Your First Experiences

Ashebrook

Active Expediter
Hello there :)

I would love to hear about your first experiences in a cargo/sprinter van - both good and bad. I'm looking to get into the biz and seeing the ups and downs in the industry would help me get a good perspective on things.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your stories!

~Wil~

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I've run both regular vans (GM) and Sprinters. The regular van of course meant bending over for working on strapping and such and moving the freight. The Sprinter posed some new problems of which one was the cold weather and being able to heat the sleeping area. I knew I didn't have loads of insulation and really the only time it was a big problem was the run to Thunder Bay when it was -60. Engine had to run near 2000rpm to produce heat and heat dissipated fast.

Loved the standing room, loved the fuel economy, handling was good and seats were quite comfortable in the SPrinter. I had few breakdowns or problems so cost of operating was not too bad although my last GM van was the same. Cargo capacity weight wise was similar between both vans so made no difference on my loads but the extra height in the Sprinter was a bonus as I scored several runs of skids too high for the GM/Ford vans.

Running a van meant getting as many loads as possible. It was a challenge especially with different companies but I did manage to make money. I did put in a lot of time every month and made sure dispatch knew I was out there and spent a lot of time waiting for loads. I did run a lot of crap runs but from my perspective I was moving and bringing in something.

There are times I got some fun loads and ones that I should never have had but customers are not always honest in their specs when they order a van. I had one load just over 5000lbs the customer stated 3000lbs max and the shipper refused to unload once it was in the van so I basically had to run it. Dispatch did surcharge for the overweight but still the van took a beating. Other loads like different heights/weights etc were sometimes a challenge in how to secure them and such were always fun and at times frustrating. Some loads you can't strap properly as they will be damaged as not packaged properly.

Whatever you do always secure your load no matter what. I didn't one time as the load was going all of 6 miles and I had to slam on the brakes hard to avoid a red light runner and the load slid up and crushed my bed from 72" to all of 18".

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had one load just over 5000lbs the customer stated 3000lbs max and the shipper refused to unload once it was in the van so I basically had to run it.
No you didn't have to run it!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That much weight can do serious damage to a sprinter it would have come off my truck one way or another. Tow straps and light posts work wonders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
That much weight can do serious damage to a sprinter it would have come off my truck one way or another. Tow straps and light posts work wonders.

Hijackn.....

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of course it's relevant! The OP is a newb looking for good info, and if this newb were to come away from this thread thinking they'd have to take a load that much over would mean that the competent pros here didn't do their jobs. The fact is that no one has to take a load under those circumstances. If a driver allows himself to be intimidated into doing something stupid, then it's on him to accept the responsibility if he can't stop properly and causes an accident. That load didn't have to be hauled. Period.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
My first experiences have been up and down. Ive traveled the all over US the past four months, ive managed to get conned out of about 1000 dollars by LRT. Ive managed to lose 900 dollars getting altenator repaired,but I do k.ow how to put an altenator in now(remove air filter, remove bolts, remove belt, take old one output new one in) but over all, if you like getting paid to camp out, and can be away from home for extended periods, and can keep money saved for repairs, and or sign with a Carrier that will front you the money to get repairs(panther does) this is a fun job..just find a hobby...I like to go the local parks and museums, and like going to the gym Anytime Fitness is a good investment.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe if this thread was about "dangers of taking loads 2000 lbs above your payload"

Now that's funny after your prior post.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Of course it's relevant! The OP is a newb looking for good info, and if this newb were to come away from this thread thinking they'd have to take a load that much over would mean that the competent pros here didn't do their jobs. The fact is that no one has to take a load under those circumstances. If a driver allows himself to be intimidated into doing something stupid, then it's on him to accept the responsibility if he can't stop properly and causes an accident. That load didn't have to be hauled. Period.

good point

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
If I had a scale ticket that said I was over gross I would get the carrier involved. I would just let everyone know that I would not be delivering that load. I took a load back 3 times to be reworked. Ended up dropping the trailer there.