Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as we use proper grammar does freight really matter? :D

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
As long as we use proper grammar does freight really matter? :D

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123
It would be hard to count the load offers I have received as a direct result of using proper grammar on internet discussion forums.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I am seeing a lot of "guessing" here...most of which is based on personal political or business perspectives...seems to me all that we little guys know for sure is...

Economy is slow..therefore freight is slow...

We ARE in the slow season...

The van market is saturated

Other than these facts we are pretty much in the dark...

....except perhaps for "the shelled one"... He probably knows some website that shows total truck loads broken down by category, can hack into databases showing who's getting what loads...etc, etc...

Do a webinar for us Turtle...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
....except perhaps for "the shelled one"... He probably knows some website that shows total truck loads broken down by category, can hack into databases showing who's getting what loads...etc, etc...
I don't even know how many trucks are at my carrier, much less who is getting the loads. All I know is it ain't me getting them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There goes OVM talking down the game to get more people to leave the sport. lol

Better yet... We'll tell everyone you were responsible for the last few thousand that signed up because YOU told em all there was room in the pool! lol

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I can always tell how slow van freight is by the number of van owners I have calling and hitting the recruiting extension. I've had 6 this week, and I've told them all the same thing. Get a straight truck.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I can always tell how slow van freight is by the number of van owners I have calling and hitting the recruiting extension. I've had 6 this week, and I've told them all the same thing. Get a straight truck.

Not sure that is the answer at the moment....I have two and one hasn't moved in a week, after two short runs last week. As for the economy being slow...maybe certain segments, but Wall Street seems to be doing pretty well and the USD has had a good week. Not much alternative than to slosh through the bad times and hope for better ones soon.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yeah. You can wait in comfort.
Funny you say that. That is one of the best things about my van. It is a lot more comfortable than my straight truck ever was. When empty, waiting for a load, I have 14' feet of space compared to the 72" sleeper in the straight. There is really no comparison. The only advantage to a straight truck over a van is the ability to keep them loaded more. That's my experience anyway.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Funny you say that. That is one of the best things about my van. It is a lot more comfortable than my straight truck ever was. When empty, waiting for a load, I have 14' feet of space compared to the 72" sleeper in the straight. There is really no comparison. The only advantage to a straight truck over a van is the ability to keep them loaded more. That's my experience anyway.

Plus you are welcome to go wherever you want in a van, not so in a truck. So, there are more places available to you to spend money that you're not making in times like these!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Plus you are welcome to go wherever you want in a van, not so in a truck. So, there are more places available to you to spend money that you're not making in times like these!
Exactly! You could really have a lot of fun out there...if you could make enough money to afford it!

I'm gonna re-think my game plan a bit. Maybe I'll marry an expediter and put her in a straight truck, that way I'll have some income to "share" and I can enjoy the van more? Whatcha think? :D

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Exactly! You could really have a lot of fun out there...if you could make enough money to afford it!

I'm gonna re-think my game plan a bit. Maybe I'll marry an expediter and put her in a straight truck, that way I'll have some income to "share" and I can enjoy the van more? Whatcha think? :D

And you don't even have to be in the same state...sounds like the perfect plan! (God will get me for saying that on my wedding anniversary...or at least my wife would if she knew about it).

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Valentines day anniversary. Well, happy aniversary to you and the wife. I waited 4 days after valentines day for mine. Im at 17, how bout you.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
The one thing that might come from all this is, we might lose some of the capacity of trucks and vans that are currently saturating the market. Not that I wish that on anyone but it happened in 08 when we had the fuel price increase. This could do the same and this recent fuel price increase will add to the problem.

legit1

Active Expediter
Freight's been pretty good for me, but I'm with a carrier that has a fairly diverse freight base. I'm not sure what the percentage of auto is, but it's certainly below 50%.

Who are you with? I would like to go where the freight aka money is!

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Over here at the big cat! I've been busy since dec. and I took two weeks off the last two of dec . I did from the 1 st of dec till the 18 th of right at 8200 miles then jan I went back on the 2nd and ran 11500 miles best month ever now this month I've got half way thru at 6000 miles but I'm about to take a week off next week so you all can have some freight