New Dodge Promaster VAn

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see a lot of them being tested in the Detroit area. No idea what the powertrains are but definitely front wheel drive. They look good.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Crap.
now i have yet another van to test drive for you vanner's when i go to Israel this winter...
like the Fraud Transit was not enough homework...
oh, well...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Crap.
now i have yet another van to test drive for you vanner's when i go to Israel this winter...
like the Fraud Transit was not enough homework...
oh, well...

brake%20for%20moose%202%20twn.JPG

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The huge majority of cars are fwd works great on them.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be great for traction I would think.
In cargo van, where is the majority of your weight? Well at least when loaded. Personally I wouldn't consider front wheel drive for a van used in expediting. Call me ignorant, old fashioned or both. They all apply.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In cargo van, where is the majority of your weight? Well at least when loaded. Personally I wouldn't consider front wheel drive for a van used in expediting. Call me ignorant, old fashioned or both. They all apply.

I am not sure how it would work. I have always been surprised they didn't make pick up trucks fwd so there could be a reason. But the freight being behind the drives wheels making a difference not sure. Works for towing and tractor trailors. Perhaps in one continues vehicle it is different. Sprinters are fine in the winter loaded but empty sometimes traction can be lacking.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Front wheel drive , will that be good or bad news?

jimmy

Empty probably some degree of help with the drivetrain weight concentrated at the drive wheels. Loaded, especially heavy near max gvw, I'd think it would be less benefit, maybe no benefit and maybe even a detriment.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters are fine in the winter loaded but empty sometimes traction can be lacking.
Same with my Chevy. In the winter I carry four 70# tubes of sand. Two are in the right footwell of the side door and two are along the right wall. When empty or lightly loaded the ballast is over the rear axle or as close as possible depending on the load.

Read skid marks on the road. Yeah, its more difficult since ABS has become standard. With the advent of front wheel drive cars, especially the mini van, 180°+ skids have become much more common. The driver hits the brakes, the majority of the weight is over the front axle, which also accounts for most of the braking, and the light rear end wants to pass the near stationary front end.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same with my Chevy. In the winter I carry four 70# tubes of sand. Two are in the right footwell of the side door and two are along the right wall. When empty or lightly loaded the ballast is over the rear axle or as close as possible depending on the load.

Read skid marks on the road. Yeah, its more difficult since ABS has become standard. With the advent of front wheel drive cars, especially the mini van, 180°+ skids have become much more common. The driver hits the brakes, the majority of the weight is over the front axle, which also accounts for most of the braking, and the light rear end wants to pass the near stationary front end.

OK another question on the braking. Vehicles have front and rear brakes with most of the weight over the front regardless of drive wheels. That being said why does fwd cause more 180's?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK another question on the braking. Vehicles have front and rear brakes with most of the weight over the front regardless of drive wheels. That being said why does fwd cause more 180's?
I don't have any valid proof to support my theory, just observations over the years and miles. Like Leo pointed out, rwd vehicles have the extra weight of the driveshaft and differential at the rear. It has been my experience that in the past 25 years or so, I see more 180° + skids on dry pavement. Could be ethanol or metric sized fasteners.

Also in the last 20 years or so I have notice more car fires, or scorched pavement as the result of car fires. I attribute this to fuel injected gasoline engines. Again, just a Moot observation with no data to back me up.

Given the choice of fwd or rwd for our line of work, I'd go with rear wheel drive, but that's just me. The only front wheel drive car I have ever owned was a 1994 Saturn, and I didn't drive it much.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've driven both FWD and RWD vehicles over my 40+ years of driving (I'm 57 now), so I have some experience. FWD is WORSE in snow and ice. You might-- might-- have more initial traction, but once a FWD car goes into a skid you can't get control back until the car stops moving. I've proven it too often, and let me tell you that is one scary ride if there's any speed involved. Steering and braking have no or only marginal effect and everything is concentrated on the front wheels. On the other hand, RWD gave me much better control. Having the drive wheels in the rear helps in slippery conditions--- so much so that I have deliberately initiated a skid in a RWD to get around a corner in snowy weather. I had that much control that not only was initiating the skid safe, it was the right thing to do to get around the corner in snow. Back off of the power and the car stops skidding.

Consider this: At the tire place I do business with, if you buy only two new tires they will automatically place your older tires in front and mount the new ones in the rear-- even on front-wheel drive vehicles. It all has to do with traction and control. If the front breaks traction first, the reasoning is that your steering is in front and you might still get control back but if the rear breaks traction first (because of older tires) you may be just along for the ride, since there's no way to steer the rear wheels. RWD does give you at least some more control in the rear than FWD does.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see that 4 motion sprinters have not hit the market yet... to solve some of these problems. Course that would raise the price another 10K. Sprinter is a 500k+ rig. Transit and Fiat have yet to prove.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've driven both FWD and RWD vehicles over my 40+ years of driving (I'm 57 now), so I have some experience. FWD is WORSE in snow and ice. You might-- might-- have more initial traction, but once a FWD car goes into a skid you can't get control back until the car stops moving. I've proven it too often, and let me tell you that is one scary ride if there's any speed involved. Steering and braking have no or only marginal effect and everything is concentrated on the front wheels. On the other hand, RWD gave me much better control. Having the drive wheels in the rear helps in slippery conditions--- so much so that I have deliberately initiated a skid in a RWD to get around a corner in snowy weather. I had that much control that not only was initiating the skid safe, it was the right thing to do to get around the corner in snow. Back off of the power and the car stops skidding.

Consider this: At the tire place I do business with, if you buy only two new tires they will automatically place your older tires in front and mount the new ones in the rear-- even on front-wheel drive vehicles. It all has to do with traction and control. If the front breaks traction first, the reasoning is that your steering is in front and you might still get control back but if the rear breaks traction first (because of older tires) you may be just along for the ride, since there's no way to steer the rear wheels. RWD does give you at least some more control in the rear than FWD does.

Weird how different people seem to get different preferances from similar experience. I would take fwd drive in the winter long before rear wheel. I find fwd much more surefooted in most aspects of foul weather driving.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see that 4 motion sprinters have not hit the market yet... to solve some of these problems. Course that would raise the price another 10K. Sprinter is a 500k+ rig. Transit and Fiat have yet to prove.

What is 4 motion sprinters? I'm guessing you meant 50k?