write offs

G

frank,do you have a list of write offs?do i have to buy it from you?i have a tax accountant,but she doesn't know everything that can be written off the in trucking biz.i'm going to be a first timer over the road,(str tk team)w/fed ex cc .o/o i think,maybe drive for someone,trying to find out what is best way to go.buy or lease.dealer wants 10% down on new truck.if i had that i wouldn't need to look for another job.i'd stay at my 5am-2pm job.i need help but still want to use my tax lady.shes good at what she does.not to much money to do taxes.me,my wife,son,dauther.thanks,EARL TASSA

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
frank,do you have a list of write offs?do i have to buy it from you?i have a tax accountant,but she doesn't know everything that can be written off the in trucking biz.i'm going to be a first timer over the road,(str tk team)w/fed ex cc .o/o i think,maybe drive for someone,trying to find out what is best way to go.buy or lease.dealer wants 10% down on new truck.if i had that i wouldn't need to look for another job.i'd stay at my 5am-2pm job.i need help but still want to use my tax lady.shes good at what she does.not to much money to do taxes.me,my wife,son,dauther.thanks,EARL TASSA

Earl,

There is a lot more to the trucking aspect tax preparation and accounting that she probably does not know.

I understand your concern on switching to another person to do you tax return, but it would be advisable. You may use anyone you prefer, but make sure he/she understands,and is knowledgeable about the trucking industry, The Transportation industry is a completely different enitity from the average tax return, but basically similar.

There are deduction that she would have no idea that she would be able to take. and would have to use a tax research company to find out exactly what you can and cannot deduct. That is if she has access to one.

You Also have to remember that I was a Truck Driver, Expediter, and 0/0., plus I have been doing Tax Returns for Over 30 years. I am a member of the following Associations. NATP (National Association of Tax Professionals),NSA (National Society of Accountants),ACAT, (The Accredition Council of Accounting and Taxation), NIPB, (The National Institute of Professional Bookkeepers). and here all year.

In Doing tax returns in the past for you, You Basically received a W-2, Maybe Your Wife also received one, So you had an easy return, maybe itemized deductions, house interest, medical bills, contributions, etc. earned income credit, if you childern were under 18, etc, This is a basic return, I dont know how much she charged you, for that return,

But, doing a business return is a quite a different story and more involved as to time, knowledge of the entity, and experence with certain business to prepare that return.

Did you find out approx how much she would charge you for your change in tax status since you will be filing a more complicated return.
Can she do the return you are asking her to do. and is she knowledgeable in the industry you are choosing.

If she only prepares individuals with W-2's only, then I would say to change your preparer.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask,
I will be happy to send you a standard deductiable listing, Please e- mail me at [[email protected]]. slong with your regular mailing address so that additional information can be sent.

Frank