zoo York

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Not planning on shopping just wondering about the dock situation as I have a full 24 ft truck load

Deville

Not a Member
Not sure about the dock situation but being that it's a federal holiday the city will be less hectic than usual.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I figured with the holiday, that it would be a little quieter, I don't mind going into manhatten, in fact I do it a few times a month, never any issues, but I've heard dock horror stories about some of the major dept stores, so I was just doing a little homework, I'll give a report after I escape from zoo york!

tk

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well got in at 8.30 am had to wait for dock to open up ,backed in got unloaded as I was starting truck here comes little miss meter maid hands me a 115 dollar ticket for illegal unloading in a truck zone WTF tells me I can't block sidewalk told her unloading only it could be done handed it to me and walked off
DAmm dock is less than 10' inside the door 12 skids 1000 each no other way big FU to NYC!!! bImageUploadedByEO Forums1358784486.798401.jpg

Deville

Not a Member
Well got in at 8.30 am had to wait for dock to open up ,backed in got unloaded as I was starting truck here comes little miss meter maid hands me a 115 dollar ticket for illegal unloading in a truck zone WTF tells me I can't block sidewalk told her unloading only it could be done handed it to me and walked off
DAmm dock is less than 10' inside the door 12 skids 1000 each no other way big FU to NYC!!! bView attachment 6091

This is exactly why I will not take my truck into the city during regular business hours. If it can't fit on my van I ain't doing it.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
DAmm dock is less than 10' inside the door 12 skids 1000 each no other way big FU to NYC!!! bView attachment 6091

So, would it be safe to say that I was right?

FWIW, Deville is clearly the exception.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I unloaded near Rockefeller Center. They said I couldn't block the sidewalk, so I parked along the curb.
Customer sent 6 guys out to hustle freight into building.
Looks like this ticket should go to consignee, for lacking a proper dock.
I think a few months back we had a similar story.
Somebody out of NE stated he had an upcharge on NYC loads to cover parking tickets.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Truckers are nothing more than a cash cow for NYC. We have upped the rate for loads into or out of NYC. It is going to reach a point, and soon, where it is not longer worth the hassles, the risk of tickets and the tolls.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When you factor in tolls,tickets,and risk what you think is an absurdly high rate works out to be just about right.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny world we live in...one time there the COP no less, advised me to get on the sidewalk to unload 2 pallets of boxes to storefront on Hudson St.....because curb parking was illegal...even the UPS and Fedex guy were actually on the sidewalk....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you factor in tolls,tickets,and risk what you think is an absurdly high rate works out to be just about right.

yeah and if you get lucky and don't get grabbed, you could reimburse the customer some of his money....LOL

NO amount of money will I ever do NYC again....I'll leave that gravy to you other guys that need the exercise...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had my opportunity to contribute to Mr Bloomburgs fortune a couple years ago.
My batery run low from the liftgate was told you cant idle. I was on a slight grade, so I managed to roll to the side of the road and just entering a bus zone like the distance from the front bumber to the steer tire like less than a foot. I flagged down what I thought was a cop nope, it was a meter maid. Told him I needed a jump start He wrote me up 125 bucks. In fact I had somone standing next to me with jumper cables.

FYI theese morons have as much authority and responsability as a minimum wage mall cop but have full legal protection as a full fleged Police officer so dont do somthing stupid like lay your hands on them. Ask any real city cop, they cant stand them. You can try fighting it there should be an adress or phone number to dispute it. I tried it and had to pay it anyways, but it was worth the cost of a stamp.

Thats why I charge an additional fee for N.Y.C.

Bob Wolf

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well I'm going to dispute this with 23 8x10 color glossys with a circle and arrow on it and on the back a full description of the purported crime on their online kangaroo court, I did it for the last ticket, leaving my liftgate down in a commercial truck zone, for fear of some other truck parking too close to my back end so I couldn't continue loading, which is exactly what happened after I got cited and folded the gate away, except it was a car, and I couldn't find the owner for over an hour! My extra charge of 250.00 for nyc just increased to 500.00 extra, and if they pay it, fine, if not, they can walk their freight cross the damm gw!

tk
The online court did in fact reduce the liftgate ticket by 50% so we will see

Deville

Not a Member
The only reason Bloomberg hasn't banned all truck truck traffic over a certain size in all of Manhattan is because of the fine factor. This doesn't happen outside of Manhattan.

I prefer to do my runs into Manhattan between 8pm & 8am. Weekends i'll go in whenever. Last time I went into Manhattan for FEDX on a Saturday for an Air Expedite the Express supoervisor "forgot" yo pull the freight off the belt & it went on the regular truck & I wound up with a dry run.