Truck Speed Limiter Mandate is Progressing

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drive the 401 through Ontario if you're on the fence about this. It's a nightmare with trucks unable to pass one another and blocking both lanes.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Drive the 401 through Ontario if you're on the fence about this. It's a nightmare with trucks unable to pass one another and blocking both lanes.

.....all while getting lapped by a school bus fool of kids. Wish I was kidding. There are very few times we drive faster than 59.5 mph. The 401 is definitely one of them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
.....all while getting lapped by a school bus fool of kids. Wish I was kidding. There are very few times we drive faster than 59.5 mph. The 401 is definitely one of them.
At that speed the speed limiter law has no effect on you....lol

ATeam

Retired Expediter

It appears America is on track to learn this the hard way.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't like it either. Sometimes, acceleration is the best way to avoid an accident, but the government [or the special interests that buy their way] want to remove any discretion the driver has - it's nuts!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the best way to drive with the old governor as they were called or now speed limiter was to save some pedal...nothing says you must max out......save a little for them accelerator times...
when you think about it...we are already governed...well my sprinter is....ecm is set for 81-82 mph max....when it is capable of about 10 mph more....I and I'll bet your truck is too....they try to idiot proof things these days because alot will max out the engine because we are well....dumb truck drivers...:p

Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Whatever speed you drive, there's nothing that says 65 is enough to escape trouble, either, and I'd prefer to have the option, if & when I need it.
But then, I'd prefer to drive when I feel rested, and rest when I don't, and they sure don't care about that.
Needed a 30 minute break yesterday, less than an hour before delivery. :rolleyes:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
most truck and cars accidents , it is the car that cause the accidents and not the trucks
so they need to teacher all drivers to play well with others

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever speed you drive, there's nothing that says 65 is enough to escape trouble, either, and I'd prefer to have the option, if & when I need it.
But then, I'd prefer to drive when I feel rested, and rest when I don't, and they sure don't care about that.
Needed a 30 minute break yesterday, less than an hour before delivery. :rolleyes:
Reality tho is....its going to be law.....which you have a choice...adapt your driving habits accordingly or leave driving behind....

be nice if 70 mph were the chosen speed...

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like to drive the speed limit and sometimes faster guess I'll just have to be an outlaw on this reg. Good thing there are ways around it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Reality tho is....its going to be law.....which you have a choice...adapt your driving habits accordingly or leave driving behind....

be nice if 70 mph were the chosen speed...

There is a third option: they're not mandating smaller vehicles, as in Sprinter/Transit size, correct? :cool:

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
I just think its dangerous. As mentioned it will cause more of a back up mess and merging traffic will become more difficult for four wheelers.
Instead of the changes there needs to be more enforcement for the safe driving distance and right away laws that exists.

Reactions: cheri1122

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agreed you'll hear about guys getting run over in truck stop parking lots more and wrecks in construction zones. They like to sell it as a saftey measure but it's not about saftey. That's just the ruse ATA members use as cover for what is essentially an anti competitive regulation.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It only calls for limiters on vehicles heavier than 26,000 pounds.
considering some of the big fleets have some type of speed limiting already in place... this isn't a huge step....

its not that bad....instead of a string of trucks going 75 mph all clumped together you have a bunch doing 65...
heck even NASCAR put in speed limiters....would you prefer they call them restricter plates?....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just another stupid governmental move. We have spent millions and years of research to determine split speeds are more dangerous. Soooo, what do they do? Lets have split speed limits again. Followed by more millions spent to determine they are unsafe. :confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just another stupid governmental move. We have spent millions and years of research to determine split speeds are more dangerous. Soooo, what do they do? Lets have split speed limits again. Followed by more millions spent to determine they are unsafe. :confused:
Well Dave many states already have split speeds... Indiana, Illinois, Mich Ohio to name a few ... Where 65 mph is tops for over 13T....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
True, but those run contrary to all of the research that has been done.