Clinton Or Trump Lawn Signs?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Based on my travels over the last few days...

New Jersey will go to Hillary. There's a slight chance they will rename New Jersey to New Clinton.

Pennsylvania will go to Trump. When you cross into PA from NJ even the big "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign has a large Trump/Pence sign plastered onto it. However, I am assuming that it is illegal to post a Trump sign anywhere within the Philadelphia city limits.

I did see this sign in Pittsburgh:

too-big-to-jail.jpg

Ohio will go to Trump. Ohioans have cornered the market on "Deplorable and Proud Of It" signs, as well as "Hillary For Prison" signs. On Ohio Rt 123 between Franklin and Lebanon, there is a guy (an assumption) who is particularly unhappy with Hillary. He has a very large, hand-painted sign (well done, dood has some artistic skills) about the size of a single-car garage door, that was well lit up with spotlights that read...

Hillary Thinks
I'm Deplorable
F U
Hillary!

except he didn't use just an F or a U. It was verbosely spelled out.

Reactions: jujubeans

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The topic of early voting was brought up in another thread, but the article above is a good example of why there shouldn't be. So analysts can claim that 'Trump is dead' (already)due to early vote tallies before people can actually vote on Election Day.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
There needs to be early voting ... or some mechanism to handle the logistical log jam/nightmare of 200 million people potentially voting on a single day.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtle hit on this. Early voting with limits like 15 days. But don't report results until Election Day. It may influence or dissuade people from voting otherwise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There needs to be early voting ... or some mechanism to handle the logistical log jam/nightmare of 200 million people potentially voting on a single day.
I did cover the early voting thing pretty fully (I think) in another thread, at least my opinion on it. Most (but certainly not all) of the reasons we vote on the First Tuesday after the First Wednesday in November don't even apply, and it's actually harder for most people to vote now than it was back in the days of yore. So early voting is understandable, even desirable.

But in the absence of early voting, the mechanism for handling so many people voting on a single day is pretty simple - a snotload more voting locations. And I'm talking so many that the line to vote is never longer than about 10 people. Put polling stations up like neighborhood transformers where you can't throw a rock without hitting one (don't ask). Put them in banks, grocery stores, gas stations, Walmarts, everywhere. Instead of hearing "Would you like fries with that? we'd hear "Would you like to vote while waiting for that?"

I do realize that the easier it is to vote and the more people who vote is somehow a disadvantage to Republicans, but all that means is they need to try harder. All one has to do is put on their Golden Rule hat and they can see that voter suppression in any form is an outrage, worse than censorship of speech, because the private ballot isn't speech, it's thought.

There shouldn't be what ... early voting ?
There shouldn't be the reporting of exit polling voting results during early voting, or on the day of the voting, until after the closing of the polls in that state on Nov 8th. It's bad enough that official results from states in the Eastern Time Zone get reported before the closing of the polls out west, as that can have an undue influence on the voting in the western time zones (as has been well documented over the years), but reporting voting results in a state before the polls close in that state is tantamount to election tampering, since they (the press, those bastions of honest information brokering) are reporting unofficial voting results in an official and trusted manner.[/QUOTE]

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Turtle hit on this. Early voting with limits like 15 days. But don't report results until Election Day. It may influence or dissuade people from voting otherwise.
Yeah no cognitive dissonance there ...

The vote total results in terms of which candidate got how many votes are not announced until all the votes are counted.

The only thing that gets reported by the SOS or BOE are the number of ballots cast, not how many votes any candidate actually received.

Assumptions do get made about about which candidate got what amount of votes, whether through exit polling or party affiliation.

That won't change because of little thing called the First Amendment ... and because it's in the public interest to have the number of ballots cast be transparent.

If you're truly concerned about peopled being "dissuaded from voting", lobby your state legislature and SOS to provide adequate resources, polling locations, and polling days/hours to that it isn't a nightmare for all citizens to exercise the franchise.

Interestingly, the biggest impediments to voting - which dissuades people from voting - seem to come from conservative and Republican controlled state governments.

You know: because some folks are the wrong type of "people" ...

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums