And the bigotry continues

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Golfer Bubba Watson says he's going to have the American Flag painted over the Confederate Flag on his car.image.jpg

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Every woman is a potential victim for such attacks, and it colors our perceptions and behaviors in ways you never have to think about. [Remember all the women drivers who won't even get out of the truck at night, or at a rest area?]
Every gay person has to consider the potential for being attacked, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Straight white males have no idea how privileged they are, sometimes. :rolleyes:
Everyone is subject to being attacked just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1435929681.934371.jpg

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

“This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”

Get our emails for free.

The cease and desist came about after Aaron and Melissa Klein participated in an interview with Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins. During the interview, Aaron said among other things, “This fight is not over. We will continue to stand strong.”

Lawyers for plaintiffs, Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer, argued that in making this statement, the Kleins violated an Oregon law banning people from acting on behalf of a place of public accommodation (in this case, the place would be the Kleins’ former bakery) to communicate anything to the effect that the place of public accommodation would discriminate.

>>> For more on religious liberty and same-sex marriage, see Ryan T. Anderson’s new book, “Truth Overruled: The Future of Marriage and Religious Freedom.”

Administrative Law Judge Alan McCullough, who is employed by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries and was appointed by Avakian, threw out the argument in the “proposed order” he issued back in April.

But today, Avakian, who was in charge of making the final ruling in the case—and is also an elected politician—reversed that decision.

>>> Emails Raise Questions About Bias in Case Against Sweet Cakes by Melissa

“The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published … any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations … will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation,” Avakian wrote.

(Photo: Alex Anderson/Facebook)

The Kleins’ lawyer, Anna Harmon, was shocked by the provision.

“Brad Avakian has been outspoken throughout this case about his intent to ‘rehabilitate’ those whose beliefs do not conform to the state’s ideas,” she told The Daily Signal. “Now he has ruled that the Kleins’ simple statement of personal resolve to be true to their faith is unlawful. This is a brazen attack on every American’s right to freely speak and imposes government orthodoxy on those who do not agree with government sanctioned ideas.”

The silencing continues...

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/02/s...make-cake-for-lesbian-couple-fines-them-135k/

Last edited:

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straight white males have no idea how privileged they are, sometimes. :rolleyes:

I am reminded every time I've applied for a job, that has a federal contract. When looking for funding for business, every time someone didn't get there way. Believe me I know how Privileged I am.

In the last couple of decades we have become the scapegoat for everyone's problems or perceived injustices. I know how Privileged I am

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Maybe a small definition of bigotry is in order, you may be surprised that we all have some form of bigotry in ourselves.

Here you go:
The concept of Bigotry can have slightly different meanings in American and British English.

In British English it refers to a state of mind where a person is obstinately, irrationally, or unfairly intolerant of ideas, opinions, or beliefs that differ from their own, and intolerant of the people who hold them.[1][2]

In American English, the term can be used similarly; however, it can also be used to refer to intolerance towards a group of people in general based on their group characteristics such as race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status.[3][4]

I am guessing all of us fit in here somewhere, just saying....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Then why was the baker forced to pay 6 figures for not making a cake for a gay wedding? That's contract work. At the same time, that's a state law that brought about that verdict. If you don't like the state's laws, move. We don't really have that option on a federal law.
Well, you kind of answered your own question, in that is a state law they violated. It's not really contract work in their case since the bulk of their business is cakes, including special order cakes. The lesbian couple didn't request anything out of the ordinary, just a rather generic wedding cake, nothing special about it. The cake would have been baked at the bakery and picked up by the couple at the bakery, so it's not like the bakery had to deliver the cake to the wedding reception (contract work).

But just because they were found guilty of violating the law doesn't mean the verdict was a just or correct one. It wasn't handed down by a judge, but by an elected official with a prejudicial agenda who went as far as placing a First Amendment-violating gag order on the bakers preventing them from talking about it.

If the cake required a special message on it or that it be special delivered, the bakers would likely win on appeal, but that's not the case. The lesbian couple just ordered of the menu. The bakers are likely to win an appeal over the gag order, though.

Reactions: muttly

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Every woman is a potential victim for such attacks, and it colors our perceptions and behaviors in ways you never have to think about. [Remember all the women drivers who won't even get out of the truck at night, or at a rest area?]
Every gay person has to consider the potential for being attacked, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Every person is a potential victim of crime or hate.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As much as I disagree with the hmo lifestyle I do believe they have a right to be served as long as what I'M doing doesn't violate the Word of God.
I don't think it's right to post a sign No ----- allowed. (You fill in the blank)
I own a tire shop and I serve everybody unless they become a disturbance. Now what I really can't is bro's coming in with their pants down showing their rear. I would like to post a sign saying pants must be pulled up but I won't I won't I will take their money and get them in and out as soon as possible.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep. Put a white guy in East Saint Louis or the south side of Chicago and I not sure that a "privileged" feeling is what you would have.
Yep Dave, that's certainly not the adjective for how I feel when I'm there as a female/female driver. Get in, get out. Eyes, Ears and positioning in "protect mode". 5 yrs. now, still doing it solo.
Glad to overhear two males behind some skids watching me say "She could knock you out".
Why, thank you.

Reactions: davekc

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Glad to overhear two males behind some skids watching me say "She could knock you out".
Why, thank you.
What if you had overheard them say, "I'd like to get me some of that sweet ass! Wooohooo!"

I'm just sayin' ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Omy, its time for a break for this thread,imho...
Well, without offering up a reason, then the suggestion is rather meaningless.

I'd honestly like to know what the reaction would be. The thing is, "She could knock you out," is a thoroughly inappropriate comment for someone to make. Yet she was glad to have overheard it. I'm curious to know the reaction to other equally inappropriate comments, such as one like the example offered above. If they reactions aren't identical, then why?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The lady or women in the situation would have to decide that one. IMHO, the women might be athletically strong looking only or a woman could be very pretty, the reaction depends on how the woman sees herself imho.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The lady or women in the situation would have to decide that one. IMHO, the women might be athletically strong looking only or a woman could be very pretty, the reaction depends on how the woman sees herself imho.
Yep. That's why the difference between sexual harassment and flirting is whether or not she thinks you're cute.