flash on iPhone/iPad, I would never have left iPhone to go to Droid! Going back to iPhone when my Droid contract is over.

I am not a Apple Fan Boy, I just like things that work. I have 5 PC's and 1 Mac at home. The Mac is the oldest and runs as good as the new PC's.

I run a non-profit working with Wounded Warriors and downtime on my phones is really hard since I am always in or between hospitals. I need my phone to work and the iPhone does.

Robert
Warrior Cry - Warrior Cry