XM radio - now what?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Got one of this XM radio thing on eBay last year for $5 and finally got a cradle kit for it $30.

Activated it last night and now what?

I don't see the excitement, where is the excitement of this thing?

What am I missing or did I take the hype too seriously?

The amazing thing is I have the thing spread out on my computer desk running off of a homemade power supply and the antenna is sitting next to my Drake receiver. I know that I am picking up a sat not a relay station because the sat indicator is at 3 and the other one is 0 - weird!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I believe the excitement comes when you're driving across a state without hitting the 'scan' button 10 or 20 times. :)

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's also in knowing just which channel at just which time you can find a program you enjoy since it doesn't change as you cross the country. You also get good reception pretty much everywhere you go. What Drake do you have?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo, I have an R4b and a TR4 but looking for an T4xb to balance it all out. I also have the 2/6 Transverters for the b/c line and a bunch of other accessories that I collected over the years.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excitement may be a bit of a strong word to use here, but it is very cool to have a variety of programing choices available, seamlessly, from sea to shining sea.

Hmmm... You know, for a simple dude like me, whose very easily entertained at times, that is exciting. Yeah, I'll go with exciting.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I've had the XM since they had about 700,000 paying customers and I no longer find it exciting, I find it a necessary accessory. Like cell phones and PDA's, once we get accustomed to a gadget, we can't do without it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's something both exciting, and surreal, about driving through west Texas and listening to what traffic is like through the Cut of the Hill.

<someone will get that>

For me, it's all about the MLB.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We bought an XM for our little truck at home because we loved it while out on the road. It rarely gets turned on. I think it's like Dreamer said, the excitement comes in when you don't have to search for a station.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may get another XM for my car when I'm home but haven't decided yet whether to do that or just take mine from the truck. Cost vs convenience.

My favorite uncle had a TR-4C for as long as I can remember. Eventually I'm going to get one as a tribute to him. I'm also going to get his old call.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess you might say I am XM addicted got our first XM a fine Pioneer head unit in Oct 2001. It was the first XM sold at the Best Buy in Detroit. For weeks I stopped at every electronics store I would pass, to ask if the radios were in yet.

The Pioneer is still preforming beautifully to this day.We added two more Roadys.One for each bunk in the sleeper. I know total overkill.
this way each driver can listen to whatever.

The latest addition. (Replaces one of the Roadys) is a SkiFi 3 unit that incorporates a recorder that allows time shifting,just like a VCR.XM has lots of special programing,that I would otherwise miss.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
while I do own xm and enjoy it a lot the real excitement for me is the fact that I bought 2000 shares of xm stock at around 5 bucks a share and sold it for around 25 a share now that was exciting

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I got sirius and it sure beats driving through Nebraska with only 1 station to listen to....and it's usually the mexican music or country. especially texas between El Paso and Dallas.

ShawnF
O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I didn't think to mention that one. With XM you can delete the stations in a language that shouldn't even be broadcast into the U.S.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Excitement is driving down the road listening to the Hawks kick arse! And yelling TOUCHDOWN on the cb when they score. LOL

Oh... this is an XM thread. You guys don't get that excitement. :7

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
My old job as a debt collector is when i went and got my first XM radio, cause they allowed radios and people who live in detroit know if you like rock or even anything heavyier there isnt anything to enjoy without hearing the same song 10 times a day. So i went and purchased my XM SKYFI II and boombox. And it came through perfectly and i rocked out at work. Now that i'm a trucker i went out and purchased the TAO portable XM that allows you to walk around and listen to the XM through headphones while riding a bike or what ever. But on the road i find the radio a means of life. If i didnt have it i would bet you i would go nuts on the road and kill a few people. But thanks to XM the roads are safer and everyone gets to live (for another day)

:+

Oh and its the only place i get to hear Heavy Metal 24/7.

My suggestions. Listen to channel 42 for a while }>

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Can I get an XM unit that does require me to mount an external antenna?

I don't want to have a magnetic mount on the roof and tha cable laying across the roof.

Any suggestions?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can pick up a small flat plate at Pilot and other Truck stops.
Mounts on your mirror.

If you have a fiberglass roof on your sleeper,the antenna can be mounted inside.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many people report success in simply tossing the antenna onto the dash. I know this works in a Sprinter, just not positive of how well it works in the other vans or trucks.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the antenna I got is sitting right next to my keyboard in the corner of the room away from the windows - please don't tell me that this is not normal.

Also I got to say that this XM thing is still, well, not an exciting thing yet.

Having it up and running has forced me to;
• Learn who Fregie is, and I thought that she was some former princess who took up singing to pay the food bill
• That most of the sound of popular music sounds too much alike and seems to be all based on the wall of sound format with the Whitney Houston vocals.
• That Brittney Spears can not really sing regardless what they do to help her voice
• Who Amy Winehouse is (actually bought her latest CD today – making it number 3 CD I purchased in the last 4 years)
• That there is no way that Snoop Dogg should be invited to address school children of any age
• Re-appreciating Joplin’s music – both Janice and Scott
• AND I also learned that Jerry Reed had performed more than one song in his career - what can I say, I am country music illiterate for a reason.