Your APU

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I need some info.

For those who have an APU, I am would like to know what kind you have and how much it cost.

If you don't want to post the cost, please PM me.

Thanks

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In alphabetical order, Proheat approx $7600, Rigmaster approx $7800 and Willis approx $10,000

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Leo, can one really justify the difference in costs of the Willis?

My first Pro Heat had many, many way to many repairs. My second None. So why spend an extra 2,600? For what heat, cool, and electricity?

Not trying to open a bad can of debate, but thats a lot of cash in the difference.

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Hi Broom,
Had to come to the defense of the Willis. We also have one and are very pleased with the unit. Yes it does cost more but lets compare apples to apples here.
3 cylinder engine compared to 2 cylinder units.

SUPER QUITE.. We've moved away from some units because they were so noisy. Alliance comes to mind.

Has the best cooling capacity of any unit out there 33,000 BTU. easily keeps the top bunk cool.

No box or additional unit that has to be installed under the bunk. Freeing up space for additional stuff.

It's an impressive unit, we're happy.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Willis also includes an air system that monitors air pressure and pumps it back up so you never are low on air. In the event of an air problem it could let you get into a shop rather than being stuck at the side of the road with a broken air system. It also does a better job of heating and cooling because it runs both dashboard and sleeper a/c and heat systems. Additionally, when you only need moderate heating or battery charging it can run at low rpm on about half the fuel usage of standard APU operation. It's a lot of money but it has features and advantages over other units. The only drawback is a small dealer network.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK, this is all good but let's help me out here;

I would like to know not how much they retail for (thanks Leo for that info it helped for something else) but how much they actually cost you to get the unit on your truck. Of course what kind it is that you own.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's what each cost me in total ready to drive down the road on day 1. Not sure if I understand what you are looking for if that isn't it.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo, Thanks I got simular prices from the dealers and that is why I said what ever I said.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Here is my opinion for what it is worth. The Onan or the Power Tech have done the best for us, but those two ran a roof a/c unit. Rigmaster was second for cost verses performance. It has 6000 watts off the generator and is 20,000 btu on AC. The proheat we have cools at I believe 13,000 btu and only has 4,000 watts of power.
I like the Willis concept but their repair/dealer network appears very small. All the savings go out the window if you are running all over to find service or wait.
Downside of the rigmaster is that it isn't a self priming unit. An improvement that rigmaster could make. Hint, hint.
Also, don't forget the $300 rebate if a member of OOIDA on the rigmaster.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can the Willis system plug into shore power and still run the air? Does not appear to but I can't tell just reading the page. Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't believe it can. That is an area they need to work on. The other is being able to leave the air or heat running when you are out of the truck without having to leave a key in the ignition. If/when they get those two things solved and multiply their service network times itself they will have a major winner.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
>>Downside of the rigmaster is that it isn't a self priming
>unit. An improvement that rigmaster could make. Hint, hint.
>Also, don't forget the $300 rebate if a member of OOIDA on
>the rigmaster.
Davekc
>owner
>22 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

To remedy the self priming on mine I took a inline fuel pump from Advance auto supply and installed. Ground to frame, jumpered from glow plug to hot side of the pump...so far no problem. But seek pro help I,m just shadetree.

Edit: Think it cost $46.00

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not a bad idea. I had never thought of that. I may have to try that on one. Any specific inline pump? Or will any do?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
Naw its just a standard 12volt system inline gas pump. They had 2 I did get the costly one looked better built. Only been useing it for 2 mos but hasnt failed yet. Whats nice when I hit the on switch give it bout 10 15 seconds and its primed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds great. Do you have the electronic auto-start? Wasn't sure if that would have any effect on it.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
Nope mine is older unit round 2000....Rigmaster did offer me 2k if I would trade for a new 1. I dont think the auto start would effect it but please get a second opnion.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok.......thanks for the great tip. I will call Espar and see what they think.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have one that seems to lose it for no apparent reason every couple of months. Other than that, it must be primed in the process of changing the fuel filter.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Time Out

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem a couple of years ago with a Rigmaster. I replaced the factory "squeeze type" fuel hose clamps with a better clamp and didn't have that problem anymore. Also noticed that the fuel line seemed to loose its flexibility pretty quick and was flairing out at the hose clamps. Must have been sucking air in by the clamps causing it to loose prime. It worked for me anyway.