What would you change?

Jsshelton1

Active Expediter
Driver
I have been reading the different post on EO and I am thinking of getting in the Business in the near future. I am almost have my bills all paid off just a house note. So I am going to save about 20k for my emergency fund. Then I want to start to save up to get my own straight truck. So here is my question for you, would you buy a new unit or get a used? If you was coming in the business today knowing what you know now what would you do different? Also are there any good companies in the Memphis area or Georgia area?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
You dont have to be in a certain area to sign on with a carrier. Most are located in MI, OH and throughout the midwest. If you are determined and cant or wont drive for a fleet owner first then go used for your first truck and sign on with a respectable carrier !!!!!!!

Reactions: Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you was coming in the business today knowing what you know now what would you do different?

After our first 10 loads, Diane and I would go out of service for three days to review all materials from orientation and think deeply about how to better organize our truck and practices. I believe you have the ability to benefit from this deep thinking because of the careful preparations you are now making and the wise questions you are now asking.

When we first started, we ran, and ran and ran. Had we stopped to think a bit, a lot of the improved practices we developed over time would have been developed sooner, and that would have moved us further along quicker. A 90 day review would be similarly beneficial.

Another thing we'd do differently would be to be more disciplined in our thinking. Expediters have a lot of down time and a lot of time to think. For years, I focused on whatever topics interested me at the time. I was always studying but topic selection was random. While I learned a lot by doing that, I could have learned a lot more by picking a topic and dedicating focused effort to that.

For example, "This month I am going to focus on truck electronics." That might bring me to the lights section when I am at a truck stop to gain familiarity with the stuff there. It might mean reading one article a day on stuff like how to change a light or how a battery works. It might mean spending a couple hours or more browsing every inch of a chrome shop to gain further familiarity with all things truck lighting.

Other topics include how money works, load strategy, understanding brokers, understanding load boards, my motor-carrier's history and goals, fuel economy, truck maintenance schedule, understanding truck brakes, truck tire selection and longevity, understanding fuel tax, business bookkeeping, nutrition practices for more energy and alert driving, etc.

By way of example, I am using this technique now in our non-expediting business. While there are dozens of topics a day that suggest themselves for further study and learning, I am focused on one at the moment. It is to gain a certification of a certain kind. The study guide is 600 pages. By studying just six pages a day, I will be ready to take the exam in 120 days or less (100 days to study, 20 days to prep for the test). The six pages take some time but not much. I remain free to do everything else needed to work our business.

In expediting, if you read say 10 pages a day for 30 days on a relevant topic, how much more would you know about it? If you did one topic a month for 12 months, how much better of an expediter would you be? If you set off to do one topic per month, what 12 topics would you choose for the year, and how would it feel to be more knowledgeable in each of them? (Consider six topics a year with two months dedicated to each if a topic is especially interesting or challenging.)

A small amount of disciplined effort applied over time can produce wonderful results.

It is one thing to acquire experience in the industry. That is done by spending time in it. It is something quite different to develop yourself as a true professional. Study time like that described above can put you light years ahead of some drivers who have been in the trade ten times longer than you. It's not about putting in the time. It's about engaging the mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: TruckingSurv