C & M ?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Greetings, anyone out there that drives for, knows someone who drives for, heard of...C & M? Apparently, they are a small expeditor company operating out of Northern Ohio. We recently ran into a team that was running with them (for about a month), but they were doing fabulous. Looking for information on rates and miles...etc. We are looking at the possibility of changing companys.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
C&M Transport is a very good company to run for. I ran there for three years prior to running where I am now, and enjoyed running there very much. D unit rates are (or were) straight $1.25/mi for truckload, $1.00/mi for vanloads. They are located in Painesville, OH. Everyone there treated me well in a true contractor manner, and they were very fair. I only left there to run with my father, who could no longer be insured by C&M's insurance company- my family sticks together. I THINK they are requiring at least 2 years of OTR experience for drivers now, but you would have to check on that.
www.cmtransport.com
-Weave-

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks so much Weave for the information. We were thinking of looking at FedEx CC again too. The only real concerns we have with C & M is the lack of constant direct communication with them and the lack of dh pay. I can't even believe I wrote we are worried about the lack of direct communication...now that I realize it, that was one of the primary reasons we left FedEx CC they badgered us to death with constant beeps..."you're not polling"...etc. When I seemingly went totally crazy and threatened to throw the quallcomm out the window my husband very calmly suggested we should be looking elsewhere. Now we are driving at Con-Way Now (2yrs) and we are not constantly badgered with beeps..IN FACT, we hear nothing! I finally realized that if you give up "Big Brother C-Link and VRU", all the other bells and whistles that went with it are gone as well....

Sorry about the ramblng <g>--Nancy--

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I ran with companies with qualcomms I was amazed how much physical abuse the thing could take:7
With a good cell phone, communicating with honest dispatchers is a breeze.
I now use a nationwide pager as a backup to the phone, but the phone has been so reliable the pager is not a must.
Qualcomms are simply big brother watching you, and you pay for him. Like the school bully who makes the wimps "pay protection."
If you run at C&M, it is a big difference from places like the biggies. You are not an employee, you are a contractor, and the intensity of the work there will make you prove that to yourself. There are no mommies there to wet nurse you through common problems, or big buck corporate luxuries like Comcheck. But if you are self sufficient enough as any good contractor should be, and don't need mommy looking over your shoulder, the reward will be money.
Does that sound like the thing for you? If so, contact them.
-Weave-