Fuel Tax - Ouch ! Must I pay ??

N5IBM

Expert Expediter
Hello gang,

I will be pulling 5th wheel travel trailers for Horizon transport, and I will be driving a Ford F-350 pick up truck with the GVWR of about 9,900 lbs, and pulling trailers that are no more than 16,000 lbs.

Am I liable to pay fuel tax ?

Any other surprises in the transport industry ... he !

Thanks,

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I will be pulling 5th wheel travel trailers for Horizon transport, and I will be driving a Ford F-350 pick up truck with the GVWR of about 9,900 lbs, and pulling trailers that are no more than 16,000 lbs.

Am I liable to pay fuel tax ?

Any other surprises in the transport industry ... he !

Thanks,

Russell - Orlando, Florida

Russell,

Basically, I think that since you are under 10,000 lbs you do not have to pay the fuel tax, that is if your truck is not registed as a commerical vehicle. even though it is set up as a 5th wheel. If the company that you lease to requires that you Apportion your vehicle you probably will have to pay the IFTA Tax. Check with your company,to make sure.

Frank

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Frank , let me clarify on this a little . These contractors are classified as owner operators with a permanent lease . Most of the trucks have 24,000 - 26,000 tags on them even though they are 1 ton or 3/4 ton trucks . The carrier pays for the permits and transfer tag . I've never seen one with an apportioned tag . I believe fuel taxes are not required if you are not over 26,000 lbs.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Crazynuff,
If this is a little late in getting to you I am sorry but I have been have puter problems. an I didnt want to send any viruses that I might of picked up when the computer virus scan was not working.

NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE IFTA TAX.

Frank

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Russell, sorry for the lateness in getting back to you but my computer was down,

NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FUEL TAX.

FRANK

pantherii

Expert Expediter
new to expediting, I have a question regarding the fuel tax i drive teams with my dad in a straight truck and when we purchase fuel we pay the price that includes the tax. so whats the process do we still pay fuel taxes? thanks john

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
new to expediting, I have a question regarding the fuel tax i drive teams with my dad in a straight truck and when we purchase fuel we pay the price that includes the tax. so whats the process do we still pay fuel taxes? thanks john

Hi John,

In a straight truck you do have to pay the IFTA Tax, this will come out of your settlement from Panther, You must Purchase At least 25-50 Gallons in each state. When you do purchase that fuel the amount of gallons will be credited by the miles that your actually run within each state depending on the fuel tax rate.

So let as an example, say you run 250 miles in Ohio, You will be charged at a mpg x mileage would equal the amount owed, less the amount of gallons you purchased at the ifta tax rate giving you either a credit or amount owed.

At the end of the quarter it would be figured by the mileage that was traveled in each state at a MPG less the amount of gallons purchased.

Frank

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>In a straight truck you do have to pay the IFTA Tax, this
>will come out of your settlement from Panther, You must
>Purchase At least 25-50 Gallons in each state. When you do
>purchase that fuel the amount of gallons will be credited by
>the miles that your actually run within each state depending
>on the fuel tax rate
>
>Frank

A straight truck under 26,000 "C"unit is exempt from the IFTA tax,We pay at the pump,but no further redistribution between states is necessary.