yep we need more pipelines!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pipelines are vastly more efficient, not to mention more environmentally friendly, than trucking or training crude and refined petroleum over long distances. The tree huggers crapping their pants in North Dakota are apparently fine with millions of tons of air pollution from trains and trucks to haul the crude.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
bfed51e83ff9e2c8f4a9233016ddcced.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Moot and fastman_1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pipelines are vastly more efficient, not to mention more environmentally friendly, than trucking or training crude and refined petroleum over long distances. The tree huggers crapping their pants in North Dakota are apparently fine with millions of tons of air pollution from trains and trucks to haul the crude.
Thats not what I meant....in the future pipelines will be even less needed....as solar, wind, and battery power advance and fossil fuels are considered dirty, ...Pipelines serve pretty much 1 purpose...profit for drillers to get to market....when demand drops, pipelines become obsolete....Like the Alaskian pipeline unless they start drilling will become dormant

Prudhoe Bay, which has been drilled for decades, the oil companies say the end is in sight. John Felmy, chief economist for the American Petroleum Institute, says that now those companies believe the most profitable resources to tap will be the easy-to-reach oil in places they're not yet allowed to drill: parts of the National Petroleum Reserve, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and the Chukchi and Beaufort seas just offshore of the North Slope. ANWR alone holds 10 billion barrels of untapped oil, Felmy says, but drilling there is a huge environmental issue, and so far the U.S. government has not let oil companies in.

While the companies lobby, the amount of oil moving through the pipeline continues to dwindle. Flows peaked at 2.1 million barrels per day 24 years ago. By last year they dropped to about 579,000 barrels per day. That decline is creating a very expensive engineering problem, says the pipeline's operator, Alyeska Pipeline Services—a company owned by the North Slope's major oil industry players including BP, ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, and Koch Industries.

To put the problem simply: The lower the average flow of oil through the pipeline, the harder it is to keep that oil moving. As the flows of oil in the line drop, the velocity of the oil flow decreases, too, increasing the time it takes for the oil to reach Valdez. The longer the oil is in the pipeline, the cooler the oil gets. That decreases the turbulence in the oil, which slows the flow even more. Alyeska's own study, done last June, suggested that if flows in the pipeline were to drop to 400,000 barrels per day in January, the oil, which enters the line at around 110 degrees Fahrenheit, would dip to temperatures below 32 degrees by the time it reached the midpoint of the pipeline. The study concluded that the pipeline could carry no less than 300,000 to 350,000 barrels of crude per day during the winter before major flow problems prevent the pipeline from operating safely.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thats not what I meant....in the future pipelines will be even less needed....as solar, wind, and battery power advance and fossil fuels are considered dirty, ...Pipelines serve pretty much 1 purpose...profit for drillers to get to market....when demand drops, pipelines become obsolete....Like the Alaskian pipeline unless they start drilling will become dormant

Prudhoe Bay, which has been drilled for decades, the oil companies say the end is in sight. John Felmy, chief economist for the American Petroleum Institute, says that now those companies believe the most profitable resources to tap will be the easy-to-reach oil in places they're not yet allowed to drill: parts of the National Petroleum Reserve, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, and the Chukchi and Beaufort seas just offshore of the North Slope. ANWR alone holds 10 billion barrels of untapped oil, Felmy says, but drilling there is a huge environmental issue, and so far the U.S. government has not let oil companies in.

While the companies lobby, the amount of oil moving through the pipeline continues to dwindle. Flows peaked at 2.1 million barrels per day 24 years ago. By last year they dropped to about 579,000 barrels per day. That decline is creating a very expensive engineering problem, says the pipeline's operator, Alyeska Pipeline Services—a company owned by the North Slope's major oil industry players including BP, ExxonMobil, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, and Koch Industries.

To put the problem simply: The lower the average flow of oil through the pipeline, the harder it is to keep that oil moving. As the flows of oil in the line drop, the velocity of the oil flow decreases, too, increasing the time it takes for the oil to reach Valdez. The longer the oil is in the pipeline, the cooler the oil gets. That decreases the turbulence in the oil, which slows the flow even more. Alyeska's own study, done last June, suggested that if flows in the pipeline were to drop to 400,000 barrels per day in January, the oil, which enters the line at around 110 degrees Fahrenheit, would dip to temperatures below 32 degrees by the time it reached the midpoint of the pipeline. The study concluded that the pipeline could carry no less than 300,000 to 350,000 barrels of crude per day during the winter before major flow problems prevent the pipeline from operating safely.
Wow, that's a lot of facts Mr. Canadian Turtle, but, how do they get the cheese in a can of Kraft Easy Cheese?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
All jokes aside the problem is being worked on here in NC insulted pipe that can be wrapped around the present system and something close to heat tape of the old days will be implemented to keep the oil moving

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: muttly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All jokes aside the problem is being worked on here in NC insulted pipe that can be wrapped around the present system and something close to heat tape of the old days will be implemented to keep the oil moving

it would be a very expense job to do....and not worth it if they can not drill in the near future...they will just shut down Prudhoe Bay site when flow decreases even more...Oil is not a renewable resource...eventually we will have to get off fossil fuels as cost of green lessens and fossil fuels increase, I am talking not tomorrow here..in the future

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be expensive to do but I don't think it out of reach
And I'm not sure about the fossil fuel argument at all it very hard for me to see how man can cause any real damage to the earth

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I'm not sure about the fossil fuel argument at all it very hard for me to see how man can cause any real damage to the earth

I meant our usage of fossil fuels will diminish as other source come online and affordable..

Not out of reach if they can drill and put more in the pipes...at less then 50% capacity ..

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force

Politely, have a seat behind the exhaust of your truck with engine running for a few minutes and experience fossil fuel environmental damage first hand.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

JCH

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I concede that these are harmful gases that come from motor vehicles and manufacturing but that is a concentrated product our environment deals with that quite well and somethings live on it

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
it would be a very expense job to do....and not worth it if they can not drill in the near future...they will just shut down Prudhoe Bay site when flow decreases even more...Oil is not a renewable resource...eventually we will have to get off fossil fuels as cost of green lessens and fossil fuels increase, I am talking not tomorrow here..in the future
I think OVM is on to something.
Saudis investing more in solar than oil production.
They know it will be over before they can buy out everyone, and prepare for future stakes (who will be next biggest energy producer)
I am not talking inki-dinki companies.
US needs to make it a national priority and kick all oil production out.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think OVM is on to something.
Saudis investing more in solar than oil production.
They know it will be over before they can buy out everyone, and prepare for future stakes (who will be next biggest energy producer)
I am not talking inki-dinki companies.
US needs to make it a national priority and kick all oil production out.
Why does it need to be one or the other?

Reactions: Turtle

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just some of the products made partially from petroleum.

Solvents

Diesel fuel

Motor Oil

Bearing Grease

Ink

Floor Wax

Ballpoint Pens

Football Cleats

Upholstery

Sweaters

Boats

Insecticides

Bicycle Tires

Sports Car Bodies

Nail Polish

Fishing lures

Dresses

Tires

Golf Bags

Perfumes

Cassettes

Dishwasher parts

Tool Boxes

Shoe Polish

Motorcycle Helmet

Caulking

Petroleum Jelly

Transparent Tape

CD Player

Faucet Washers

Antiseptics

Clothesline

Curtains

Food Preservatives

Basketballs

Soap

Vitamin Capsules

Antihistamines

Purses

Shoes

Dashboards

Cortisone

Deodorant

Footballs

Putty

Dyes

Panty Hose

Refrigerant

Percolators

Life Jackets

Rubbing Alcohol

Linings

Skis

TV Cabinets

Shag Rugs

Electrician's Tape

Tool Racks

Car Battery Cases

Epoxy

Paint

Mops

Slacks

Insect Repellent

Oil Filters

Umbrellas

Yarn

Fertilizers

Hair Coloring

Roofing

Toilet Seats

Fishing Rods

Lipstick

Denture Adhesive

Linoleum

Ice Cube Trays

Synthetic Rubber

Speakers

Plastic Wood

Electric Blankets

Glycerin

Tennis Rackets

Rubber Cement

Fishing Boots

Dice

Nylon Rope

Candles

Trash Bags

House Paint

Water Pipes

Hand Lotion

Roller Skates

Surf Boards

Shampoo

Wheels

Paint Rollers

Shower Curtains

Guitar Strings

Luggage

Aspirin

Safety Glasses

Antifreeze

Football Helmets

Awnings

Eyeglasses

Clothes

Toothbrushes

Ice Chests

Footballs

Combs

CD's & DVD's

Paint Brushes

Detergents

Vaporizers

Balloons

Sun Glasses

Tents

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Pillows

Dishes

Cameras

Anesthetics

Artificial Turf

Artificial limbs

Bandages

Dentures

Model Cars

Folding Doors

Hair Curlers

Cold cream

Movie film

Soft Contact lenses

Drinking Cups

Fan Belts

Car Enamel

Shaving Cream

Ammonia

Refrigerators

Golf Balls

Toothpaste

Gasoline

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey he said that not me.... lol

I was referring to the expansion and adding more capacity... when forecasters are calling shrinkage

so shoot me its a Bloomberg article...gee whiz
U.S. Shale-Oil Boom May Not Last as Fracking Wells Lack Staying Power

Re: fracking....Production from wells bored into these formations declines by 60 percent to 70 percent in the first year alone, says Allen Gilmer, chairman and chief executive officer of Drillinginfo, which tracks the performance of U.S. wells. Traditional wells take two years to slide 50 percent to 55 percent, and they can keep pumping for 20 years or more.

Source: Goldman Sachs

Bakken wells live fast and die young
What's notable about shale fields like the Bakken are the steep well decline rates. Over its 45-year lifespan, the typical Bakken well will produce 665,000 barrels of oil. However, almost all of that output occurs during the first year after the well has been drilled.
Production from the average Bakken well falls over 90% less than four years after its drilled.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've read estimates a pipeline would knock off more then $5.00 - $9.00 a barrel in transportation costs...
the pipeline is more about profits then need....
Todays prices....floating just above $50.00
"With oil prices down, so are profits. Recent analysis by Scotiabank estimates that frackers need $69 per barrel of oil to make money. One oil executive quoted in the Economist said he can cope as long as the oil price is above $50. Another said the industry is "not healthy" below $70."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just some of the products made partially from petroleum.

Solvents

Diesel fuel

Motor Oil

Bearing Grease

Ink

Floor Wax

Ballpoint Pens

Football Cleats

Upholstery

Sweaters

Boats

Insecticides

Bicycle Tires

Sports Car Bodies

Nail Polish

Fishing lures

Dresses

Tires

Golf Bags

Perfumes

Cassettes

Dishwasher parts

Tool Boxes

Shoe Polish

Motorcycle Helmet

Caulking

Petroleum Jelly

Transparent Tape

CD Player

Faucet Washers

Antiseptics

Clothesline

Curtains

Food Preservatives

Basketballs

Soap

Vitamin Capsules

Antihistamines

Purses

Shoes

Dashboards

Cortisone

Deodorant

Footballs

Putty

Dyes

Panty Hose

Refrigerant

Percolators

Life Jackets

Rubbing Alcohol

Linings

Skis

TV Cabinets

Shag Rugs

Electrician's Tape

Tool Racks

Car Battery Cases

Epoxy

Paint

Mops

Slacks

Insect Repellent

Oil Filters

Umbrellas

Yarn

Fertilizers

Hair Coloring

Roofing

Toilet Seats

Fishing Rods

Lipstick

Denture Adhesive

Linoleum

Ice Cube Trays

Synthetic Rubber

Speakers

Plastic Wood

Electric Blankets

Glycerin

Tennis Rackets

Rubber Cement

Fishing Boots

Dice

Nylon Rope

Candles

Trash Bags

House Paint

Water Pipes

Hand Lotion

Roller Skates

Surf Boards

Shampoo

Wheels

Paint Rollers

Shower Curtains

Guitar Strings

Luggage

Aspirin

Safety Glasses

Antifreeze

Football Helmets

Awnings

Eyeglasses

Clothes

Toothbrushes

Ice Chests

Footballs

Combs

CD's & DVD's

Paint Brushes

Detergents

Vaporizers

Balloons

Sun Glasses

Tents

Heart Valves

Crayons

Parachutes

Telephones

Enamel

Pillows

Dishes

Cameras

Anesthetics

Artificial Turf

Artificial limbs

Bandages

Dentures

Model Cars

Folding Doors

Hair Curlers

Cold cream

Movie film

Soft Contact lenses

Drinking Cups

Fan Belts

Car Enamel

Shaving Cream

Ammonia

Refrigerators

Golf Balls

Toothpaste

Gasoline
Lord knows we need golf balls and parachutes....LOL

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pipelines serve pretty much 1 purpose...profit for drillers to get to market....
Of course it's for profit. Pipelines are the safest and most economical way to transport oil and gas.

Electric transmission lines serve pretty much one purpose...profit for electric utilities to get electricity to market. Would you purpose electricity generated from wind and solar be stored in batteries and transported to market by rail and truck.