You know what would be cool

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I'm surprised I haven't seen one. That's one of those awnings that they mount on rvs put on a straight truck. Think about it. You could roll it out break out the lawn chairs drink some fruit punch and wait on a load. Maybe even break out one of those lil grills and cook a couple of burgers or a steak and just pretend you are on the beach.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe Alumibunk is doing this. I don't see much room for the awnings in truck stops, not can I imagine to many stores and their parking lots being thrilled over this situation. Now if you are the type to park in RV lots this would really be great and if you are pre assigned it would even be better.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Ark,

Believe it or not, It has been done!!!

I saw 2 Panther Vans at the "J" in Knoxville last summer, backed up about 15' apart, with a tarp between them with a center pole for tent height. Lounge chairs, steaks on the grill, TV, and Tunes. What was in them BIG glasses, I don't know, but it looked like Life was good for them!

Danny

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
After all this time, i'm still wondering WHAT, is so magic about staying at a truck stop.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing magic about free parking, toilets and showers. Give it a try.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Flyin' J's.........Good enough for RVer's......Good enough for me!!

(unless I can find a quite Walmart or Cracker Barrel)

Wake me up fo Breakfest,
Danny

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
There ya go Pack. That's a start of a list.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What is so inviting is being with real truckers so you too can feel like a real trucker.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Actually No Greg, I like parking with the RVer's at the "J" so I can feel like a Tourist. (Paid that is)
Also sometimes they feel sorry me and invite us over to eat with them. HEY it's a FREE meal, no money from my pocket just adds to the bottom line!

It's a Jungle out there!!

Danny

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would not an RV awning on the side of a straight truck put the truck over the legal width limit? Even if it did not, we would not put one on. We have been to too many pickups where the approaches were so narrow that we had to pull in our mirrors to make it in.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
There are some states that require RV haulers to get oversize permits when delivering RV's with awnings . But once put in private use no permit is required . Correction on that Colorado requires oversize permits on all 102" RV's with awnings .

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I would say just get an EZ-UP or what ever they are called and just hang under there. I have seen some van people camp out before with some mini chairs and stuff. I would love to find the guy with the BBQ and such. I would pitch in for steaks if that was the case...

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I have been thinking of adding a canopy to the Pass side of my sprinter for a while now. That way when I bring out my camping chairs and my grill I will have some shade at the truck stop while watching a game. Think of it like tailgating but without the beer.:+

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I always thought having a slide out in the sleeper would be cool. Of course, you could only use it at RV parks, or in that last parking space.. LOL. I've seen race haulers with them.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
What is the inside like if it's not pushed out? I mean I know there is less room then, but does it cramp things up real bad?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ark,
Basically it just looks like a tight sleeper... then when you slide it out, you just get more room to move around inside. The one's I've seen had like a recliner loveseat on a slideout, and then a nice size TV on the other wall. It backed you up enough that you could kick up your feet and relax, and the other half could still walk in front of you and block the picture :)

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

[font size="1"]Have a Sprinter van? Check out the forums at [A href="http://www.mysprintervan.com"]MySprinterVan.com[/A]

OTR? Check out [A href="http://www.truckme.com"]Truckme.com [/A]

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

[/font]

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Having a slide-out on a truck sounds nice... however, I'd hate to be in it when it's slid out and a tired driver decides to zip in to sleep beside you... think of the damage that could occur to both trucks and people in both trucks. That's why you haven't seen them already. You would have to re-think your choice of parking spots to be on the safe side... or risk looking like a parking lot hog by taking up to spots.

Regarding the awning... with careful planning, mounting it on the roof would work on rigs. There's many kinds of models, some awnings aren't even 8 (eight) inches wide/high.... so if you have a QC, satalite dome, and/or rooftop AC on the roof, it'll probably sit lower than that.

Slide-outs on trucks sound good, but I'd rather have a generator than a slide-out... when I'm tired I like to just go in back and not have to worry about space limits. A slide-out works for RV's better because they generally have the space and time to work with. Trucks do not always have that option. That's why many private busses still don't have slide-outs in them - when they do they're generally not crew busses, they usually star coaches or VIP coaches... that pay the money for the privilage.

Often they'll put a sofa or dinette set into a slide-out room to allow for more lounge space inside.