Introducing FinanceGuy

FinanceGuy

Active Expediter
Hello Everyone,

Sorry I have been absent from the forum for a while but I have been talking to individuals nearly every day who are calling me about how to finance an expediter truck - both experienced O/Os and first time buyers.

Often after I have talked with someone who wants to buy their first truck they will conclude that they are not quite ready to make that jump. Maybe they need to work on their credit file to improve their scores or they may need to put together a little more money for a down payment. These are the two largest hurddles that a first-time buyer needs to get over.

However, if their credit score is not an issue and they are interested in buying a straight truck, then Expediter Services has a program that may be able to help them. Expediter Services is currently offering down payment assistance loans for credit qualified individual who are looking to finance a Class 8 Expediter Straight Truck. The reason they are requiring a Class 8 straight truck is due to the fact that Class 8 trucks are engineered to be over-the-road trucks where as Class 7 trucks are built to be used as local vocational trucks. The Class 7 trucks do fine for a while but as they age, especially after 500,000 miles, the potential for costly repairs goes way up.

Getting back to my original point, not everyone is ready to an owner-operator. To help become a successful owner-operator you should understand basic business principles such budgeting, cash flow analysis, and how to use basic financial software like QuickBooks. You also need to have some working capital so that you can respond to repairs or other needs that may occur when you are on the road. I tell everyone I talk to about becoming an owner-opertor to have about $3K to $5K after you make the down payment on the truck. That is actually one of the smartest uses of the down payment assist loans available from Expediter Services. I would advise a first-time buyer to keep back some of their own capital and borrow part of the down payment to have enough money to begin their owner-operator expenience with much less stress.

My number one concern, especially for first-time buyers, is that they come into the industry with as much information as possible to allow them to make the best choices for themselves. Sometimes it is to move forward now and sometimes it is to drive someone else's truck until they are ready to start their own busuness.

Please feel free to respond with questions or comments here or you may call me at anytime with a question or two.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
my thought on this is, if you are borrowing money to buy a truck [ which most people do ] you shouldnt be borrowing money for the down payment. i am, i dont know what, that expediter services would think that this is a good way to " help " someone purchase a truck. sure, add a debt to a debt. thats like, we'll pay off your car no matter what you owe. then we will roll the the amount your car wasnt worth back into your new loan and make your payment higher. i wouldnt purchase a truck this way. never borrow a down payment.

just sayin, am i wrong? anyone else think this program is a good idea or is it just me ?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
my thought on this is, if you are borrowing money to buy a truck [ which most people do ] you shouldnt be borrowing money for the down payment. i am, i dont know what, that expediter services would think that this is a good way to " help " someone purchase a truck. sure, add a debt to a debt. thats like, we'll pay off your car no matter what you owe. then we will roll the the amount your car wasnt worth back into your new loan and make your payment higher. i wouldnt purchase a truck this way. never borrow a down payment.

just sayin, am i wrong? anyone else think this program is a good idea or is it just me ?

I agree, it is ridiculous. But, it happens all the time. I don't know any of the details of how this stuff works but I would guess that the interest rate on one or both of those loans is astronomical and finance guy is getting a good portion of it for feeding the fire.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I saw a guy walking around a Select Trucks that had just been approved at 25% apr ! It's sad what some people will do ( on both sides of the desk.)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I saw a guy walking around a Select Trucks that had just been approved at 25% apr ! It's sad what some people will do ( on both sides of the desk.)

What is tragic is when this driver goes belly up - he'll blame the trucking industry. WRONG - look in the mirror driver. There's the problem. 25%???

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What is tragic is when this driver goes belly up - he'll blame the trucking industry. WRONG - look in the mirror driver. There's the problem. 25%???

Of course he won't go belly up until he has hurt the entire industry by running freight for .90/mile.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

That's what's wrong. To think someone will take a 25% loan on anything is rediculous. Buying a truck or any other high dollar piece of equipment should be looked at the same way a Mortgage loan is. That's just my opionion. Think about how many of those loans are out there and someone who has a loan like that probably has little business experience and is probably hauling loads for a dollar a mile.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter

Normally, Dynamite, I would agree with you in principle. However, in this case the Finance Guy is probably trying to make a subtle point that having a cash reserve, especially for a buyer with marginal credit, outweighs putting every dollar towards the down payment, thus being left with little or no operating capital.

Not everyone waltzing toward ownership is coming off a terrific winning streak in terms of financial success. Many entering the expedite business have insufficent knowledge of what it takes to make a cash-flow business hum; and fewer have the financial backing to pull them through any rough patches such as a sudden downturn in load volume or emergency repairs, among other unforeseen problems. I'm sure there are numerous instances of shops holding trucks on their lots after needed repairs, with the owner (probably a "newbie") unable to cough up cash or credit necessary to get the unit back on the road.

I don't see the analogy of comparing the financing of a car (which is normally no more than a depreciating asset) with a working truck where financing charges can be expensed off the Schedule C. I was lucky enough to have the wherewithall to pay cash for my first truck (AFTER spending three years driving for other owners to learn the business) but, looking back, at the time I should have jumped through the tight-financing-market-conditions-at-the-time hoops to finance at least a major portion of the price. This would have accomplished two things:

1) I would have kept a large cash reserve aside for initial expenses such as insurance and licensing, operating expenses while awaiting pay from the early loads, and the inevitable repirs necessary on a used truck; plus

2) I would have established myself as an existing borrower of a truck which would have enhanced my ability to buy my second truck, which I'm in the process of doing now.

So, can you borrow too much? Of course! Can you borrow too little?? I think the answer here is yes also.

In any event, I'm attending Finance Guy's session at the Monroe, MI EO 'seminar' next Thursday. I promise to hold his feet to the fire to find out his REAL motives in recommending a strategy that seems so offensive to you!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ok, and that is all it really is, something we personally would never do. its just the fact of borrowing both the down payment and truck purchase money. we all have the option to wait a little while longer to save a little more cash for a down payment. we have no problem with borrowing money for a truck purchase.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, Dynamite, I thought we were pretty much in agreement; that's why I phrased it like I did.

I was simply trying to emphasize how important I feel it is to have something to fall back on, regardless of what situation may cause a financial squeeze once an individual or team is out on the road.

After all, if an owner is successful and the cash reserve grows beyond immediate, potential needs, he or she can then divert some of that cash toward paying down the principal balance(s). That way, a potential financial disaster can always be averted.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
Thinking of buying a truck and plan to apply for a loan next month. What is a "good", "normal", and "bad" interest rate when financing a truck?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Thinking of buying a truck and plan to apply for a loan next month. What is a "good", "normal", and "bad" interest rate when financing a truck?

Are you prepared to wait 2-3 years for FinanceGuy to answer this question?:confused:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would suggest you shop around as your credit score is going to dictate what is your best rate. Also experience in the industry will affect your interest rate.

What size truck are you thinking of purchasing?
Will you go through a dealer? - some have financing
Purchasing New or Used also has different rates
If buying a Freightliner see what rate Daimler will give you ofter that is a very competitive rate
If you have been doing this long enough your local bank might give you the best rate.

With the truck we are in now we checked with our local bank and they beat everyone with rate and terms. We had always used Daimler before.

robertbarnes62

Rookie Expediter
I would suggest you shop around as your credit score is going to dictate what is your best rate. Also experience in the industry will affect your interest rate.

What size truck are you thinking of purchasing?
Will you go through a dealer? - some have financing
Purchasing New or Used also has different rates
If buying a Freightliner see what rate Daimler will give you ofter that is a very competitive rate
If you have been doing this long enough your local bank might give you the best rate.

With the truck we are in now we checked with our local bank and they beat everyone with rate and terms. We had always used Daimler before.

i know my credit will determine what rate I get and I will shop around when I do buy a truck. I plan on getting a class 8 used truck. I was just asking in general terms as far as what kind of range truck loans have.

LARRY EVANS

New Recruit
My wife and I are strongly considering getting back into the expediting business, but I have a few questions:
1. Can we use our personal vehicles to help with down payment for Straight truck(excellent credit)?
2. I know Panther will only accept 10ys or newer, but will they require you to upgrade once your truck is older than 10ys?
3. How is the expediting industry now? We were in this business in 2007-2008 and got out because the truck owner was a very bad business man!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
People are still making money and people are still losing money so that has not changed.

Usually once you have a truck on with a company it can stay as long as it is sound. With the companies I know they will do an annual inspection after so many years just to make sure the truck is reliable and still looks good.

Who ever you get your financing through would probably be the best help to answer questions on using your personal vehicles.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We were in this business in 2007-2008 and got out because the truck owner was a very bad business man!

In my 23 years in the expedite trucking business, 2008 & 2009 were the most difficult. I think there's a name for it...the "Great Recession". The industry has for the most part recovered. Some carriers have even grown far beyond where they were in 2007.

Reactions: Treadmill