FEDEX CC folks

jbrand

Active Expediter
Just doing my research about the fed and could use a little help.

I was inquiring about the TVAL and WG services with a recruiter. He sent me over some info, but it only really answered half of my questions. The info made it appear that they were of the same service. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Also I read that you can not have pets with you if you are preforming these services. If this is true does any one know why?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TVAL is short for temperature validated. It is part of the FDCC temp controlled services. All TVAL loads are White Glove. White Glove can be temp controlled or not temp controlled. White Glove often requires special handling of freight or other services. Pets are not a good idea with White Glove/temp control services. Many shippers don't allow them.

jbrand

Active Expediter
Do you know if other companies that provide these types of services don't allow pets also or is it just the Fed?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you know if other companies that provide these types of services don't allow pets also or is it just the Fed?

I know nothing of other carriers policies. They would have the same problems at the same shippers. Many nuke plants don't allow pets. Other types of shippers don't allow them either.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
The pets are often problems with the shippers and not carriers. Shippers give the sales guys special instructions on no pets.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It happens with non-White Glove and/or TVAL shipments, as well. I've had several loads in my Sprinter that wouldn't allow for pets.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There will also be places where a team member on the truck will not be allowed in. Pets have the potential to limit your work.

jbrand

Active Expediter
This bumbs me out. My wife and I were getting ready to come into some money and were going to buy a truck and dedicate to it, what ever it took, but our mutts are like our kids and being limited I think would/could hurt us. This site has been awesome and has provided a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for your replies

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This bumbs me out. My wife and I were getting ready to come into some money and were going to buy a truck and dedicate to it, what ever it took, but our mutts are like our kids and being limited I think would/could hurt us. This site has been awesome and has provided a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for your replys

There are plenty of expediters that have pets in the truck. You just need to be aware that it COULD cause a problem.

Also, IF you decide to come into expediting I would not suggest that you invest your money into a truck right out of the box. I would suggest that you run for an owner for a year or so to see if you even like it. THEN, if you don't like it, you will still have your money for another venture. IF you do like it you will still have it to invest in a truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This bumbs me out. My wife and I were getting ready to come into some money and were going to buy a truck and dedicate to it, what ever it took, but our mutts are like our kids and being limited I think would/could hurt us. This site has been awesome and has provided a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for your replies

FedEx Custom Critical allows dogs in its trucks but not in their White Glove trucks. Most other expedite carriers allow dogs in their trucks, and some of those serve the very same customers FedEx Custom Critical does.

Diane and I run with Landstar Express America and dogs are allowed in all trucks. When a customer prohibits dogs, the agents who dispatch our freight know it and make sure they put dog-free trucks on such loads. At Landstar, there is no such thing as a White Glove truck or team or service. But many of the very same customers call both carriers for trucks. Beyond the loss of certain freight opportunities because certain customers prohibit dogs, there is no bias or rule against dogs in trucks at Landstar.

Note that the FedEx dog rules are not cut and dry. It has happened many times that a non-White Glove (Surface Expedite) truck that has a dog in it gets dispatched on a White Glove load (a load that requires certain equipment or driver credentials). This happens when a customer has no anti-dog rules and a FedEx White Glove truck is not available. Ask the Caffee's about that. They ran a truck with a dog in it and forfeited their eligibility to be a White Glove truck and team because of it. Yet they have done White Glove loads because dispatch needed to cover them and the Caffee's had the needed training and equipment.

The story is the same with several other FedEx contractors we know. I mention the Caffee's because they are prominent on EO and have talked in the Open Forum about doing White Glove loads with a dog in their truck.

You are new to the industry so let me mention that "White Glove" is used in different ways by different carriers.

FedEx has a line of services that they brand "White Glove." They also designate drivers as White Glove qualified and trucks as White Glove equipped. Other carriers use the term differently. They may do the same kind of work for the very same customers at the very same pay (or maybe even better) but have no term for it at all. Another variant is Panther Elite (do I have that term right?). That's Panther's version of teams and trucks that have certain capabilities and equipment (HAZMAT trained, lift gate, etc.).

Changing the subject a bit, allow me to add that a big red flag went up for me when you said that you and your wife are getting ready to come into some money and plan to buy a truck.

My advice is DON'T! At least not yet. Get into a fleet owner's truck first and learn the business with it. More importantly, learn exactly what you want in a truck before buying one of your own. If you buy a truck first and then hit the road, it is virtually certain that you will wish you spec'ed something different. If you spend some time in a fleet owner's truck and talk to other expediters on the road about their trucks, you will have a much better idea of what you really want and the money you spend will be better spent.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We have had our pets with us the entire 10 years that we have been expediting (Fedex C.C. surface D unit) and we can still count on one hand the amount of loads we have lost due to having them with us.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Would also like to add that we have ran many white glove loads due to the training and clearances we have, just not the ones where pets are prohibited, which so far have been very few.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do you know what loads you have lost due to having a pet? Would they not be offered to you in the first place?

jbrand

Active Expediter
Wow ok I was starting to get the impression it was a total deal breaker with pets by the first replies. We did plan on putting our money in the bank and driving for a fleet owner to learn the ropes. We are not total nubes. I have been a dispatcher for a local DFW hot shot company for 10 years now. We always do hot shots out to MCI, ELP, ABQ, etc. on the weekends, but have always come straight back to DFW after dropping off. Our goal is to be able to do ALL loads DOD, Tval, WG liftgates and dry if we need.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
How do you know what loads you have lost due to having a pet? Would they not be offered to you in the first place?

You will not see the load. On a few occasions when we were a surface truck we were dispatched on one surface load that had a note saying no dogs allowed. We called and were taken off of the load.

Molly passed away in 2011 and as we had been on the White Glove list for many years we were put into White Glove. We made enough money as a surface truck to do what we wanted and it was not until Molly passed that we made the decision to make the jump to WG and not get another dog. Now that we have become involved in more truck related things it would be a hardship on a dog to try and keep up with us. When our lives slow down again we will get another dog ASAP as it is a very lonely truck without a pet.

Will you make the money a T-Val truck will make? No and if that is the money you require do not bring the dog in the truck with you and lease on to FXCC. They are very clear on this NO pets in WG

jbrand

Active Expediter
You will not see the load. On a few occasions when we were a surface truck we were dispatched on one surface load that had a note saying no dogs allowed. We called and were taken off of the load.

Molly passed away in 2011 and as we had been on the White Glove list for many years we were put into White Glove. We made enough money as a surface truck to do what we wanted and it was not until Molly passed that we made the decision to make the jump to WG and not get another dog. Now that we have become involved in more truck related things it would be a hardship on a dog to try and keep up with us. When our lives slow down again we will get another dog ASAP as it is a very lonely truck without a pet.

Will you make the money a T-Val truck will make? No and if that is the money you require do not bring the dog in the truck with you and lease on to FXCC. They are very clear on this NO pets in WG

I'm very sorry to hear about Molly. One of ours is 13 and is having less pep in her step the past year. We are dreading the day.

Are DOD job subject to this no pet policy also? or I guess a DOD job would be a WG right?

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
O.K., I concede that there may have been many more loads lost that we were not aware of, I was referring to the loads that were sent to us that dispatch didn't read the notes.

And yes DOD loads are WG and many of them have NO restrictions on pets, our dogs have been allowed at nearly all military bases in the country.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Also, if recruiting didn't make you aware of it, you will not be able to buy a truck and get into a WG slot immediately as there is a waiting list.

There are used trucks that sometimes are sold in the EO classifieds that come with a WG slot.