Cargo Van I got kicked out of a Flying J

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depended on timing. If you went by enough you'd see that sometimes the reserve is more expensive than Ohio...they set prices according to NY

And in the sprinter I take RT5 all the way, no double toll overheight for me :D
and thats a point I thought of AFTER i hit the reply button....LOL

do you do EZPass?.....I was wondering if we'd be nailed if we just paid out of pocket if the manual booth had the height scanners...??

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
do you do EZPass
Yes, 50% of the time I get car rate for border crossing at Ft Erie (2.70 instead of 5.40) they're too busy to override it at the cash booth...as for height I was told by an operator it would charge, haven't tried it yet I'm too cheap

Edit: This van I haven't got away with it yet, might be a height sensor at the border too

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, 50% of the time I get car rate for border crossing at Ft Erie (2.70 instead of 5.40) they're too busy to override it at the cash booth...as for height I was told by an operator it would charge, haven't tried it yet I'm too cheap
Mr cheap meet Mr Cheap....LOL
Factoid....when you come down I-99 from Altoona to Bedford Pa...to the PA turnpike to Breezewood exit which is just 1 exit over...it is a FREEBEE they don't adverize...works both ways as well...BUT if you have an EZPass it will charge you the .70 cents....there is a deal with the locals for this exemption for commuters in the area....

Update: that .70 was years ago..probably at least a $1.00 now!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
[QUOTE="OntarioVanMan, post: 781360, member: 1078"there is nothing in our purchase agreement that gives us the right to an extended stay.... [/QUOTE]Depends on what your definition of "extended stay" is, but there is definitely an implied consent provision in the law that pertains to quasi-public property, especially that has available parking not reserved for immediate (customer) use. It may not apply to all sections of the parking lot, which is why they may tell you that you can't park out front but you can go around back with the big trucks. And the quasi-public designation is what allows police to cite drivers on "private probably" for all kinds of things like handicap parking, seat belt violations, DUI, reckless driving, etc. And it's also why the States DOT knows exactly how many total truck parking spots there are at each truck stop, because of the implied consent to park there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that would be a legal boon doggle....:) how long does the customer effect expire....I am a customer now and will be again in 10 hours...and so forth

I just did a Walmart where NO overnight parking allowed...went to Lowes and came back in the morning till evening and repeated...I did not stay over night.....just 15 hours of daylight....:p

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like my experience in Waterloo Iowa...I was asked to relocate to a section for vans in the rear....and that point it becomes my option to leave or stay....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
that would be a legal boon doggle....:) how long does the customer effect expire....I am a customer now and will be again in 10 hours...and so
If it were to become a legal issue, like if you were towed or something, then "reasonable and customary" would apply. Reasonable and customary may allow for a 34 hour restart out back, but not so much of front.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like my experience in Waterloo Iowa...I was asked to relocate to a section for vans in the rear....and that point it becomes my option to leave or stay....
Shoud i stay or shoud i go .... nice song ...
In over 13 years of parking at P/FJ i have never been kicked out .... and thats in straight truck , cargo van , cubed van or Promaster .... of course i prefer to haul freight rather than sit for 2 weeks in a truck stop ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shoud i stay or shoud i go .... nice song ...
In over 13 years of parking at P/FJ i have never been kicked out .... and thats in straight truck , cargo van , cubed van or Promaster .... of course i prefer to haul freight rather than sit for 2 weeks in a truck stop ...
Never been kicked out myself... Just relocate... Once

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I was kicked out of the lot of the carrier I was driving for once. I was told we weren't allowed to park there for insurance reasons. Whatever!

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
... for sitting too long. Apparently someone complained about the man taking a nap in his vehicle with his (shod) feet sticking out the side door. This is after I spent close to $50 over two days at the restaurant AND bought $45 worth of gas. The kid that confronted me asked me if I was homeless; if so, I could stay if I moved to the ass-end of the parking lot. Well gee, bucko, how would a guy from Pennsylvania prove to the State of Minnesota that he's homeless? PA doesn't issue permits to homeless people, ya know.

Oh well, such is the life of a vanner...

Sounds like a nice kid actually ..