Modern Life In Appalachia

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My family is from KY.. my wife's is from WV..
My (maternal) grandmother was born in WV ...

Ain't nothing says hillbilly quite like having a father named Zebedee ... and being named Zena ... and then having your sisters named Zelpha, Zella, Zora, Zara and Zerelda ...

I can only imagine how relieved and thankful the four brothers were that ol' great-grandpappy Zeb decided to confine that naming convention to the girls ...

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do hope we don't have to wait as long as we had to wait to hear back on how invading Afghanistan was done to protect the US Constitution.
I missed this little quip in the first read, and confess that I have no idea what you're talking about - but then again, I remember very few of the details in older posts I've made over the past 10 years. However, I'm sure you can refresh my memory, even though the subject matter has nothing to do with life in Appalachia.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I missed this little quip in the first read, and confess that I have no idea what you're talking about - but then again, I remember very few of the details in older posts I've made over the past 10 years. However, I'm sure you can refresh my memory, even though the subject matter has nothing to do with life in Appalachia.
As RLENT pointed out, it was Iraq, not Afghanistan. And you're right, it's off topic in this thread. I'm sure it will get brought up again somewhere else.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The question is why is it ALLOWED to be continuesly brought up in different threads?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The question is why is it ALLOWED to be continuesly brought up in different threads?
Because people are people and they have a right, within reason, to make comments or ask questions about things they feel are important. Because it's not an attempt to hijack a thread or change the topic. If we cut people off every time they made a comment that was slightly off topic then these forums would quickly come to a grinding halt. The question you just asked is one that changes the topic, though, because it requires an answer. But it's not one that requires a lot of discussion, so it shouldn't change the topic for very long or derail the thread.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just thinking out loud. ..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1400524463265.jpg
    1400524463265.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As RLENT pointed out, it was Iraq, not Afghanistan. And you're right, it's off topic in this thread. I'm sure it will get brought up again somewhere else.
Good - I'd like to see the post I made claiming the invasion of Iraq was "done to protect the US constitution". However, I'm not going to be holding my breath since I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Because ignoring a direct question about one's claims/comments is generally seen as an admission that one has no answer, and therefore, lacks credibility.
Your response to my comment that women aren't allowed to be priests was "So what?"
And here's the answer: if women had been allowed to become priests, and be promoted within the church to positions of authority [as they proved competent], the same as men, perhaps the pedophile priests wouldn't have been allowed to escape the consequences of their actions, and more important, thousands of innocent lives wouldn't have been ruined. Catholics care about innocent lives even after they're born, don't they?
What those pedophiles cost their victims will never be known, but here's a [partial] list of what they cost the Catholic Church [in millions] to settle lawsuits:

Dallas: $30.9 in 98
Louisville: $25.7 in 03
Boston: $85 in 03
Orange: $100 in 04
Portland: $75 in 07
Seattle: $48 in 07
Los Angeles: $660 in 07
San Diego: 198 in 08

I believe that the pedophiles were not held to account by the superior clergymen designated to 'judge', because it was a crime that the judges, even while abhoring it, [and probably unconciously] could understand. [The same thing happens in DUI and rape cases, BTW]
If women were judging pedophiles, that wouldn't have happened. Not because women are never pedophiles, but because so few are.
That's a pretty big "what", if you ask me - and you did.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because ignoring a direct question about one's claims/comments is generally seen as an admission that one has no answer, and therefore, lacks credibility.
Your response to my comment that women aren't allowed to be priests was "So what?"
And here's the answer: if women had been allowed to become priests, and be promoted within the church to positions of authority [as they proved competent], the same as men, perhaps the pedophile priests wouldn't have been allowed to escape the consequences of their actions, and more important, thousands of innocent lives wouldn't have been ruined. Catholics care about innocent lives even after they're born, don't they?
What those pedophiles cost their victims will never be known, but here's a [partial] list of what they cost the Catholic Church [in millions] to settle lawsuits:

Dallas: $30.9 in 98
Louisville: $25.7 in 03
Boston: $85 in 03
Orange: $100 in 04
Portland: $75 in 07
Seattle: $48 in 07
Los Angeles: $660 in 07
San Diego: 198 in 08

I believe that the pedophiles were not held to account by the superior clergymen designated to 'judge', because it was a crime that the judges, even while abhoring it, [and probably unconciously] could understand. [The same thing happens in DUI and rape cases, BTW]
If women were judging pedophiles, that wouldn't have happened. Not because women are never pedophiles, but because so few are.
That's a pretty big "what", if you ask me - and you did.
Actually the so what comment was in reference to Rlent's post. So your facts are wrong on that count. I just don't think because there are no female priests, it isn't a good example of how the Christian religion is abusing women. It's a tradition. Just like nuns are women and friars are men. That is all. Regarding the gay priests abusing little boys. The reason there might be more incidents than gay women priests is because the gay male priests have close proximity to little boys. Regarding not answering questions. You have not answered questions before also in other posts so what does that say about your credibility?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Actually the so what comment was in reference to Rlent's post. So your facts are wrong on that count.

It was Turtle, not RLENT - your facts are wrong. And even though it was Turtle's comment you quoted, it was my question about priests that he was responding to. And you claimed that nuns hit people upside the head with their habits, which begs another question: are they wearing them when they do that? :p

I just don't think because there are no female priests, it isn't a good example of how the Christian religion is abusing women. It's a tradition. Just like nuns are women and friars are men. That is all.

Please stop saying "abusing" - that's not what I said. What I said is repressing, and that it's just as damaging as Sharia, only the damage isn't so obvious.

Regarding the gay priests abusing little boys. The reason there might be more incidents than gay women priests is because the gay male priests have close proximity to little boys.

The priests who sexually abuse children are not gay. Their proximity to children is their only recourse to the normal human desire for sex, because other adults would shame them. The whole vow of chastity thing is unnatural, which makes pedophiles of men, same as prison makes men gay, because it's the only way to have sex. Otherwise, it wouldn't be their choice.

Regarding not answering questions. You have not answered questions before also in other posts so what does that say about your credibility?

I don't make a habit of ignoring them, as some do. So, again: do those women you mentioned, who "run everything" in the church, do they make the important decisions, like buying or selling church property? :confused:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
At the suggestion of the vaunted EO moderation staff, a PM has been sent in lieu of a post.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Conceivably, "And you're right, it's off topic in this thread," was too ethereal and tenuous. Rather than completely removing an 8-foot section of the track under which this thread travels, perhaps a link, maybe even sent via a PM, would have sufficed in refreshing the memory of Mr. Pilgrim.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Conceivably, "And you're right, it's off topic in this thread," was too ethereal and tenuous.
LOL ... could be ...

Rather than completely removing an 8-foot section of the track under which this thread travels, perhaps a link, maybe even sent via a PM, would have sufficed in refreshing the memory of Mr. Pilgrim.
Rectified and PM sent ...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no scientific evidence of that what so ever.
So you would disagree with Cheri's opinion as well that the whole chastity thing is unnatural, and makes pedophiles of men? Having celebate gay priests doesn't sexually repress them enough to eventually act on their impulses in some cases?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So you would disagree with Cheri's opinion as well that the whole chastity thing is unnatural, and makes pedophiles of men? Having celebate gay priests doesn't sexually repress them enough to eventually act on their impulses in some cases?
Having celibate straight priests does the same thing, clearly.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

There is no valid scientific evidence that following a vow of chastity causes men to become pedophiles. It is unnatural, and difficult, which is why it is called "making a sacrifice". It is ONLY a tradition, and someday, like all traditions, it too will change.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Conceivably, "And you're right, it's off topic in this thread," was too ethereal and tenuous. Rather than completely removing an 8-foot section of the track under which this thread travels, perhaps a link, maybe even sent via a PM, would have sufficed in refreshing the memory of Mr. Pilgrim.
You're the one who made the public insinuation in this thread about an unrelated post I supposedly made in the not-so-recent past and didn't explain, so it would seem logical that a public clarification would be in order - especially since you and your little friend are having a public conversation about an inaccurate post I may or may not have made. In the meantime I'll continue to wait for my serving of crow, either in the open or by PM if you prefer.

Last edited: