the muti carrier driver push

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talked to an eclipse driver tonight. According to him they are changing to exclusive use drivers and being told they must purchase insurance via eclipse. His words not mine I can not verify it in any way.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I know me personally I would rather have 1 long run of excess of 700 miles from my company my owner leases with than 5 300 mile runs they given me back to back to back and so on. Sure I could have turned them but my dad doesnt like me doing that :( Too bad I dont listen to him and turn em down anyways lol

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Sure, the long ones are less stressful that back to back shorties, but I'll take 'em both. Many of my $1000+ days were actually 3 back to back shorter loads. Stressful and hurried? Usually. But they don't happen very often so it's not like it's too much to handle.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Naturally one would say that if a carrier keeps giving you false information, leave them.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Sure, the long ones are less stressful that back to back shorties, but I'll take 'em both. Many of my $1000+ days were actually 3 back to back shorter loads. Stressful and hurried? Usually. But they don't happen very often so it's not like it's too much to handle.

The short trips usually have a nice premium which boosts your per mile rate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Someone is misinformed. Or they don't have carrier authority and want their trucks to carry their own.

I know who this carrier might possibly be. They may have cancelled their operating authority and will use their broker authority to broker out loads to drivers who have their own authority. That will make it legal for them to run trucks without having carrier authority. This is a very good idea and It cuts back on insurance costs. I'm not gonna name the name of the carrier I think is doing this, but a good search on safer web will yield you all of the information that you need to know.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
5mins after i posted lol i got called about my post . At $500 for a mc/dot munber i am going to have to rethink who i run for.

Why the heck don't you get your own loads. Get your MC number and get access to the load boards. Cut out the middle man. There are a lot of loads you can get on your own without some middle man bidding on it for you!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
The short trips usually have a nice premium which boosts your per mile rate.

THAT'S why my loaded mile average was $1.212 the last time I checked. More labor (labour for OVM) and fewer miles. But I kill the benefit by DHing home so much. However I did get my DH down to 20.85% since 6/24. Through a couple of weeks ago.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Talked to an eclipse driver tonight. According to him they are changing to exclusive use drivers and being told they must purchase insurance via eclipse. His words not mine I can not verify it in any way.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

My research last night and this morning indicates this carrier is the one requiring their drivers to get their own MC number. My question is this: If this company wants their drivers to have an MC number then they would effectively become a carrier, correct? If this is true then, assuming Eclipse has an MC number, wouldn't accepting loads in this arrangement itself be double brokering?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Why the heck don't you get your own loads. Get your MC number and get access to the load boards. Cut out the middle man. There are a lot of loads you can get on your own without some middle man bidding on it for you!

Some of those "gets" are easier than others.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My research last night and this morning indicates this carrier is the one requiring their drivers to get their own MC number. My question is this: If this company wants their drivers to have an MC number then they would effectively become a carrier, correct? If this is true then, assuming Eclipse has an MC number, wouldn't accepting loads in this arrangement itself be double brokering?

I believe so.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There should never be a straight thru 1200 SOLO run.

I did 1200 miles direct after a 250 mile deadhead before. I was working for a very large and reputable carrier at the time. I managed to get a 30 minute sleep break in an industrial parking lot about 150 miles out from the consignee. I delivered the load about 2 hours early. Not too shabby!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup. If you look up Eclipse on safer web you will see that they now only have broker authority.
Eclipse never had common carrier authority (which required both liability and cargo insurance), but they did at one time have contract carrier authority (granted 02/28/11, involuntarily revoked 08/05/13). Contract carrier authority only requires liability insurance.

On October 1 of 2013, the surety bond for broker authority went from $10,000 to $75,000. That may be a factor.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I won't say I never did 1000 mile plus days in a TT, when I was younger and dumber.

The fact that you feel it was an amazing feat tells me it was probably challenging. If challenging it was probably unsafe.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I won't say I never did 1000 mile plus days in a TT, when I was younger and dumber.

The fact that you feel it was an amazing feat tells me it was probably challenging. If challenging it was probably unsafe.

Yes it was probably unsafe. But I needed money at that time and you have to grab the runs when they come. If you cherry pick in expediting you can sit for a long time. What got me is when someone from the company called me and told me that I was a human being and that they got me an extra 2 hours on the load. lol. It all worked out. I got the load delivered early, I got paid, and no one got injured in the process. When I come back out on the road again (due to recent health problems) I will be slowing down a lot. I'm gonna stay in the core areas and try and run shorter loads instead of the Michigan to Laredo type of stuff.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
You know I've been sitting on this information for over a month? I just didn't want to cause another controversy on here. I bite my tongue a lot these days. That's why I disappeared for a few months!

Yeah, probably a good thing. Your carcass would have picked clean by now!