Sprinter questions

tknight

Veteran Expediter
That extra 140 lbs is the def equipment ! I thought I read somewhere that the extra weight for mandatory pollution equipment is exempt . Although I might have read that wrong , also remember Apu weight is exempted as well.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any truck RATED over 10,000 pounds is subject to HOS, logging and weigh stations. Actual vehicle weight is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any truck RATED over 10,000 pounds is subject to HOS, logging and weigh stations. Actual vehicle weight is irrelevant.
Not true. Any truck rated or weighing over 10,000 pounds is subject to HOS, logging and weigh stations.

Otherwise, if actual weight didn't matter and it was only about the rated weight, you could take a box truck rated at 14,500 pounds and have it de-rated down to 9,999 and then load it so that it weighs 14,000 pounds and not have to log and scale.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/390.5
Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or...

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle ..please reread .. your paragraph 1 proves paragraph 2 Wrong... 14,000 lbs. loaded...

Therion

Active Expediter
Anyways, I decided to look for a late model Ford E350 extended. They just seem like a better value for the money. Does anyone know a good place to find such a van? I looked on ebay, craigslist, and autotrader and can't find anything. Most of these vans are speced for contractor use, beat up, or have 300k miles. Ideally I'd like to find a new left over 2014 model within 200 miles of Chicago. Any leads would be appreciated.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

I should have said carrying less than 10,000 pounds in a vehicle rated 10,001+ pounds is still subject to rated capacity rules.

Reactions: ntimevan

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
There was someone here that used one. They shaved the wheel wells down to the lowest height that they could and built a platform so that the floor was level. They lost several inches of height but felt that the trade off was worth it.
That's Butch and Jennifer, it's worked out well for them but they had to lift the rear of there truck pretty high. Lots of trial and error but they got it figured out.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It doesn't mean that at all. Take the gvw number minus the van weight plus fuel and your personal stuff. The number left over is what you can haul.

Legally and Safty wise ...Yes

But there are some in this Business that haul 3500 to 4000 lbs. regardless of what the legal limts of Available payload weight is or have a lack of Driving Saftly ... and yes some are even EO members....

Reactions: in-Transit

Therion

Active Expediter
It doesn't mean that at all. Take the gvw number minus the van weight plus fuel and your personal stuff. The number left over is what you can haul.

Indeed, I was thinking of the Ford Econoline where the 150 could generally haul 1,500 lbs, the 250 2500 lbs, etc. I'm just trying figure out what he meant by one ton van?

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Indeed, I was thinking of the Ford Econoline where the 150 could generally haul 1,500 lbs, the 250 2500 lbs, etc. I'm just trying figure out what he meant by one ton van?
Your thinking way to much into it. A 1 ton van is just what it's called. Most one ton vans as long as there not filled with to much personal things can legally haul 3000 lbs or more. As long as the van and your freight are under 10,000 lbs your good.

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tonnage designations actually used to correspond to a truck’s payload capacity, but they now are little more than a way of classifying vehicles. The half-ton class is actually capable of around three-quarters of a ton of payload. Three-quarter-ton trucks may carry more than a ton and a half, and one-ton trucks have been known to haul more than twice that, safely. The trucks’ payload rating and/or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) are the only way to know.