Who still makes decent deer bars

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing gives me the Hershey-squirts like a sudden flock of deer...stopped counting at 20 carcasses on I79 tonight, need bars that aren't just decorative

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Deer bars, brush guards, whatever anyone wants to call them, despite looking totally gnarly for the most part, are a really bad idea on a Sprinter if you're hoping to avoid crash damage. They bypass all the energy impact-absorbing crash parts and transfer all that energy directly to the body chassis and frame, often causing more damage than without any guard. They also have a tendency to bypass the trigger for airbag deployment. For a glancing blow or a low-speed fender bender, a brush guard will likely save some damage. But a full-on deer hit? Newp.

Keep in mind that the most commonly used euphemism by body shop personnel for "deer guard", 'brush guard", and "bull guard", is... "Damage Multiplier".

The real solution is to pay attention, slow down, use good lights, and understand a bit of deer behavior to predict when they are likely to be around.

Having said all that, the one that will absorb the most energy and transfer the least energy to the body, and that will trigger the air bag if needed, is the one on the left (the high dollar one) at this link: Sprinter Nudge Bar Archives | Sprinter Store

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a chance to respond while sitting in the middle of Rt5 in WNY waiting for a deer to cross...guess I'll have to weigh the options, I really didn't know that, the few deer strikes I've had I was able to slow down enough so it was light damage....anyway she's done trying to figure the sprinter out, homeward bound...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
the few deer strikes I've had I was able to slow down enough so it was light damage...
In those cases the $300-$600 brush guards are probably fine and would prevent any damage at all.

I've had a couple of close calls int he Sprinter, but no glancing blows yet. I'm sure tomorrow I'll full-on slam an elk or something. So thanks for bringing it up.

The only deer "hit" I've had so far was in Montana when two deer scattered from the road as I approached, then one of them decided to reverse course and slammed into the side box area of the van, somewhere near the rear wheel. No damage, though.

Instead of a "body on frame" the Sprinter is a true unibody. It does have an integral "frame" but more like a reinforcing spine and mounting for springs, etc. A true frame is typically much thicker material and bolted to a body structure. This integral Sprinter "frame" is same thickness sheet metal as the thickest sheetmetal to be found on a Sprinter - about 1.5mm (0.060"). (thanks to Doktor A for that).

So basically, the Sprinter is a Coke can. I've seen Sprinters that have been read-ended in slow speed fender benders (less than 20 MPH) that buckled the cargo area. That totals the vehicle. In a front-end crash of moderate severity, you may lose a fender or two, hood, lights, radiator, etc., but at least it's repairable. Install a brush guard and all of that impact energy may save the front end crash parts, but still total the van with a bent or crumpled unibody frame.

The Sprinter cab/chassis adds an upper, inverted , mirror image, open box member, welded on top of the lower open frame creating a true, closed box member with a tall vertical dimension and high strength. So, the cab/chassis is a true "body on frame" and can handle the transferred impact energy of a brush guard far better than the unibody cargo van.

So yeah, you really have to weigh all the pros and cons of a brush guard. Getting a brush guard was one of the first things I was going to get for mine, but then I did some research and decided to forego it. I do like the looks of one, though.

Reactions: RoadTime and robh2

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure tomorrow I'll full-on slam an elk or something.
One of our drivers hit a cow several years back, it was messy :D
So basically, the Sprinter is a Coke can.
Thanks for reminding me, it's not rusty yet but it will be if I don't spray it

More stuff I didn't know, I realized it was unibody but didn't make the connection

How about really good foglights then so I can see them coming?

And by the way Turtle, do you ever sleep?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How about really good foglights then so I can see them coming?
Those will only work if you improperly aim them.

light-beams-scheme.jpg

I just use Silverstar Ultra H7 bulbs. They throw farther and wider than standard H7s.

And by the way Turtle, do you ever sleep?
Of course. Mostly while driving, tho.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to find the picture of a tour bus that hit a moose up in Canada , now that's a bloody mess!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Last night, well about 1 AM, on US 24 about an hour west of Toledo, a FedEx Ground truck pulling doubles pulled into the left lane to pass me, got on up past me, and then pulled back into the right lane in from of me. Just as the last tire made it into the lane and as he turned off his turn signal, BAM he broadsided a deer. Got all of it, too. The deer exploded and the front of his truck was just... tor... up.

So I wanna change my answer to...
FedEx Ground makes the best deer guards.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the fed ex deer guard idea. almost hit one square on a couple years ago, missed it by inches, next thing I know it was under the rear tires.

Ive thought about the solid bumpers and guards A T/T or strait truck sure beefing it up shouldn't be a problem as the frames are solid strait C channel bumper to bumper but as Turtle said they bypass the safety features. Also keep in mind if you get into it with something like another vehicle or a 700 kilo or 1,500 lb moose the vehicle engineers design the vehicle to absorb the crash energy instead of you absorbing the crash energy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Excellent video. The part where they show Newton's Cradle is a perfect illustration of what happens when you put a deer guard on the front of a Sprinter, connecting it to the body/frame and bypassing the crash parts.