Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Won't you be my neighbor?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

wilson_small.jpg

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I am one that knows most of my immediate neighbors. My grandparents bought this house brand new back in 1966. This is 1 of 4 houses in 4 different cities they owned, and the one they stayed in the least amount of time in their later years. I have 3 of their original neighbors still as my neighbors. These 3 neighbors, along with my grandparents, were/are great friends going on almost 5 decades now.

I am involved with those 3 original owners myself too. My next door neighbor is 84 years old. He is still active, reminds me of Robert DeNiro, and shares stories about stuff me and brothers did over 40 years ago. I started mowing his yard for him about 3 years ago, and off & on for a couple of years before that while his wife was ill with Cancer. (she has since passed on) He kept his own yard up til he was 81, but our summers have gotten worse and worse here these last 4-5 years and he can't handle the heat anymore.

Retired Lady across the street bought her house in 1963. (the 6 houses on my side were an addition to the neighborhood in 1966) I took care of her yard for a couple of years too, but have since found a guy to do it for her. (3 yards every weekend took too much time) She lives on a fixed income and I did her yard for Brownies and German Chocolate Cake at times. Only took money when she forced it on me. $20 here-$15 there.

And then the guy 3 houses down, Bruce. Been here since 1966 also. I talk with him every once in a while. He's retired too and travels a lot with his big MotorHome. He's involved in Chili Cook Off Competitions all the country, has won 1st place many times, so he's probably here 1/2 the year. Just as when my grandparents were away from this house for 6-7-8 months out of the year, we all watch his house as they did this house when no one was home.

We also have 2 other neighbors here on our block that's been here 15-20 years. We all talk and know each other too. It's the 2-3 immediate close by renters that know one really knows. I have tried to talk to the guy renting the house across from Bruce. Tried friendly conversations more than once, but the guy has got an arrogance attitude towards others. He still waves as he drives by, but becoming a "Friend" willl probably never happen. Bruce and him don't get along at all. Bruce tried to be a neighbor, and tried to talk to him about keeping the noise down after 9-10PM, but the guy wouldn't listen, or show respect, so the Cops have been called many times by Bruce. If the guy thinks we are all in Cahoots with the Cop Calling, then so what, we are a good group of neighbors and just want peace and quiet after 10PM, that's all. We don't care if there's always 4-5-6 cars out there, just don't be revving the engines, banging out dents, testing boom boxes, and crap like that at 11PM-12 Midnite.

The 3 ladies to my immediate west, 1 renter for years and years, and the "alternative lifestyle" couple homeowners who moved in about 5 years ago who stormed in here like they owned the place. Took me 2-3 years to get the couples 3 dogs to shut up. They were visited by the city at least 2 dozen times, and was in front of the Judge 3 times til they finally got the message. (look in the pictures I put up - their fence/backyard is 18 feet away from my front door which leads to my living room. They own 3 dogs that used to bark sun-up to sun-down, non-stop. How would like to listen to 3 untrained dogs barking non-stop, NOT EXAGERATING HERE!!!, allllllll daayyyyy looonggg!!!) Then the 1 lady who I used to get along with until she got the new dog. The neighborhood believes they are all in a relationship now and having a "Guy" first ask them to quiet their dogs down, then telling them that if they didn't quiet their dogs down that "He" would get the city involved, then "Him" finally doing it, is why there is sooooo much HATE coming from those 3 women.

So, even though we try to be a close knit community here within our block, some just don't "Get It". The ones here close by still live by the "old school" ways of watching your neighbors, it's the ones that are new who don't want to, or even try to, get involved with "Their" new neighbors. I always do my part in being a good neighbor, and only expect the same from others. Know what I mean.

Interesting article that popped up today on my homepage:

Neighbors hurt your home's value? - 1 - selling your home - MSN Money

Kinda relates to the reason why I don't want to see trucks parked in front yards a block over. And, the reason I don't have a problem contacting the city over an ordinance violation, period.

Last edited: