Big Truck Mickey Mouse and Driver Shortages

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I like ceva as we come and go as we please
they know what we will do and not do , they will ask us we know you don't like to go there will you do it for this
amount, and if amount is right I will do it
I tell them ahead of time when I'm taking off
sometimes they will ask could you take this day off instead, most time they will make it worth while to change your plans
also have taken a couple of drivers out who wanted to know what is ceva as a helper and they made money while
finding out what we do and how we do
so the knew what they were getting into

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've been hearing about a driver shortage for 7 years now. If there is a shortage why isn't the freight backed up on the loading docks? Why aren't the ports backed up with ships waiting to come in and unload? Why aren't the grocery store shelves empty? Why isn't every available truck running non stop? Why hasn't driver pay gone up?
I don't believe there is a driver shortage problem. I believe there is a retention of drivers problem caused by greedy trucking companies that chew drivers up and spit them out on a regular basis. Look at the companies that treat there drivers well and you will notice they have little trouble retaining a fleet of drivers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I've been hearing about a driver shortage for 7 years now. If there is a shortage why isn't the freight backed up on the loading docks? Why aren't the ports backed up with ships waiting to come in and unload? Why aren't the grocery store shelves empty? Why isn't every available truck running non stop? Why hasn't driver pay gone up?
I don't believe there is a driver shortage problem. I believe there is a retention of drivers problem caused by greedy trucking companies that chew drivers up and spit them out on a regular basis. Look at the companies that treat there drivers well and you will notice they have little trouble retaining a fleet of drivers.

Your post is much more the reality verses a actual driver shortage.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"...The issue is not getting drivers it is keeping drivers once they enter the industry.

Maybe part is comfort but in my experience a huge part is not treating the driver like a machine or robot. When we entered the truck load carrier side of trucking with Bob a driver it has to be the rudest awakening I ever have had in my life. I had no idea people could be treated so horribly not only by the carrier they drove for but by gate guards, shippers and receivers, and other motorists. "

I concur. Above were most of the major reasons why I switched over to van. I could say the stresses were cut in half because of the switching.

JohnnyBoy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ok thanks I'm located in Taylor and thinking of checking them out as well with Ceva... Right now I have a Chevy express 2500 to start off with and then if things work out ok I'll get into a 16ft perhaps or straight truck which I have a CDL for that .

JohnnyBoy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I like ceva as we come and go as we please
they know what we will do and not do , they will ask us we know you don't like to go there will you do it for this
amount, and if amount is right I will do it
I tell them ahead of time when I'm taking off
sometimes they will ask could you take this day off instead, most time they will make it worth while to change your plans
also have taken a couple of drivers out who wanted to know what is ceva as a helper and they made money while
finding out what we do and how we do
so the knew what they were getting into
Thankyou... There very close to me and part time is what I need to start off with my van

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Exactly. It's a shortage of drivers who will accept the bottom feeder mega company rates.