Hello ladies!

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all. I just joined this site today and have been reading like crazy. I've been driving for about 5 years dragging 53 foot trailers and have thought about expediting several times. After all the docks I've gotten into and the ones I couldn't this sounds like pure joy! The only stress I ever had was what the next dock was going to look like. Now all I need to know is How do I get in this branch of trucking? I've been a company driver and an O/O. Don't have my truck now but I would consider it again. I know all the ins and outs of being an O/O. Don't know if I'm allowed here but I will just mention that i am a moderator for Trailertruckintech. A yahoo group. Our goal is to help drivers of all experience levels so hoping I can find some help here. Everybody have a great day and be safe.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Great to have you here! I drive team with my husband in a 40' straight truck. Bob used to drive a big truck and I rode with him. We have so much less stress in this job it is great. No forced dispatch, easier to find parking places, and the customers we go to are very happy to see you! One of the biggest changes for us was the difference in how we where treated by dispatch and also by customers. If the gate guard in on a power trip it isn't long and he gets an attitude adjustment! We have emergency freight and the customer wants what we have. We drive a lot less miles and make a lot more money. We have time to enjoy the country now and see more sights. We did buy our own truck and we love the freedom that gives us to be our own boss.

There are several solo women on here also and at least one I know of that used to drive a big truck solo.

We sure feel as if we have found the best way to make money and see the country with a lot less stress involved.

Ladytrucker1950

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Linda and Bob. I love being solo but I also like teaming...with the right person. I also prefer owning my own truck as there are places in this country I have been and have no need to return to. NYC for one. I have considered calling Panther just to see if I could drive a fleet owners truck for a short time to get my foot in the door. I also have 2 tiny dogs that truck with me and being an O/O was usually the only way to do that. I don't know if that would be a problem with the customers of this industry. I also have a problem that may resolve itself and my not. My husband got his cdl last fall and started driving for Transport America this spring. I got off the road and stayed home so he could give it a whirl. About 2 months ago he was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. We're having an awful time getting anything done but the surgery is now set for Oct.2. I'm a very realistic person and know that I may wind up taking care of myself for the rest of my life and will have to go back to trucking. S.S. says I can't retire till I'm 67 years old, another 11 years and we have no insurance on any debt. I can't risk loosing a house we've been buying for 22 years and I have to face that. If anyone on here could recommend a good company to start with, I would really appreciate it. I'm a good driver, in my entire life I have never had a ticket or wreck of any kind. My record is 100% on time pickup and delivery. I've even passed government clearance and have hauled explosives. Where do I start? Thanks for listening to me and sorry to babble on. Have a great day and be safe.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
LT1950:

Now that you're a member of the EO community, your husband will be in the thoughts and prayers of all the rest of us until you hear the good news that he is cancer free and ready for a team run to the destination of your choosing.

If you are near Cleveland, OH on 19 October, you could get a good introduction to the world of expediting at one of EO's free workshops. spokesfolk will discuss the nature of expediting, the spec'ing and purchesing and financing of trucks and there will be exhibiters/sponsors there that you can talk with. These include recruiters, sales folks and other prospective drivers.

Many of the recruiters that are among the denizens of this site may contact you either here or thru a personal message. I'd suggest you talk to all of them until you find a company with which you will be comfortable. The free classifieds linked on our home page will get you to many owners who would be pleased to take advantage of your qualifications. You might check some of them out. For a refresher course in talking with prospective owners or companies, visit this link http://www.ooida.com/Swimming_sharks/help_list_owner_ops.html.

Our very best wishes for your husbands surgery and your exploration of our line of work.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Hi LadyTrucker. Just wanted to say welcome. Looks like some other members have taken good care of you and have given your questions and concerns some attention. This is what we do here, hope you enjoy your stay.