YRC Closes another Terminal

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
To “synchronize” its network and “optimize customer service.”

Ok...

YRC to Close Ohio Terminal

Updated: 11/19/2009 10:30:00 AM
http://ttnews.com/articles/basetempl...?storyid=23237

YRC Worldwide will close its terminal in Richfield, Ohio, and move operations to its other facilities in northeastern Ohio, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

In a letter to the Teamsters union, YRC said that the closure and moving of jobs “will be implemented on a single day,” the Beacon Journal said.

Citing company figures, the newspaper said that 207 works, including 96 drivers, will transfer to the terminal in Copley, Ohio. Copley will become the distribution center for northeast Ohio.
A spokeswoman said that YRC is making the move in order to “synchronize” its network and “optimize customer service.”
YRC is ranked No. 4 on the Transport Topics 100 listing of U.S. and Canadian for-hire carriers.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That appears to be a skeptical "ok". There could be a nugget of truth in that line of corporate speak. The merger of Yellow and Roadway created some duplication.

Speaking of near-dead and dead LTL carriers; who is in CF's old Richfield terminal?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Moot wrote:

That appears to be a skeptical "ok". There could be a nugget of truth in that line of corporate speak. The merger of Yellow and Roadway created some duplication.

Sure there "Could be", but...Yellow bought R-way in what 2003...the Teamsters screwed them around with contract issues until late 2007 or early 2008 to merge to the companies...they had the plans to get the employees down to around 30,000 from 50,000 then by consolidation of terminals and offices and buyouts and retirements...they did that for the last 2 yrs....then the freight business went to crap and they have been sheading jobs and closing more terminals... if this was a move to “synchronize” its network and “optimize customer service”, I'd have thought this would have happened alot soon then now.....i might be wrong, but with the finanical issues and the union give backs and the # of people being let go in the last yr...i am thinkin this is just another "nail in the coffin...." But then again, its just my opinion, and we all know what those are like.....

guido4475

Not a Member
There is a huge Roadway terminal in Copely, Ohio, so that may explain things a little..As far as the old CF terminal in Richfield,it was still empty the last time I went by.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

Speaking of near-dead and dead LTL carriers; who is in CF's old Richfield terminal?

vagrants...

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Talked to a Laid Off YRC Driver Yesterday who told me that when YRC Bought out Roadway they Had all of the Dock workers get their CDLs and Put them to work Driving, Which Included The Higher Ups in Seniority and Bumped Some of the Regular Drivers Out of a Job!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Talked to a Laid Off YRC Driver Yesterday who told me that when YRC Bought out Roadway they Had all of the Dock workers get their CDLs and Put them to work Driving, Which Included The Higher Ups in Seniority and Bumped Some of the Regular Drivers Out of a Job!

I find that hard to believe. Do you know how hard it has pretty much always been to get on with a ltl carrier when you have OTR experience? I doubt their just gonna send dock workers and papers pushers out on the road.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I find that hard to believe. Do you know how hard it has pretty much always been to get on with a ltl carrier when you have OTR experience? I doubt their just gonna send dock workers and papers pushers out on the road.

Well, Believe it or Not, That's what I was Told! Whether or Not it's True or Not I Don't Know! I was Just Repeating What this Laid Off Driver Told Me.... I Found it Hard to Believe Too But I Didn't Know or Ask what Kind of Experience these Dock Workers had If Any! Next time I Run Across Him I'll Ask Him a Whole Lot of Questions and That will Be One of them!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had all of the Dock workers get their CDLs and Put them to work Driving, Which Included The Higher Ups in Seniority and Bumped Some of the Regular Drivers Out of a Job!

That's how seniority works. Senior dock workers were most likely given the option to obtain a CDL or get laid off.