You are kidding me, aren’t you?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was reading about the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund and got to ask, are they joking?

They have gone in front of congress (actually U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation) to ask to look into the NFL’s retirement plan and compensation package for players who are injured.

I am by no means a football fan, but I know that the ‘sport’ is not a true sport anymore and for what people perceive as a need to build a stadium to house a very profitable and greedy business with equally greedy players, it seems we have blurred the line between fantasy and reality over the game of millionaires.

I don’t dare think that people who are making millions would quietly put money into a program to help their brethren without asking the public and the congress to help – that is too much to ask from them.

Sorry football guys/gals, when you talk about the waste in congress, we have a lot more important things to have discussed in front of congress other than occupational hazards that are tolerated with millionaires who play a game. I mean as cruel as some will take this, I think Congress needs to investigate the abuse of the federal court system on shoving pensions onto the tax payers backs while executives cash in on millions – for example Kmart.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I believe if they are injured playing pro football which is there job at the time they should be entitled to social security if they can't move into another field of work. I don't think there should be a seperate fund set aside for the middle class to fund so they can continue to live their lavish lifestyles. My football coach in high school played 2 years at St.Louis in the 80s and when he was injuried he used his degree to become a teacher and a coach. To me the problem starts when these player sit in a public university,which is tax payer supported, and get a full scholarship only to play sports and party and not get an education. They have their eyes on the millions and don't worry about getting a degree where they could earn a regular living wage. Beacause like i said they are focused on the millions. Then football doesn't work out and they have wasted all that money with nothing to show for it.