August. Where you at,

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we tend to get temp swings out there!....heck we could get snow next month if the wind blows right!

Well first week of a new month...not expecting a big bang now...shippers cleaned their docks off last week!...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First 2 weeks of August used to be prime vacation weeks to off in most plants I worked....with the last 2 weeks being next as it runs into Labour Day giving them extra time....so plant slowdowns are ongoing...but the ones I noticed last week that are running are doing a lot of O/T.....

Reactions: ntimevan

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a Call this am for a Short Run. Dispatcher didn't know the weight.
Couldn't help her with that. I accepted the load with my offer.
No call back.
Heard there's a Qualcomm App that Bolt-Express can put on your phone and remove the Qualcomm from your Van.
Great! That'd save me about $120/month. I don't have a Smart Phone or IPhone, but DO have a current IPad with AT&T Wireless, Location Services and of course numerous Apps. Not understanding why the QC App can't be installed onto my iPad. The Driver Relations employee emailed me saying I need a Smart Phone, that they can't install it on an IPad. Anyone here knowledgable in IT and can explain this inability to me please? My Verizon Plan is fairly new but the savings on no longer paying $130 monthly for the QC would cover buying myself a new Smart Phone. Thanks for your thoughts.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
No call back.
Heard there's a Qualcomm App that Bolt-Express can put on your phone and remove the Qualcomm from your Van.
Great! That'd save me about $120/month. I don't have a Smart Phone or IPhone, but DO have a current IPad with AT&T Wireless, Location Services and of course numerous Apps. Not understanding why the QC App can't be installed onto my iPad. The Driver Relations employee emailed me saying I need a Smart Phone, that they can't install it on an IPad. Anyone here knowledgable in IT and can explain this inability to me please? Thanks.
Not a clue! lol

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No call back.
Great! That'd save me about $120/month. I don't have a Smart Phone or IPhone, but DO have a current IPad with AT&T Wireless, Location Services and of course numerous Apps. Not understanding why the QC App can't be installed onto my iPad. The Driver Relations employee emailed me saying I need a Smart Phone, that they can't install it on an IPad. Anyone here knowledgable in IT and can explain this inability to me please? My Verizon Plan is fairly new but the savings on no longer paying $130 monthly for the QC would cover buying myself a new Smart Phone. Thanks for your thoughts.
That is like asking why a Windows program won't work on a Mac....they are 2 different animals...

Reactions: vandriver2

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, Ken, Thanks, as I said, I am not knowledgable in why my IPad with Apps, is different from a Smart Phone with Apps.
Both have Apps is all I know, both are Wireless and have Location Services.
Okay, so if I need to purchase a Smart Phone to save the $120 monthly by removing the QC from my van, what type of Verizon Smart Phone should I purchase. Don't know anything about a 'Smart Phone'.
If it's going to cost me $120 per month to upgrade to a Smart Phone, it makes no sense money wise to have the QC removed from my van. Know what I'm saying?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What type of "Smart Phone" do you have and may I ask what you pay Monthly to use it?
I pay $28.85 for my LG Verizon Cell Phone and $31 for my IPad with AT&T Monthly.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't take what a drivers relations person says as gospel in regards to an IT question. Many apps are designed for phones but work fine on a tablet, they might just not look as clean on a bigger screen. But you're right, your iPad has the same data connection as a phone so unless the app is tied into a phone number (which your tablet may have, my Verizon one did), then I'd want a better explanation on why it won't work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What type of "Smart Phone" do you have and may I ask what you pay Monthly to use it?
I pay $28.85 for my LG Verizon Cell Phone and $31 for my IPad with AT&T Monthly.
its probably close to 120...$40.00 for data access alone without the other stuff....plus cost of phone....but they do have deals for people switching Verizon was offering $300 just to switch....you'd have to work out the math yourself...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't take what a drivers relations person says as gospel in regards to an IT question. Many apps are designed for phones but work fine on a tablet, they might just not look as clean on a bigger screen. But you're right, your iPad has the same data connection as a phone so unless the app is tied into a phone number (which your tablet may have, my Verizon one did), then I'd want a better explanation on why it won't work.
we are talking Bolt here.....LOL.....

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
What kind of Smart Phone are they talking about? I-Phones are smart phones, so are Android phones. If they have the app working on I-Phones there is no reason why it can't work on an I-Pad. Well, there are...but....

I suspect that they only have the app for Android and not for the I-Phones.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have sent out numerous emails this morning to Bolt employees (and Amber in IT) asking these exact questions.
Thanks for your Reply.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What kind of Smart Phone are they talking about? I-Phones are smart phones, so are Android phones. If they have the app working on I-Phones there is no reason why it can't work on an I-Pad. Well, there are...but....

I suspect that they only have the app for Android and not for the I-Phones.
That's why I have been questioning this. Geez Louise, do I need to call Verizon and repeat what I've asked Drivers Realtions....I have to be the go between to get my questions answered. It's frustrating when no one replies. They're either busy or don't know enough to answer my questions and aren't a big enough person to just plain say "I don't know the answer to that, let me put our best IT person on it!". I don't want to have to pay for a new Plan and New Phone if I don't have to. The whole reason for me to get rid of the QC is to rid myself of the $120 monthly Deduction.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd get them to let me access or download the app then go into a Verizon store or computer shop and go from there. Or throw twenty bucks at any teenager and they'll figure it out.
but they said they CAN'T download the App onto my IPad. Only a Smart Phone.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just thought I would derail the derail lol, I am in Dayton, OH hoping for a run out and back for the day, will be off for 5 days starting Wednesday...father is retiring, and also get my daughter before she goes back to school.