Your average load

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
I know that most loads are anything but average, but just for the sake of curiosity...

This is aimed mostly at straight truck drivers. Do you find that most loads don't even come close to filling the truck, or do you find that you're missing out on loads because you went with too small of a truck?

tnt1271

Seasoned Expediter
We have been driving for over a year now and i would say for us about 95% of the time it doesn't come close to filling our truck up. And as for losing out on loads well I only knew of a couple of loads that I got there and they wouldnt fit. There have only been a few instances where I took a smaller load at a reduced rate so most of the time the pay is the same. Besides the less it weighs the less fuel you will use.

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
To switch gears a little bit, if you drive a t/t, does your average load fill you up? Or would it fit in your average large (26') straight truck?

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
Another question: Is investing in a reefer unit worth the money, or are those loads few and far between?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Depends on what company you go with and also what division you are in within the company. Very seldom in any size truck do you get a full load, not the nature of the business. The weight and dimensions are what determines the size truck that the customer will get.
We feel as if we have the perfect size truck for the job that we want to do.

Last edited:

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
Likely I'll be going with Fedex CC if anything just due to the fact that all my current experience is with FedEx. As soon as I'm allowed, my plans are to move up to white glove.

To that end, I'm thinking a Class 8 D with 22' reefer box and pusher axle might be my best bet, likely just sticking with the stock sleeper just for savings.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Before I bought a reefer I would check with recruiting and see what a realistic time frame you would have before you could get into White Glove. If you have to stay in Express very long your reefer would probably not be used often enough to pay for itself.

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
I can promise you that I won't be buying anything until I talk to somebody there and get the whole scoop.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important item with W/Glove is that usually will only put on teams. I havn't seen where you indicated if you plan to run team or solo.

upnygimp

Seasoned Expediter
Well, for lack of knowing anyone that wants to live in a truck, and being nervous about just hiring someone off the street on, I was planning on most likely going solo.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
haven't been driving long but 600-10k# has been my experience and most about 3K. had one load that coverred the floor but weighed 6k#. had another that was 10K but was 5 skids down the center of the floor.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We know of a few White Glove units that are solo trucks. They usually stay in a certain area that has a percentage of freight and are very careful about the loads they accept. Again a good thing to discuss with a recruiter and take into consideration the area you live in and would like to stay running in.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
In 2 1/2 yrs.........running both as a solo and a team.......
Had a truck with 22' box and one with 24' box...............only ran one load full from top to bottom, front to back. And only a very few @10,000 lbs. Probably averaged about 2000 to 4000 lbs. per load
Heaviest was 10,000, lightest was 6 lbs. Never had a load that 'wouldn't fit'......

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
fdcc wants E units to be abe to haul 44000 lbs,my average load is under 20000 lbs.and maybe I say maybe 1/2 of trailer.its expedite not truck load,Freight needs to be there,rest of load will get there later.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Driving solo 22’ dry box my average load is less than 2,000 lbs utilizing less than 40% of box. Heaviest load 10,000 lbs while the lightest was a manila envelope less than a pound which occupied the passenger seat with seatbelt attached.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Those with smaller trucks/vans never get the call for a load they can't carry, so most would never know what the potential for larger capacity runs might be out there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have been running for almost 3 years, most of it White Glove. Our loads have varied in weight from an 11 ounces to 16,000lbs. 85% of our loads are between 400-6000lbs. We are a reefer truck. So far it has paid for itself, we shall see over the long term. A liftgate is almost a must if you are fit enough to handle freight. That will pay for itself right away.
Layoutshooter