Breaking down while on a load

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you broke down while on a load and no vehicle could be located for a transfer what would your company do?
Would they allow you to rent a vehicle to complete the run?
If they had you towed to the receiver who would pay for the tow?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you broke down while on a load and no vehicle could be located for a transfer what would your company do?

I really can't tell you because that part of the breakdown has not happened to me yet?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on too many factors to give a definitive answer. It's up to you to get the load delivered as per the load contact, the carrier will help as best they can since it is ultimately their responsibility to get it delivered.

In most cases, yes, especially a cargo van. It can get tricky for regulated vehicles, tho.

You would, generally speaking. It needs to be a reasonable tow, however. 100, 200 miles, that's on you. 500, 600, 700 miles? Not a chance I would allow my van to be towed that far, at a minimum of $5 a mile, at my cost, to get freight delivered. Other arrangements would have to be made, be it transfer the load to another vehicle (my carrier or another carrier), even if I have to pay the cost to deadhead the other vehicle to my location, or wait until repairs are affected and then continue on and deliver late.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I get that you're not pleased that you're paying the tow bill, Jim. I get that it's like salt in your fresh wound.

Our experience is that we've had one animal collision, and two breakdowns while under a load, both while we were leased to FedEx. In the cow strike, the tow bill was added to our collision repairs. In one of the breakdowns, we were 1.7 miles from the delivery. I never even thought to ask FedEx for the tow. Our premise is that it was our promise - we promised to get the freight from point A to point B at X price. We did exactly as we promised. On the other breakdown, the light going to the switch inside the box for the box lights rubbed inside the box panel and grounded out the top section of box lights. It was a sealed load, non-government, but hazardous, non-secure (not any type of defense). I called and asked permission to break the seal. Nope. I asked if we could call the state police to witness us breaking the seal, and sign off on re-seal. Nope. Got towed 155 miles to the delivery, and had to find tow driver with hazmat endorsement. Soon as we got there, unloaded, and repaired wire. Took all of one minute. I won't elaborate on what the chemical was, but doubt sincerely that this was some type of "mission critical" or true expedite load. It's used in making a food product. Since FedEx never asked to be reimbursed, I never offered. The tow driver could not wrap his head around towing for some bad lights. I also thought it was a little dumb. I let them pay.

All that said, we promised to haul the load. They trusted us to do it, and we're going to do everything in our power to make it happen.

I know. Not what you wanted to hear.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
In this instance my carrier stepped up and helped out. My question is more for the future. Everyone will suffer a breakdown eventually. If its on a load what do you do? How far will they tow? 200 miles, 500, 1000?
Why can't a rental vehicle be used? I talked to my insurance agent and covering a rental for a day or two is not a problem.

Last edited:

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree that there are so many different variables at play it would be hard to set up any type of guidelines. The only thing in my humble opinion is, after its done are you okay with how it turned out. Did you feel like the carrier work with you to get both the freight delivered, and you to a shop so that repairs could be made. If the answer is yes, then life is good. If no, well maybe it's time to examine your relationship with the carrier.

Just my 2 cents

Deville

Not a Member
I had an inner tire flat that I noticed when I made my delivery. I was in the middle of no where PA. After I sent in my POD i asked dispatch if they could help me find a place to get the tire fixed I was told I was on my own. Funny how things change when you aren't under dispatch anymore.

Reactions: RoadTime

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had an inner tire flat that I noticed when I made my delivery. I was in the middle of no where PA. After I sent in my POD i asked dispatch if they could help me find a place to get the tire fixed I was told I was on my own. Funny how things change when you aren't under dispatch anymore.
Why would u need help. Unless u don't have service, which u stated u did because u contacted the dispatch. You can google it with your phone. These dispatchers are a lot busier at work than a lot of us think so. Dispatching drivers while bidding on loads, while trying to keep up additional things that need to get done.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couple of years ago, I had a small shipment from Jersey City, NJ to London, ON CA. Two boxes .. 40 lbs total. Picked up on Fri, due on Sat. Just outside of Syracuse my serpentine belt broke :eek:. Nobody around to rescue the load, especially since it was headed to CA. Bit of luck ... customer was able to accept the goods prior to Sun morning. Next morning, got the Sprinter towed to a shop & rented the cheapest little lunchbox I could. Van wasn't getting fixed till Mon anyway, most Sprinter techs have dentist's hours. Finished up the delivery, no harm no foul. The extra $ for the Canadian load helped smooth over additional costs.

Of course customs pulled me in for a secondary inspection .... scruffy looking guy, plaid flannel jacket, long beard at the time - looking like Mohammed, driving a red Chevy Aveo, carrying 2 brown boxes .... :rolleyes:

I've had a couple of instances where I broke down & was able to transfer the loads. I'm fortunate that the folks I work with focus on primarily getting the delivery accomplished. I haven't gotten screwed from them in regards to the miles I've driven prior to the mechanical failures.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Had mechanical failure once. Got towed to dealer and while they were working on it got rescued by a tractor trailer. 2 pound box! lol

Stay safe
KG

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A truck carrying seafood on ice was towed to the shop where I worked. Compressor failure, engine couldn't run, but the reefer was powered by the truck's engine. It had been down for a few hours at this point, and pink juice was starting to drip.

I have never seen a group of mechanics who mostly didn't like each other voluntarily team up like we did at that moment to get that drippy, stinking pos out of our shop. During the thrash, black SUVs showed up and were pulling coolers of melty seafood out and hauling ass to a nearby refrigeration unit.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Surprised no one mentioned truckdown.com. Saved my butt a few times. I personally haven't been towed to a delivery but has happened to friends. The Fed required it and never charged back the contractor.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a breakdown while loaded once. The power steering failed, left me without steering or brakes (why GM thought putting both systems on the same hydraulic pump, I'll never know). The company made arrangements to have the delivery come and get it from where I was, so that took care of that. It was half a dozen boxes weighing a couple hundred pounds, any car could handle it. Problem: Breakdown was in the middle of nowhere, Minnesota-- and it was just before a holiday. Good luck getting a rental.