How necessary are dolly legs?

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
On my '00 F650 I don't have dolly legs. 99% of the time it's loaded/unloaded by forklift. Will I run into any problems not having support legs? It's spring ride. Thanks.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
i think if you have airride suspension that it would be kind of rough on it. not to mention the stress you would put on the end of the frame. those forklifts can be quite heavy, and most operators are not to gentle with them.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just about all the expedite carriers I know of require dolly legs on your truck to lease on with them. Most of the auto plants will require you use them too. My truck is set up so that when I drop the air in my suspension, the dolly legs are already nearly on the ground, and only a few cranks are required to touch the ground. It is a good idea to drop your air suspension when being loaded and unloaded with forklifts along with using the dollies, although I admit I am guilty of not doing the latter most of the time.
With your spring suspension sterling owner, you will definitely need the dollies. Are you leasing to a carrier or planning on it? many will require the air ride also, so check around before making big plans. Some carriers will accept spring ride, but most of the time it's not the company but the customer who requests the air ride, so the truck might miss out on some loads.
-Weave-

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
Our F650 is part of a private fleet, I'm just wondering if any damage will be done by not having dolly legs. Down the road we're hoping to some loads for a local hauler, but most of their trucks are spring ride anyway.

2 1999 Sterling Semis

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As long as the weight of the freight in the box and the forklift don't exceed the rating of your axle, you are OK. But as Doggie Daddy stated, some of those forklifts are very heavy, and could damage your springs when rolling on board.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would definitely get the legs. The battery powered forklift trucks are about 12,000 pounds without any load on them. I hauled one of those suckers from Titusville FL to Santa Rosa CA and going up the Grapevine above LA was a nice 20 mph experience. I was curious as too why someone would pay the expedite bucks to haul a old beat up forklift across the country and the consignee told me they were going into Russia to build something and they take all of there support equipment in and then leave it there when they are finished.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
I'm getting prices, whats the going rate? Thanks. btw the forklifts that load our truck weigh about 9000 pounds. Our 5000 pound, propane, air tire toyota weighs 8900 pounds.

2 1999 Sterling Semis

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most expedite straight trucks use dolly legs connected together through a shaft, the same as trailer landing gear. I bought 2 used (late model, nice) Holland Forumula 150 legs for $450, and have them installed on my frame rails individually, not connected by the shaft. This will allow me to set the legs down on eneven ground surfaces- basically most of the places you back into. Twice the cranking, but they have tall gears, and it is the only way to guarantee both dolly legs will hit the ground. That was my cost.
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Saw on your profile you are from Cleveland area. Don't know of anyone there right off hand, but check around in phone book for places that specialize in trailer repair, they would be the best source to get a used set off a wrecked trailer and could install them properly for you. Maybe someone else on here knows of somewhere near Cleveland for dolly legs?
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try HAN!S Freightliner in Cleveland. They are off I 480 on the east side. They specialize in medium trucks and know the expedite truck needs well. In my opinion they are one of the best Freightliner dealers in the country.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I live in Dayton and have dolly legs for sale to best offer. I replaced them with electric dollys.the ones for sale are 2 years old.
check classified ads under truck parts.