You May Want To Avoid This Shop

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Sylvester Tire, Goodyear dealer in Avon, OH right off I-90 at the 151 exit. Morons!!

One of my drives had picked up a nail and went flat over the weekend.
At Sylvester's I told the write up guy to have the tech be careful as I didn't want my DuraBrite wheel nicked or scratched. Sez he, "I'm glad you told me, we take extra care with DuraBrites!".

Looking at the wheel after they got the tire back on the truck, I found half a dozen marks where the guy had gouged the rim with the tire iron and a couple of scratches where the tire iron had gotten away from him.

Calling the write up guy over and pointing out the damage, he barks at the tech, who sez, "Well, I can't get a tire on or off the wheel without using tire irons.".

The write up guy calls the owner. Owner, Dave Sylvester, looks at the damage and sez, "This type of damage only happens from rubbing on a curb, it's nothing our guy did."!?! I said, "You can't be serious!", he sez, "Of course I'm serious, you drivers always find something wrong on your truck and try to blame it on our guys!"

Realizing that the situation would only get Stoopider from that point, I had them open the door so I could make my getaway!

I'm guessing they don't have a problem with repeat customers. Morons!

Rex

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
You should of asked for their Insurance companys number and told them you wanted to turned in a claim. Then if they refused you could have called the police to make a report and they would have give you the number.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
What if in the future you took time dated digital photos of the rims before and after once you are in the bay. You could have the service writter present. Afterwards there is no question about who damaged the rim(s).

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
But why is it like this everywhere you go? Who do you trust anymore? A breakdown while on the road is a nightmare. Very seldom do you get charged an amount that you feel isn't inflated. It is never something simple. It is always a costly item. UGGGH!!!

taternuts

Seasoned Expediter
As a heavy truck mechanic it is very very very very difficult to normally get a tire on with out a scratch, however, I do try to make people happy if they come in with some super polished rims...

On Alumnium rims, on most circumstances, you can take the tire off from either side of the rim... Normally, Durabrites and every other alcoa rim are polished on one side... innner or outers...

So, since most scratches are unavoidable, I will normally take the tire off, and re-install, from the unpolished, or unviewable side of the rim...

This is a bit harder, but the results are better...

Also, If the technician uses a tool called the golden tool, this will more then likely leave little to no scratches behind...

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Taternuts is correct on removing the tire from the non-polished or durabrite side of the rim. Plus a carpet or pad on the floor helps so much to protect the other side while on the floor. I'm amazed at how many tire shops have neighther! I will provide them with a mover's pad if need be, they just have to use it.

It is impossible to remove tires of this size without some minimal scraching but thats the key. Keep it minimal and on the side you don't see.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
As a former mechanic who also did tires, the best solution I had was to wrap the tools in a shop rag, lay a clean mud flap on the floor, and use utmost care. I know how hard it is to keep wheels looking good, and those who care enough to work that hard need special attentoin.