Man 30 years on death row freed

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Cases like this are what changed my mind about the death penalty. I might support the idea of death penalty use in cases where the entire crime is on camera and the suspect is easily identified from the video but that should be the lowest standard of proof.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Clear, high-resolution video, DNA with matching results from two independent testing labs, being caught in the act by the father and beaten to a pulp before capture. There is no reason to not have the death penalty in appropriate cases, only to require the proper evidence and proof to enforce it.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If someone is for the death penalty, this case didn't have overwhelming evidence of Hilton's guilt in the murders. There were no eyewitnesses to the two murders or other physical evidence other than the gun and bullets. The prosecutors used evidence from a similar third robbery and forensics from the bullets and gun,supposedly used in all three crimes. It's possible that Hinton didn't commit the murders, but it's not conclusive he didn't do it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Clocked in at work 15 miles away isn't conclusive? Wow!

Um, if that's the whole defense, no, it isn't. Who says he clocked himself in? And remained until he clocked himself out?
I didn't read the article, just pointing out that a stamped time card proves someone stamped it, but that's all.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Clear, high-resolution video, DNA with matching results from two independent testing labs, being caught in the act by the father and beaten to a pulp before capture. There is no reason to not have the death penalty in appropriate cases, only to require the proper evidence and proof to enforce it.

That "life is sacred" isn't reason enough?
Tell us all the reasons why it's ok to kill another human sometimes - but only when some people say it's acceptable.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's been covered before many times. Guilty versus innocent. Personal action versus convenience. No point in going into great detail yet again for those unwilling or incapable of understanding.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's been covered before many times. Guilty versus innocent. Personal action versus convenience. No point in going into great detail yet again for those unwilling or incapable of understanding.

I understand: if someone is convicted, they're guilty, and they deserve to die. A fetus is a baby. A woman's right to self determination depends upon someone else's moral judgement. [And it's not her doctor, or anyone involved in or knowledgeable about the circumstances, either]. That's how it works in upside down world, anyhow. But we don't all live there, in that world.
No point in describing contrary opinions as those of someone who is "unwilling or incapable of understanding" except to dismiss them. Clearly, life is sacred in some situations, [because Wesayso!] but not all [again: Wesayso!] - what could be more straightforward?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You don't think someone could clock in at work, sneak out, and commit the robbery?
Um, if that's the whole defense, no, it isn't. Who says he clocked himself in? And remained until he clocked himself out?
I didn't read the article, just pointing out that a stamped time card proves someone stamped it, but that's all.
OK, I'll accept both.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If independent analysis showed the bullets didn't come from that gun, and he was clocked in at work 15 miles away, it starts to become rather conclusive that he didn't do it.

Reactions: Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If independent analysis showed the bullets didn't come from that gun, and he was clocked in at work 15 miles away, it starts to become rather conclusive that he didn't do it.
Yeah, what he said!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Besides, just the possibility of executing the wrong person, is reason enough to end this folly of vengeful justice once and for all.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, what he said!
For one, clocking in at a work place isn't indisputable proof that he couldn't have left the warehouse,committed the crime, and returned. This has occurred in other crimes. Secondly, an independant analysis couldn't conclude one way or the other,that the gun matched the bullets from the crime scenes.
Article excerpt: (from D.A.)
Bowers said they met with the Vason and Davidson families prior to dropping the charges against Hinton. "Understandably they were upset and frustrated by the news. But ultimately they understood why we couldn't proceed with the prosecution of these cases," he said.

"There's no closure one way or the other," Bowers said. "The experts did not say it did come from the pistol or that it didn't come from the pistol."

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/04/former_alabama_death_row_inmat.html

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think I'll try one more time, for the benefit of the very slow and the very obstinate. It isn't a matter of being convicted. It's a matter of being convicted with the inclusion of high resolution video clearly showing face and clothing that's produced as evidence, like the guy who killed the woman he followed into a store, her body found in the same dress and his very identifiable plaid shorts etc. being found with her blood on them and his face clearly seen as he followed her through the door of the store. Like the husband who killed his wife and when he left her body in the back of her car in the store parking lot chose that time to go into the store to buy dog food, clearly seen on video and time stamped to match the vehicle/body drop. That or DNA evidence confirmed by two independent labs. IOW, conviction with absolute, irrefutable, undeniable proof. Only then is capital punishment an option.

And if this brilliant idea that it's only a fetus is so great then why not make it both sides of the coin. Nine months before birth and nine months after to decide. After all, they only eat and :censoredsign: anyway. I'm sorry but there isn't adequate verbiage to describe the stupidity and ignorance and insensitivity and cruelness of those supporting abortion. Killing an innocent life for convenience, well as mentioned, in that case let's make it convenient for another nine months. Or how about the first two years? How about any time beyond the 80th year as well? By then they are often back to only eating and :censoredsign:ting anyway. Dumber than dirt doesn't nearly cover it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think I'll try one more time, for the benefit of the very slow and the very obstinate. It isn't a matter of being convicted. It's a matter of being convicted with the inclusion of high resolution video clearly showing face and clothing that's produced as evidence, like the guy who killed the woman he followed into a store, her body found in the same dress and his very identifiable plaid shorts etc. being found with her blood on them and his face clearly seen as he followed her through the door of the store. Like the husband who killed his wife and when he left her body in the back of her car in the store parking lot chose that time to go into the store to buy dog food, clearly seen on video and time stamped to match the vehicle/body drop. That or DNA evidence confirmed by two independent labs. IOW, conviction with absolute, irrefutable, undeniable proof. Only then is capital punishment an option.

And if this brilliant idea that it's only a fetus is so great then why not make it both sides of the coin. Nine months before birth and nine months after to decide. After all, they only eat and **** anyway. I'm sorry but there isn't adequate verbiage to describe the stupidity and ignorance and insensitivity and cruelness of those supporting abortion. Killing an innocent life for convenience, well as mentioned, in that case let's make it convenient for another nine months. Or how about the first two years? How about any time beyond the 80th year as well? By then they are often back to only eating and ****ting anyway. Dumber than dirt doesn't nearly cover it.

If you disagree with me, fine - but do me the courtesy of refraining from patronizing and dismissing my opinions, or responding with such utter absurdities as the above.
A fetus is not a baby, period.
The [ever present] adjective "innocent" is wrong as well. Not because a fetus isn't, but because it's strictly to bring an emotional component [namely: guilt and/or shame] into the debate, and that is the surest sign of a losing argument. We don't make the best decisions [especially medical ones] based on emotion, or guilt.
Also: innocent people are killed every single day, without a peep of protest from the anti abortion people who incorrectly call themselves pro life. In fact, many actually applaud the deaths - how "stupid, ignorant, insensitive and cruel is THAT?! It's called 'collateral damage: when innocent [see, I can do it too] civilians, be they children, adults, elderly, or babes in their mothers' arms are killed [accidentally, but they're still DEAD] by the very same soldiers you so fervently support and thank.
But that's ok, because: Wesayso.
Innocent people can die, no problem. But terminate an unwanted pregnancy? You sneer about it being "for convenience", in spite of knowing absolutely nothing about a woman's reasons - as if that mattered at all. A woman's body is not your domain, to make decisions about. With or without a fetus inside, it's not your place, period.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Once I read the article, the evidence on the gun was -[ forgive me], the smoking gun, [dammit!]:banghead:
The timecard doesn't really prove he was at work, but the gun proves he didn't shoot the victim. It's shocking that such shoddy standards were enough to put someone on Death Row, absolutely. And while standards have improved, human nature hasn't: build a better mousetrap, etc. Law enforcement [including politically ambitious prosecutors and judges] can still cause injustices to happen, and as long as they can, the justice system shouldn't be allowed to put qnyone to death.
Of course, I think convicted prisoners should be made to earn their keep, [and work extra for whatever 'extras' they wish to enjoy, like TV, library books, etc].