XM reception

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I want to get that Mushroom Antena but how do you run the wires and I got these Mirriors that are terrible for clamping anything to. since the Cab is Alum can't use magnets.

If you have ever seen the mirriors on a T-600 and painted the same color as the truck than those are my mirriors. If you have a chance and you order a KW do not get these mirriors, pretty yes functional they suck! Open the door in the wind and you have re adjust.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got one of those antennas and couldn't tell any difference from my little antenna that came with the radio. I went back to the little puck antenna.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The advantage to the big antenna will be durability. I agree that there seems to be no real improvement in reception.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you happen to have a fiberglass "Condo" the mouse can be mounted inside most anywhere. I have 2 Roadys in the sleeper mounted in the sleeper this way.

The Pioneer unit in the cab has the mouse mounted on the alum roof with Scotch EXTERIOR GRADE double stick tape.

Why 3 Radios you ask?....What can I say... XM is my life.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Redy, I have to ask.. ok, I can see having a receiver in the back so the wife can listen to something different... but what do you do with 2 in the back? LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Redy, I have to ask.. ok, I can see having a receiver in the
>back so the wife can listen to something different... but
>what do you do with 2 in the back?

A. His bunk and Her bunk. Yes there are time when we both have bunk time at the same time. Oh by the way we have individual headsets.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Gotcha!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I went out and bought the 30" XM antenna. Compaired to the one that came with my radios and even using the home antenna this thing is night and day. Picks up far better reception and i also notice i dont have to change stations as much because of others "commercial ridden" FM stations over powering my XM.

Out of 1-10 :) faces i give it :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get an FM modulator. It will eliminate the need to change channels. Well worth it when your in a place like Chicago and it seems like you just can't find a channel that will last more than 15 minutes.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you guys have a link for ordering the antenna or fm modulator online?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got mine from the local car stereo shop and had them install it. For the new truck, I got the Delphi with Sirius built in.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I don't know why you guys just didn't go with Sirius. ;)
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!

Probably would have if they had been first to launch their satellites.
When XM announced their launch I was the first to purchase my unit at the Best Buy store I happened to be near when the radios arrived.

Well anyway if the two services merge as they want to, the differences will be nil.(Prices will go up).

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i see alot of drivers have their mushroom antenna mounted in the middle of their outside visor. exactly how they do it i don't know but they do.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think this thread is funny.

The system works on a foot print concept, meaning that the sat transmits its signal to a specific area. Unless you are in a fringe area, have a lot of buildings around you (like Manhattan) or underwater, the standard antenna should work really well.

The other thing is, this is digital signal which does not really degrade the sound quality with a weak signal, but rather drops information which if the system does not buffer the data, it will sound like cr*p.

The last thing is, I question the usefulness of mushroom style antenna and the comparison to the roof mounted antenna. I think the latter would be better overall due to the amount of junk on the mirror that can be lost or damaged.

And I hope we don't see a merger, the price (as mentioned) will end up going up and the idea of alacart anything is a good way to screw the consumer.