Your Dream Truck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is quite natural and quite common for people who first learn about expediting to immediatly start thinking of the kind of truck they want to drive; both for when they first start out and for later when they are in a position to spec the truck of their dreams.

In the latest edition of Expedite NOW (Volume 3, Issue 6), Jeff Jensen wrote about Morgan and Tina Morris in a piece entitled "Expedite Trucking With Style!"

And how! The Morris truck is spectacular. There are those in the Open Forum who would say the truck is over the top. I would suggest that it all boils down to personal preference and the dreams you have. While dreams vary from person to person, one person's dreams are no better or no worse than another's.

Of course, to turn your dreams into reality, you must be willing to do what it takes to make them so. In the case of a truck, if you have a dream truck in mind, you must be willing to do the work, produce the income, and manage your money to bring your dream truck into the affordable realm. Buying such a truck without first establishing the requisite financial footing will quickly turn the dream into a nightmare.

Morgan Morris is a role model in that regard. He seems to have done it right. His straight truck spec preferences include a Kenworth W900L, a 530-horse engine, an 18-speed autoshift transmission, lots of chrome, and over 300 LED lights. That's a lot of everything by any standard.

The dream-truck role model part comes not from the truck he spec'ed. It comes from the way he got into the truck in the first place. In the article, Morris says, "I recommend that new people buy a used truck to get to know what they're getting into and to find out if they like expedite. It also gives them a chance to find out what they would want in a new truck."

I would add that newbies can accomplish the same thing by driving fleet-owner trucks. You get to find out if you like expediting and you get the time and experience to figure out what you want in your own truck. Driving fleet owner trucks provides the additional advantage of getting into expediting without committing money to a truck purchase.

Morris has many years of trucking experience under his belt before he got into expediting. He practiced what he preaches when it comes to building a truck of your own. He drove a used truck first.

Newbies who don't have trucking experience can benefit from a fleet owner's coaching when they first start out. After a few months to a year on the road, newbies will know if expediting is for them, and they will have a pretty good idea of the kind of truck they want and how much truck they can afford.

Of course, and this is an important point, there is no need to have a dream truck at all. Many expediters don't have dream trucks. They prefer to have dream bank accounts. Or, they prefer to take life easy and not work all that hard. For them, free time off is more important than either a dream truck or a dream bank account. It's all good.

My main point for newbies is that if you find yourself dreaming about a spectacular truck of your own, it is indeed possible to have one. However, to keep your dream from turning into a nightmare, it is best to drive other trucks first and keep your dreams within your financial means.

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
ATeam, Phil

You got that right, many times we forgo our dreams because someone else does not think that we can make a go of it.

Wife and I did that and started in a FL 70, and within 18 months I upgraded to the first 'Super Straight Truck' that Freightliner built, although small by today's standards, the truck served me and others well for 10 years.

So good post

2millionplus
Independant Recruiter
30 Years 'On-The-Road'

Busy B's Driver Placement and Recruiting - Owner

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
I have never driven a truck for a fleet owner but I wore out about 8 trucks before I speced out a new one.all that is necessary is to drive a good number of different trucks.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It is deffinatly personal prefrence. Whats the difference between a new $135,000 and a very good used $28,000 plus a new $6,000 APU installed? About $100,000.

If thats what you want and your confident you can afford a new truck than go for it. If what you want is profits and a nice $35,000 truck will do and you can afford to hold back profits for a few repairs and sprucing up well go for that.

I choose new but in between those #s, if I knew than what I know now, I would have speced a nice two year old class 8 and made it into an Expediting friendly Truck. Now I know, with what I am very satisfied wished I would have saved myself 40K? I cannot give myself an answer, other than if I were to do it over again like I posted a good used class 8.

Its an individual choice just make sure you remain profitable or you will hate your decision and the rope around your neck.

The best truck in all honesty, is a paid for one. Thats my opinion others may not agree even though the numbers and being Slave to the lender are in favor of a paid for truck. Paying a bank a dollar to save .25 cents off your taxes makes no economic sense no matter what others tell you its just plain poor business to buy anything with the thought of at least theres a tax deduction.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Just don't understand why someone would want to put $135,000 out for a dream truck when a good used truck is just as profitable. I came into this business to make money but to also have a life away fom expediting.What about all of the other pleasures of life . All that I can say is , my good used truck is paid for so profits are up. So I smile alot. Need I say more.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well someone has to buy the new trucks otherwise you wouldn't have the nice $40,000 truck to buy. Personally I could see spending 200k+ on a truck. I like big and shinny things. At that price range your talking a fully loaded class 8 w/ duals, lift gate, refer, generator, etc. And with that you can take any load out there that will fit. But back to reality, what I would like is one of those nice 5th wheel camper trucks with the 144" sleepers and a 5th wheel on back. Hook up a 28' pup trailer w/ refer , duals and lift gate and you are set. Problem with that is I haven't found a company that would sign me on with that.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would like to have the big truck with the big, big sleeper. I would not want the payments thou. If I sold everthing at home and stayed out as much as the A Team, I would consider the giant sleeper.

The big sleeper is kinda like buying more house than you need. Yeah the house will go up in value most of the time, but the truck will make you money most of the time.

The team that will stay in service twenty percent more of the time will make that much more money, and help offset the larger payment.

Lets face it, if it is one hundred percent all about the money, than anything over a thirtysix inch sleeper is not needed. Most of us that have been at this will say that this is a lifestyle not just a job.

Super trucks are not the wisest use of money, nor is cable tv, HD tv's, camera's, internet, spare bedrooms, dogs, cats ( I hate cats ) DVD's, XM radio's, Crome, extra lights, etc....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the interests of full disclosure about our in-service and acceptance numbers, which I have sometimes shared in the Open Forum, our 2006 numbers are down from previously higher levels. That is due mostly to time out of service related to building and buying and building some more the new truck we purchased in 2006. With most of that work behind us, we hope to achieve 90% in service and 80% acceptance in 2007. 2006 numbers were in the low 70s percent range.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don’t mean to be an a** about things but lets really not hear about these trucks that are expensive builds that don’t do anything but feed egos.

I am not picking on any one person but to spend $150k to $whatever for most of us is not and never will be a doable task. I fully understand the person who buys a truck with an apartment attached for the family to come along or be a team IF they have no other home, two people come to mind but outside of that, what can there be a reason.

We keep hearing about how it is a good idea to buy used, to start out small, well I would rather see true to life profiles on people (plural) who have made decisions about buying USED trucks to show all concerned how they found the truck, how they made the decision to purchase that truck and what repairs that have been needed to get it on the road.

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Gregg, you are right on the money. We drove a Pete379 with a 132" sleeper for 7 years leased with Fedex CC. Never posted the specifications or pictures of it, nor did we feel the need to enter it in truck shows. Not in this for the attention or the professional tourist route.
Phil, I'd be interested to know why you think others are interested in your service numbers? I just don't get it. My advice to others, set your own course and do what's best for you and your family because in a blink of an eye this industry changes and sometimes not in a positive way. And remember, all posts here are opinions from owners and drivers, including this one so look to as many different sources for the information you need. Best wishes to everyone for 2007.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Phil, I'd be interested to know why you think others are
>interested in your service numbers? I just don't get it.

I'm not alone in sharing our in-service and availability numbers. The topic has come up in the Open Forum before and several drivers have posted theirs. When I updated ours for 2006, I did so because numbers I posted before were higher than that. I did not want to leave new people reading old posts with the impression that our numbers are higher in 2006 than they actually are.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I don’t mean to be an a** about things but lets really not
>hear about these trucks that are expensive builds that
>don’t do anything but feed egos.

If you only need a two-bedroom house but buy a four-bedroom, is it about ego?

If you can park your cars outside and keep your stuff in a shed but build an attached three-car, heated garage instead, is it about ego?

If you only need a used car to get around but buy a new SUV instead, is it about ego?

If a Ford FL-150 pickup truck will do but you buy an FL-350 instead, is it about ego?

If your kids can get by with a community college two-year degree but you send them to a private four-year college instead, is it about ego?

If you can make a living in a B-unit but choose D-unit instead, is it about ego?

If you can get buy in a 72" sleeper in a used truck but prefer the reliability of a new truck and the comforts of a larger sleeper instead, is it about ego?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

I didn't say 'you', did I?

I have seen your truck and think it is really nice but not worth it - personal opinion and not something against you. But I have also seen a few others that make your look like a shabby shack on wheels - again nothing towards you.

I find spending a s*it load of money on something that is just a tool is fulfilling one's ego and possibly trying to make up for other short comings.

I said that I can see buying and using a truck with a large sleeper justified IF you don't own a home and/or bring your family along -Key words here are Justified and no home! But I met someone who has a rather large sleeper with a rather small box who is a single driver and spent a lot more money on his truck than you did on yours. The thing is that he hauls the same freight as you and I and he has the same oppertonuities as you or I, so what else can it be?

As for the 4 bedroom house opposed to a 2 bedroom, what do you call it than?

Here is something interesting, see attached picture.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>As for the 4 bedroom house opposed to a 2 bedroom, what do
>you call it than?

I would say it is probably not built in service to someone's ego or to impress others. It is most likely built out of a desire to have something nice for one's self. It would be stupid to spend money on a material good or goods to bolster one's ego. That is a fruitless endeavor because no matter what you buy, in a very short time someone else with bigger or more material goods will come into view.

For example, Morgan Morris has a bigger sleeper than me. He has more running lights (over 300 to my mere 94). He has more horsepower. And he runs a "real trucker's" conventional-nose truck compared to my aerodynamic hood. That makes me feel sooooooo inferior...NOT!

Ego strength based on material goods is not ego strength at all. If you have to buy a non-essential material good to feel better, the fulfillment you seek is a lot further away than your next purchase.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
I think we sort of agree, but I wonder why you seem to take issue with my comments when they have nothing to do with you.

To put another spin on what I am saying is success is not the biggest, flashiest truck but a truck that someone can find, afford and use to make money with. For some reason many people think they have to buy new to be succesful.

The profiles I find in EO's magazine and others magazines focus on people who for a lack of a better word made it to the point to have the biggest and flashiest truck, something many of us can't or won't do. I have read very few articles about how to show people what to do to apply the advice many give out so freely. One such article was last years trucker of the year and his ideas of no idling for cost savings.

What seems to bother me the most is talking about lights, HP or a convential dinosaur does not illistrate to me and others who need ideas what things does someone have to do with what we are really out here to do; MAKE MONEY.

Like I said, an article profiling people who have bought used, went through the selection process and have repaired the trucks makes more sense to help than one about the biggest, flashiest truck on the road.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The best truck in all honesty, is a paid for one.......
>

I couldn't agree more!
============================================
I'll third that.

As Dave Ramsey would say, "Cash is King"

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Well all.I really love my larger than life sleeper also.Mine has,internet connection,a tv,fridge,micro wave,shower,toilet,hot and cold running water,oh yes,the most important part,maid service,and I named my big sleeper, Super 8 motel.I spend less than $600 a month for this service,that 132" sleeper costs more than that,and the best part,I can still back into those really tite places,such as the caves in kansas city

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I am not knocking you A-Team, but have been reading your writings for a few years now and the advice you are giving to others to drive other trucks before buying, basically the advice that people at EO gave you in your beginning, looks to go against the things you preached when you started out yourself here and at other trucking forums on the internet back when you had the know it all previous business owner approach from your other ventures. It just looks to me that you are now giving the same advice to newcomers that other owners gave to you when you were starting out. Isn't that a little ironic sir? Mudflap