WYOMING TRUCK ACCIDENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
More video from this wreck; horrific.

News reports cite fog as a contributing factor. It's not fog, it's people driving too fast in fog that is responsible for this. When we were driving, Diane and I were always amazed at the many trucks and cars that would drive fast through fog, leaving themselves no chance if an unanticipated obstacle appeared suddenly out of the fog ahead.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/tra...sed-due-to-hazardous-material-burning04202015

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
The video linked is two separate crashes, about a week apart on I-80 in WY. Be interesting to read the investigative reports when all shakes out, in the second one, they arrested a driver already, so they must of had evidence against him other than "bad weather". What you can do is run with your CB on AND drive a speed prudent for the conditions and below a certain speed on an interstate that might just mean parking it. Way too many drivers of both four wheelers and 18 wheelers do NOT give themselves enough room to stop, if you can't stop in the distance you can see, you are going too fast.

I think we may start to see more tickets being handed out after these events, the one in Michigan a month or so ago resulted in a large percentage of drivers being cited after the fact, I would guess just about everyone that rear ended someone, probably if you only got rear ended you didn't get a ticket would be my guess.

Sure somebody may wreck, but to have dozens of crashes after that shouldn't be the necessary result!

Shelby

Reactions: Moot

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Here is an update on the second crash from Wyoming Highway Patrol:

*Second Update*

Two fatalities have been confirmed from this crash and that is projected to be the final number of fatalities involved. 58 year old Lynn Freeman of Williford, Arkansas and 23 year old Jenay L. Breden of Westminster, Colorado were pronounced deceased on scene. The two females were in separate vehicles during the crash.

The total number of vehicles involved has been increased to 64.

The decision to arrest and charge Mr. Dragaytsev was based upon evidence from the investigation and conference with the Albany County Attorney's Office. The specific evidence leading to that arrest is part of the pending criminal investigation and is not releasable at this time.

Interstate 80 eastbound reopened last night at 11:24 p.m. and westbound traffic is still being rerouted on US 30 from Laramie to Walcott Junction. Westbound is projected to reopen sometime this morning. Again, updates on the closure can be found at www.wyoroad.info or by calling 1-888-WYO-ROAD.

Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead by checking road and weather conditions before traveling in higher elevations such as Wyoming, follow digital message sign warnings and variable speed limits, decrease speeds and increase following distances when they encounter inclement weather and to always buckle up.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have been watching the videos on all of the accidents to see a way out if we are ever in one of these situations. As I see it even if you stop in time you are probably going to get hit. It appears that if you can get over as far as possible to the right side of the road or even to the ditch you will not get stuck in the area that gets hit over and over again. The last thing you want to do for a car or a truck is get into that funnel that is formed. Very very scary stuff

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr. Goodtude posted this video last week on FB.

For at least 4 minutes after the initial wreck trucks kept flying down the road into it. Obviously the road surface was icy but visibility appeared to be fair, at least not whiteout conditions.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've made up my mind, only loads for me over the winter will be in the south, that is if I work at all between Dec. and April... Then again I might spend my winter someplace where it's warm, the golf is good...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
past%20present111_zpshhzssrwp.png

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Mr. Goodtude posted this video last week on FB.

For at least 4 minutes after the initial wreck trucks kept flying down the road into it. Obviously the road surface was icy but visibility appeared to be fair, at least not whiteout conditions.

Male egos and deadlines...............................

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Moot asks, "Is there a connection?"

I believe there may well be. There is no question that CB radio use has declined with the rise of smart phones. Had all those Wyoming-crash trucks had their CB's on, most would have learned of the hazard before crashing into it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also believe the repeal of the national speed limit has led to an increase of these spectacular crashes.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moot asks, "Is there a connection?"

I believe there may well be. There is no question that CB radio use has declined with the rise of smart phones. Had all those Wyoming-crash trucks had their CB's on, most would have learned of the hazard before crashing into it.

It's not the smartphones to blame, it's the jackasses who have taken over the CB, flooding it with their immaturity. I turned mine off years ago, sigh.