Can't keep a spare.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
In over four years off owning vans i never had a spare stolen [ford e350's] 2 weeks ago it at the garage i use it got stolen, the owner paid for it but lost a day trying to find rim and tire.Last night somebody got me again,this one i will have to pay for.Any ideas on adding some security to the system ford has would be welcome.I am looking for a older tire to put on the new rim and may chain lock it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what i have seem on somepickup trucks is bolt that holds tires in place has a place to put a lock on it, or go to abody shop and they
maybe to come up with something so you would be able to lock the tire up/ or maybe a lock nut that would fit that and make it harder to get
at, try napa or one of other auto parts stores they may have it
just have to ask, i'll ask a friend if he could make something like
that, and how much would it cost

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Go to home depot or some place and by about 4 or 5 foot of chain. Lower the spare put the chain threw the center hole of the rim. Put the tire back up then rap the chain around the frame of the van and back to the other end. Buy a lock and a key so you can lock the 2 ends of the chain. Now if some A hole wants to steal your spare tire he will have to cut the chain or the lock. Hope this will help.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thank's for the help, i will do the chain thing and put a used tire on it.I have a friend who's working on a way to secure it without the chains and am open to any other ideas.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I owned a E-350 van for 2 years, and what I did was put spare inside cargo area at the back side. used rubber bungie cords to hold against the wall. It never bothered any cargo I had to haul. Good luck.... Butch

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think they the dealers sell a rack for the inside of vans. It bolts over the back corner of the wheel-well and holds a spare on the inside of the van. Maybe you can find one at a salvage yard. Maybe mount it to the back or side doors. It would have to mount to the door that closes first so it isn’t in the way. That step at the side door would be a good place to set it and strap it to the doors, unless you use your side doors allot.