Bentz Sleeper Window Solution

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I just received an inquiry from another member in regard to the windows in her Bentz sleeper.

She writes:
>Hi: Sometime ago you posted about some quilted window covers for Bentz Sleepers. I went to the Bentz website and couldnt' find anytning about them.
>
>Can you shed any more light on the subject?

I will share my reply with you.

We were just at Camping World where I purchased a roll of quilted, insulated mylar for around $15. I plan to make my own.

If you're not into sewing and gluing you may want to call Bentz and ask for Jake. Jeff Jones from Stoops Freightliner is who told me about the shades available from Bentz.

I plan to cut the mylar with an Exacto knife to fit the windows then bind the edges using wide bias tape. If you have any knowledge of sewing this should be very simple to do.
I did find one already made to fit at Camping World for the small "kitchen" window for $6.

The insulated shades will fit into the window frame then, I plan to make some message boards to cover over them.

I'm sure you have seen the cute little foam boards made for little girls with the lace placed diagonally across so they can put pics and stuff in them. I'm going to make the same thing using a foam display board (Michaels).

The board is trifold.

Turn the board so the folds are horizontal instead of vertical.

Cut it to fit the window opening so that the bottom third of the board can be lifted to allow access to the window crank. Remember to cut around your window crank.

Cover the foam with your choice of fabric using spray glue. Smooth it out over the board and around the edge. Fold the fabric creating a clean edge and secure to the back or bring the fabric to the middle, fold and glue to make it more appealing from the outside

Lay coordinating ribbon diagonally each way creating a criss cross pattern.

Using a thumbtack secure the "crosses" of the ribbon. Secure the ribbon on the back with a glue gun.

Place the foam board over the mylar shade.

In nicer weather when we like to open our windows I will remove the the mylar and just use the foam board that I can lift up for air ventilation and light. This will not interfere with your Murphy style bed because it is nearly flat. You will also have a place to put your favorite pics from home or to post notes and reminders.

I hope this helps.

Coco

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sounds great. Can you make my set in some kind of trains or fighter planes or Nascar fabric? ;)

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Such window covers are great to have. Our sleeper manufacturer (ARI) included a set of vinyl-covered insulated window covers at no extra charge. One of the best parts about them is the tabs built into them that gives you something to grab onto when removing them from the windows. They are made to fit inside the window space exactly, between the glass and the blinds. They can be folded for easy storage.

These covers are great for going to full dark inside the sleeper if you want to sleep in the daytime. We have not had to use them to keep heat out. The air conditioner has worked well enough for that. We'll see if we need them in the winter to keep the cold out.