Year of the truck

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
i'm going to be buying a 2001 trk class 8 with a twin screw in the back ..... Is that to old of a trk to put on with most carriers ???? or should i shop around and find something alittle newer

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should call the companies you are interested in working for and ask them what qualifies truck wise. Required specs can change at anytime and unless you get your info direct from them you can never be sure.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I like what I heard this afternoon "real companies don't care a frick what year the truck was built but if it can be on time"

xiggi has a very good point, call first.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. You should check with the carrier first. Many times the age of the box can be more important than the age of the unit. We like to keep newer units in the fleet for example. But we do not put a hard fast rule on it. I have seen newer units that are not maintained and are unreliable and junk. I have seen older units that are spotless and well maintained and far better to have in the fleet. I think you should also consider having the carrier pre-inspect the unit before purchase to make sure that are good with it. We require units to be inspected and pass our shops standards. Some carriers will only ask you to provide a valid annual inspection.