XM pain in the arse

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Had a Rodeo, and an outside Mushroom Antena. Worked great for months other than in Knoxville where local FM public station over powered it just when I wanted to listen to a special program.

Than Rodeo, starting with just once a month or less would break out of its cradle, easy enough just push it back in, than twice a month once a week once a day once an hour than every ten minutes. ENOUGH allready, I super glued it tied it down everything I could think of so it found itself bouncing down the highway at a HIGH SPEED See ya.

On to Loves purchased one step up. What a piece of junk, if you held it up on a full moon while a dog was nearby it worked otherwise NOPE. Called MFG no answer, sent Emails no response, took it back to Loves OUT OF LUCK no refunds on electronics and trying to contact MFG 30 days had gone by OUT OF LUCK.
OK purchased from a Radio Dealer a Kenwood, than I have to purchase a device to recieve XM after I thought I purchased a XM ready Radio NOPE. Hook it up and difficulties galore, sometimes it works other times does not. When it was not had a new battery installed and also got my XM back, went down one more time and than a couple days later by accident worked again.

But my Mushroom worked fine with the Rodeo but not with this unit? At a loss? Do not want to spent the $ to start over got any suggestions.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree. Sounds like the installer didn't know his... you know.

Got mine installed at Best Buy and ABC Warehouse (two separate units). Both installs were good. They've done semi installations regularly.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may have nothing to do with Broom's issue, and we all know he has issues, but just some FYI on the difference between XM and Sirius. Sirius's bird is higher in the sky than XM's. Because of this XM has to use repeaters in big cities to keep from having hiccups in reception. My guess would be that trees and hills could be an issue in rural areas. I use the mushroom style mirror mount antenna on my Sirius and the reception is very close to seamless. Hiccups are rare.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
At this time i own 4 xm units. 1 each in my 2 cars, 1 in the boat and 1 in the van. I have had 2 of them for over 4 yrs, I have never had a problem at all. Sure i'll lose the signal from time to time and the signal will get stepped on when the frequency as a station on it or right next to it when i come into a city from the hughway, but changing the frequecy fixes it in a heartbeat. I don't leave home without XM, ever..