the muti carrier driver push

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You know I've been sitting on this information for over a month? I just didn't want to cause another controversy on here. I bite my tongue a lot these days. That's why I disappeared for a few months!

Just make sure you get the conversations in the proper forums or they send the EO Gestapo after you....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
There should never be a straight thru 1200 SOLO run.

I have a friend who runs for a smaller carrier in a s/t....Washington to boston...3,100 ,miles...in 3 days..then re-loaded, and did it again...so, over 6 thousand miles in 6 days...not good.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your used to long loads they become easier to do from my experience. If you normally do 2 or 3 hundred miles between rests and suddenly get say 900 miles its much harder.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I won't say I never did 1000 mile plus days in a TT, when I was younger and dumber.

The fact that you feel it was an amazing feat tells me it was probably challenging. If challenging it was probably unsafe.

The most I ever did in a TT was 1150 miles in a 24 hour period which included unloading twice and loading once. The longest drive I had was 36 hours only stopping for fuel once and a drop and hook to take the load from a driver that wanted to run legally. Both of these were done for the company I started with and they encouraged and rewarded those that ran illegally. It still didn't matter the company folded and they were bought out by Celadon so putting in the effort did nothing to further my career and only put it at risk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I've just had too many birthdays-- I'm 58, so the days of being a "spring chicken" are long behind me-- but the idea of doing over a thousand miles non-stop seems to me to be sheer idiocy. I don't care if I'm in a van and therefore not regulated, I'm also in a human body that gets tired. Maybe I don't need a full 8 hours, but I will need some time.

About the subject of this thread: I haven't heard anything about having to get my own numbers. I have been told that my carrier had a job finding an insurer that covered vans, he has one and I'm paying 60 a week for liability and cargo through the company these days.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
My longest run was starting off south of Cleveland Ohio then DH to the load in Sterljng Heights Michigan and finally driving all night to Dublin Va to that big Volvo truck plant. Can't really remember the total miles but I remember it paid well and I went to sleep and I drop it off.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
I just got informed i now need a mc/dot number to run for at least one compeny so far anyone else get hit yet
Do you have liability (750k-1 million) and cargo insurance (industry standard 100k)?
Just curious, I don't know much about what is required from the carriers to be a "multi-carrier", or Independent Contractor.
This has been an interesting thread to read, even if it's gotten alittle off topic..lol

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If your used to long loads they become easier to do from my experience. If you normally do 2 or 3 hundred miles between rests and suddenly get say 900 miles its much harder.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

True dat!!! I feel "lazy" when the 700-900 loads pop after a few days of 150-300 milers.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes, $1M liab, $1M gen liab, $100K cargo should be everyone's minimum.

Since we're off topic I think my longest "day" was 1900 miles. Not again, I don't think. Dayton, New Balto, MI, East Tawas, Stephenville, TX, Irving. There are guys that go MUCH farther. I just don't know how. Don't care. Some people are just machines, I guess. Not me. If I roll early and rested, I'm good for LOTS of miles. Like 1000-1200. If I don't get "the call" until late afternoon I'm only good for 400-600 max. If I get "the call" Monday morning, after sleeping well all weekend, I'm good for 1300-1500 miles. But the protect times ALWAYS allow for a good nap. I take them. No need to be a hero!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Hey guys!!! Sbarrett in da house!! What up, Stevo?!?! Hope all is well. Hope MI treated you well. Back in Clinton country by now?

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
OUCH!!! Biting your tongue can be painful. Got a lot I could say about all this BS, but I try to minimize the drama and trauma in my life. So for now, in the words of Forest Gump "that's all I gotta say bout that."

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
OUCH!!! Biting your tongue can be painful. Got a lot I could say about all this BS, but I try to minimize the drama and trauma in my life. So for now, in the words of Forest Gump "that's all I gotta say bout that."

So let's see... You don't have anything to say but you felt the need to tell us you have nothing to say...is that about right?

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
Yes, $1M liab, $1M gen liab, $100K cargo should be everyone's minimum.

I assumed YOU did Murray...I was curious about the guys without their own MC#..
Detroit was awesome, I tried to raise enough money to buy it...but I think I just made it worse.