Class 8 wheelbase and box length

DuMass

Expert Expediter
Like the title says, what wheelbase and boxlength would you want if you could do it all over again? Specing with the 60/40 weight split how much "fudge factor" do you think is acceptable to get more box length? Running an aero sleepercab and a setback axle (Volvo 770) so I think I'm nose heavy, my tractor is a 247" wb (272" to center of rear driver) I want to go expedite but I'm not anxious to stretch the frame. I'm more than a little skeptical of "salesmen" who say everything from,"i wouldn't go any bigger than 16 foot" to "22 foot should be no problem" I want to be maneuverable but cargo space is what counts. Also, if all else fails I'd like to be able to go back to a tractor configuration if the straight thing doesn't pay for me.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Towards the bottom of the thread here http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/391.html
Arky and I were discussing this topic. My single axle 120" BBC cab with 70" integral sleeper has a custom built 23.5' box, and is as long as one can safely go with that chassis. W/B is 320" "Tractor" is class 8 Freightliner Columbia.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi..._thread&om=276&forum=DCForumID16&viewmode=all
This link shows some class 8's. Mine is reply #1. LilFoot's is one that might fudge the 40 foot rule a little bit;-)
-Weave-

DuMass

Expert Expediter
Thanks Weave,
The wheelbase thing is what is throwing me. Assuming a 77" sleeper dimension I would be limited to a 20' box with a wheelbase of 248" (center of drivers)however, with a wheelbase of 273" (center of rear driver, as if "single axle")would allow a 23.14'. Is it acceptable to calculate the box length "as if" the front driver was not there? Would you feel the rear overhang was excessive? I can picture really changing lanes with the rear of the rig (overhang at 140" or 11'8")?

yikes!:eek:

D Green

Expert Expediter
I must first say that I have no experience in boxes/expediter trucks.

That said, the rule we hot-shot flatbed folks use, whatever the distance from the rear of the cab, to the center of rear axle(s), we add 1/2 that for "behind the axle".

Fer instance...My little FL60 is 15'9", from rear of cab to center of rear axle. So I feel I can safely add 8' to the forward measurement, equals 24' total, without having too much "whale-tail" effect around corners.

Dennis