Big Truck Add An Axle ?

Youngguns12

Active Expediter
Hi, just a little curious might be posting in a wrong place and might be a stupid question but I saw this thing called add an axle where it hooks to your receiver hitch on a pickup or SUV. Its a gooseneck and/ or fifth wheel hitch with an one ton axle looks like hooks right to you receiver hitch. Would it be DOT compliant or no? I was just wondering as if some one has already done it probably.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Add an Axle Corp.

Your post got me curious so I looked it up. It is basically a light duty converter dolly. I've pulled doubles and adding extra points of articulation to a combination vehicle doesn't improve vehicle and trailer handling or reduce sway as claimed. There is a reason why sets of joints are called wiggle-wagons.

I do see a practical use for these when hooked to an SUV. It eliminates chopping a hole in a $50,000 Suburban just so you can haul your golf cart with a gooseneck trailer. As for DOT compliant, I'm sure it is. It appears to be made and marketed in this country so it should be DOT approved. Although any moron with half a brain can overload the towing vehicle, dolly and trailer turning it into a rolling disaster.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I saw one of these in use recently and my first thought was, "I sure hope that receiver hitch mounted to the SUV is rated for a load that heavy". It was being used on a Jeep Cherokee pulling a 40 foot loaded cattle trailer.