How is your phone named?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a iPhone 5s and this morning I had a shock and I am still thanking the waitress and the cook at the TA.

Early morning and I was the only women in the restaurant and as usual I was working on my computer. The waitress came over and said "Is your name Linda?" I said yes how did you knowww and then I said my internet and she said yes.

The cook was looking at his phone and told her I bet that ladies name is Linda.

My mind then went to thinking quickly of how that little tidbit of info could be used by someone not trust worthy. We meet a lot of people and if someone knows your name you immediatly think you should know the person but cannot place the face so now you grope around trying to figure out how you know them. That could lead to me having a very bad day.

I immediatly changed the name on my phone to a quote so that no one can approach me with my first name they got off of my wi-fi settings in a public place.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Why do people name their devices in the first place? :confused: That's what kids and pets are for. :D
I don't see this as a cause for alarm, someone hell bent on causing you harm is and will do it regardless what ya name your device. They will simply distract you in another way. Key to safety is to keep others out of your space and give a fair and firm warning to get out of your space, and if they don't your well within your right to self protection at that point.
As far as a hacker,,same thing, they will do it regardless what your screen name is.

Reactions: neilblack

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
After I posted this on my Facebook page a few parents said they had named their children's phone.

We had ours named as we both have the same phone and when getting on Internet we needed to know which phone to connect with.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
We had ours named as we both have the same phone and when getting on Internet we needed to know which phone to connect with.

So what your actually naming is your connection or server? I can see that but I figured most connections come with a secure name to begin with..But then again I'm not very computer savvy as most know.
And do you mean you both have the same type of phone or ya share the same phone?
(I think I kinda understand, your both connecting to the same server with 2 different phones?)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Ok so I did not explain well and if you do not have an iPhone it might not make sense.

Each phone has a name and the default i believe is iPhone... When the Wifi is turned on as both of our phones are wifi hot spots we have to know which one to connect to when on our computers. Bob connects to his wifi called iPhone with a password when using his iPad. I would connect to my wifi called "Linda iPhone" with my computer.

So each phone is a hot spot and since they are the same 5s phone one had to have a different name. When the phone is set up new it asks if you want to give it a name.

New post I just saw from a lady on Women in Trucking Facebook Page

Her shower bag had her name in BIG pink letters and she just gave it up and got a bag with no name. You know this also is something for men to think about.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Ok so I did not explain well and if you do not have an iPhone it might not make sense.

Each phone has a name and the default i believe is iPhone... When the Wifi is turned on as both of our phones are wifi hot spots we have to know which one to connect to when on our computers. Bob connects to his wifi called iPhone with a password when using his iPad. I would connect to my wifi called "Linda iPhone" with my computer.

So each phone is a hot spot and since they are the same 5s phone one had to have a different name. When the phone is set up new it asks if you want to give it a name.

New post I just saw from a lady on Women in Trucking Facebook Page

Her shower bag had her name in BIG pink letters and she just gave it up and got a bag with no name. You know this also is something for men to think about.

It's not limited to IPhones my default was Galaxy (or something like that ) As for privacy I do have a pass word and rotate them from time to time.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"liver/onions meal pls-table#3"

That's the phone name I used when I walked in and sat down in one of the popular restuarant at a truck stops. Five minutes later a waitress approached.

"Hello, would you like to try our Liver & Onions special meal? It will be ready in 2 minutes...guaranteed!"

That's what she said. Lol.....

Reactions: Moot and Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So in all this is there information on how to change it?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Linda is talking about the 'Network name' of her phone's wi-fi hotspot, not the actual phone name. So, when someone is looking to connect to a wi-fi network, they will see in the list that pops up among the other names 'Linda Iphone' or whatever else you set it to. They won't see your actual phone name.

Reactions: Moot

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Linda is talking about the 'Network name' of her phone's wi-fi hotspot, not the actual phone name. So, when someone is looking to connect to a wi-fi network, they will see in the list that pops up among the other names 'Linda Iphone' or whatever else you set it to. They won't see your actual phone name.
I thought she was on the TA WiFi, which would show who was connected, i,e, your phone name.
When I use my phone for a Hotspot for my laptop, my phone tells me the devices that are connected by each device's name. Guess it could work both ways.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I changed mine to "teleportation device". No need to make any information available that doesn't need to be, just in case.

Reactions: TDave

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
After reading all of these great names for my phone and what others will see when connecting to WiFi I am going to have to come up with a cool name! You guys are really creative.