Just some sprinter observations

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The MBII code reader was a great purchase...has a feature where the malfunctioning part that sets limp mode is saved for later review, I verified the EGR setting LHM...I can pull over and clear LHM and continue driving normally until conditions set LHM again, saved me in the hilly parts of my last run

I'm curious if anyone has a later model Sprinter if it will reset the DPF codes. (If there's anyone who hasn't ripped out that stuff already) see my post on new sprinter code reader, if you've got some spare cash and want to be a Guinea pig...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should be able to reset it on the fly without pulling over. When I had my inter cooler leak, before I started my run I would leave it plugged in and menu over the 'reset'.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wish. EGR LHM seems to need to be clear of pending codes as well...clearing code while running resets it for about half a second...

Come to think of it, I had to do a key cycle to reset transmission limp mode as well...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
EGR LHM seems to need to be clear of pending codes as well...clearing code while running resets it for about half a second...
That means there's an ongoing pressure leak somewhere. It could be the turbo resonator, or a split hose. That big hose on top going into the engine intake has a tendency to split, and it'll do it on the back side where you can't see it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Freeze frame shows 0404 egr performance at instant of LHM
Ever seen a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) on a Windows computer? You know those error codes you get on the BSOD? They're exactly as helpful at the error codes you get from a DRB-III reader in most cases. An EGR Performance error may be a faulty EGR valve, true enough, but the EGR may not be performing properly because of a split hose, a cracked resonator, a faulty air intake temperature sensor, a dirty ash tray or a passenger window that needs rolling up another inch or so. :D

In other words, something cause that EGR to fail. Might have been the EGR itself, or it could be any number of other things.

would it drive normally for several hours with a leak?
Depending on the type of leak, absolutely. With a split hose, for example, internal boost pressure will build up just fine and be at an acceptable level (according to the ECM), and then once you give it some gas or start up hill which requires more boost pressure, the split hose can no longer contain the pressure and lets the pressure escape, resulting in either a Boost Pressure Low or an EGR Performance error code.

Same thing can happen with an intercooler leak (which are very rare, BTW, Eddie hit the lottery with his), where a small hole isn't enough to cause an error condition under most circumstances as the internal boost pressure more than enough in excess to satisfy the engine's needs. But when the engine needs more than the hole will let escape, error.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really useful info. Glad I didn't get an egr yet... Course now I just got dispatched so I'll be too tired to check tomorrow....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oxygen sensor not reading...cause or effect?
I remember watching it noting a sticky output before, what's a sprinter use O2 for?

Some fun trouble codes:
P2013 Intake Manif Runner Control Circuit Hi Bank2
P2511 ECM/PCM Power Relay Sensor Circuit Intermittent

Edit: think I have to recheck that info for my particular year and module...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oxygen sensor not reading...cause or effect?
Could be either, probably effect, but it could also be both, what with the way everything is interconnected on these things.
Seems I remember watching it noting a sticky output before, what's a sprinter use O2 for?
The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold to monitor how much unburned oxygen is in the exhaust as the exhaust exits the engine. Monitoring oxygen levels in the exhaust is a way of gauging the fuel mixture. It tells the computer if the fuel mixture is burning too rich (less oxygen) or too lean (more oxygen). The computer uses the oxygen sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture, which is referred to as the fuel "feedback control loop." The computer takes its cues from the O2 sensor and responds by changing the fuel mixture. This produces a corresponding change in the O2 sensor reading. This is referred to as "closed loop" operation because the computer is using the O2 sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture. The result is a constant flip-flop back and forth from rich to lean which allows the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency while keeping the average overall fuel mixture in proper balance to minimize emissions. It's a complicated setup but it works.

Then throw in the EGR valve, which recirculates a portion of the engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders, which dilutes the O2 in the incoming air stream and provides gases inert to combustion to act as absorbents of combustion heat to reduce peak in-cylinder temperatures, which lowers the NOx.

Add to that the Mass Airflow Sensor which measures the amount of air intake into the engine, and the Air Temperature Sensor (cold air is more dense than is warm air) and if any one of these things is malfunctioning it could cause any one of the others to throw a code, which may or may not be the actual problem.

That's why the Low Boost Pressure error code, which puts you into LHM, can be do frustrating. You're like, "Well duh, I can see that there's low boost pressure, idiot, now tell me WHY." There are dozens of things that can put you into LHM. The chances are if it's an EGR error code, it's probably an EGR valve, as they seem to last about 300,000 miles give or take. But it could be that big honkin' metal thing the EGR directs gases into, which can get clogged up, restricting the air intake and throwing an EGR code. Or a cracked hose or fitting, or a missing valve stem cap. :rolleyes:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
7 hour drive with no LHM, kept RPM above 2000 by shifting....delivered and went into LHM 3 times on way back needing a pull over and turn off...

Parts on the way to "fix" egr permanently, total cost 3.41 Canadian (plus 25 shipping) it's a well known Internet "fix" for egr...I'll post if it works, Google is your friend

Couldn't find any sign of turbo hose or other leaks in a quick once over. This "fix" should help troubleshoot, if it's a leak somewhere I'll still trigger LHM...

Reactions: Treadmill

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This marvel of engineering might fix me. Total cost 1.70. For public purposes I'm only using it to test the egr not disconnect it :D
IMG_20160524_1422345.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm totally lost. I have no idea what you're doing. I don't know what the "fix" is or what it's supposed to fix. Glad it worked, tho.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It fools the ecu that it has a functioning egr, when in fact it doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What are the long term consequences of having a non functioning EGR valve?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Better gas mileage and no limp mode.

Ask an Australian. Their T1N' s had no egr

Oh, and if everybody did it, the air quality around cities might go down; then again, the large factories buying pollution credits put out so much there might be no noticeable difference at all...