New computer time?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow a whole 10Mb computer for 6k. Sign me up. I was on the fence until they threw in that sweet dot matrix printer lol.

Reactions: scottm4211

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In 1989 I paid $900 for a Western Digital 20 MB hard drive. It was going to take 100 years to fill that up. Now I have photographs that are 50 MB.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In 1989 I paid $900 for a Western Digital 20 MB hard drive. It was going to take 100 years to fill that up. Now I have photographs that are 50 MB.

Blows my mind, 10-20mb hard drives, how did those things even turn on lol.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I owned 3 computers before I finally go one with a hard drive. An altair (no storage, no keyboard); a LNW 80 (radio shack TRS 80 model 1 clone, casette storage) a commodore 64 (floppy). I think my 6th computer was the first one where I ran MS windows.

Reactions: Turtle

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
My first computer that I bought back in 1990 was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. 64 kB (yes, kilobytes) of total internal memory, no hard drive at all, regular tapes and a tape player/recorder for data storage, running at 3.5 MHz, which I over clocked at 6 MHz. Used an old TV as the screen. Had an internal keyboard though.
I wish I remembered how much I paid for it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, memories. My first was the C64 with a tape drive. Then I got a C128 and the 1541 floppy, and later the 1351 3.5" disk drive (had two of those bad boys). I also had a 1MB geoRAM drive.

I was a Q-Guide on Q-Link (Quantumlink for Commodore computers, which later became AOL when it was rewritten for PCs) and a paid beta tester and online tech support for geoWorks (a windows environment designed for the Commodore platforms). When Windows 1.0 came out, Berkeley Softworks decided to move the geoWorks suite of software (geoCalc, geoWrite, geoPublish, geoPaint, etc.) to the PC platform, which is when they bought me the components I needed to build my first PC. At the same time Berkeley moved to the PC, so did Q-Link with the early version of AOL.

I was one of the five original Alpha and Beta testers for AOL, so you can thank me for many of the most annoying features of AOL that seemed like good ideas at the time (like Usenet access via AOL) but within 2 years became intolerable for me and most people. :D But online tech support jobs geoWorks and AOL paid surprisingly well, more than I made managing a restaurant, in fact.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sinclair with 64k was $399 wasn't it?
My first C64 was that price. I looked at a Mac first (4 grand) , then the C64. $400 was an easy choice, considering I had no clue what I was going to do with it.

Honestly, it was the modem (300 baud monster) and telecommunications that got me hooked, hard.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had one of the TRS-80 computers with the tape drive. Then I had an Apple II+ that I wish I still had. Then a Compaq suitcase. Then I forget.

Reactions: scottm4211

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was late to the computer party. Finally got an Acer Aspire in 1995 running Windows 95 for $2500 thanks to mom's Best Buy credit card that I made the payments on. 1 gig hard drive that I upgraded about 4 years later to a whopping 2 gig, along with other upgrades to memory, etc.

Around 1997 I bought my future wife/ex-wife a cheap one so we could chat on-line. Don't remember what it had but the most it would run was Windows 3.1