Wow, some change

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
By that, I mean what I'm reading here. When I decided to buy the truck I have, from the owner I had been driving it for, I figured since it cost time and money to switch carriers, might as well do it now. Although I drove expedited in '97, so much has changed, and I've only had experience with FedEx since I came back, in Aug. '10, that I thought a change might be better.

I spent a lot of time looking for and at info on various companies. I didn't hate FECC, but thought I might find a better niche for myself. Of all the companies I read about, Load 1 and Landstar seemed to be held in the most positive light. In my experience, with being on forums and other type computer lists since the '80's, forums get more than a fair share of complainers. So it surprised me, that there was hardly any negative about the above mentioned companies.

Regarding Load 1, wow, what a change, since I signed on. Don't mean there is a lot of negative, but just that there is some, and it's being aired.

I've only been on since Oct. 24, so have little to speak of the overall situations, but I have already found myself with a few doubts about my choice.

To be fair, I probably didn't ask the right questions, or heard the answers to the ones I asked incorrectly, but I do not feel I was mislead in any way.

Couple of examples. Brian took me to introduce me to dispatch, and asked them to try and get me a load to NC, so I could get the rest of my gear. That was on 10/26 or 27. Wasn't too pressed to get there, at that point, so took a load going to MN. And they got me out of there. Both runs paid decent. I know it's not a travel agency, but had been told there was lot's of runs to the Carolinas and back. And I know they can not just come up with a load, if the load isn't there. But I did have to tell them, the few load offers I got after getting back to yard. I took a load to Batavia OH, thinking at least I'm moving south, and then one to TN, in hopes of getting something going east. But finally hit my deadline, for something I did need to be home to take care of.

So moved D/H to home, putting a $200. cut into what I had made, so far. Based on what I was told, I planned to mostly run between MI and the Carolinas, catching home time on the fly. But haven't talked to any drivers who have seen much of that. One driver actually lives in same town I do, and he doesn't, either.

Another issue I had, was a situation came up, and asked about it. Person A I asked, said he needed to talk to person B, as it was his decision. When I finally got answer from person B, got negative answer, said that that was person A's decision. So why didn't person A say so up front, and save me a weekend of waiting around?

I opted for using elogs, as I had gotten used to them with FECC, after being almost the last hold out against them while there. I know how to 'work' paper logs very well, but found I never had the need to there. So the elogs made life simpler. But at Load 1, I'm starting to feel this might be a detriment to my money making. That doesn't make me thrilled. I had gotten tired of playing the paper log game when I was a TT company driver, and don't want to go back to it.

I went up to dispatch one night last week, to tell them I couldn't do a load because of the elog, and while dispatcher I was talking to, and who was trying to get a change made so I could keep the load, I got a attitude from another dispatcher. He told person I was talking to not to worry about it, there were plenty of other trucks in the yard. I bit my tongue, being new, but 1st reaction was to get right in his face. I don't need that sort of attitude.

Don't get me wrong, there are still many things I like about Load 1, but am now seeing things I miss about FedEX. And I NEVER thought I would say that :)

So for me, the jury is still out, and we'll see how it goes. After this weekend home, I'll be out till Christmas, and jury will have better idea.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to voice some thoughts from a new guy perspective.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I do think it's been slow for everyone, but am starting to think that if you're not MI based, it's worse. The local guys seemed to be keeping busy, from what I saw at the yard last week.

mss1963

Expert Expediter
It's slow everwhere right now,this week should pick back up....have trust in the team they will get you moving,This is the slowest week iv'e gad in 6mths!!!So I really can't complain or have a reason too.

guido4475

Not a Member
It would of been a better idea to e-mail this to John than to post it on here, I would think.Sorry to hear youre not satisfied at the moment.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hi, One of the leading Load 1 cheerleaders here....Yeap, there have been more then a few of us lead the way n stating the great things that go on at Load 1...and we have done so loud and proud, but we have also posted about "issues" in the past also...I was told by a new member right after she came on that I should have never voice my problems publicly and I was quite soundly told I handled it wrong...and she was right...I posted it here instead of going to "the powers that be"....

Ther have been O/O's contract with Load 1 that didn't stay long at all, I can think of 3 right off the top of my head that members here, and they all made it known here that they were leaving and sgned with other carriers...they didn't "bad mouth" Load 1, and none of them do now that i know of, but they left because Load 1 wasn't for them....

We all have different expectations and wants and needs in most everything we do including from a carrier....I'll continue to paint a great picture of Load 1 and as I told someone the other day, I ain't leavin unles tossed out until I decide I am done driving....

I like most everyone have issues that come up from time to time, but none that i even consider enough to go to a dept head or John...at this point....

Venting "isues" publicly isn't a bad thing, but as when i dd that, chances are really good that you wll hear from the powers that be in a short time..if you had taken the issue to the powers that be and talked to them about them before going public, chances are you would have felt at least that they knew and understood your position without being forced to the defensive position that they will feel they are in after reading it here...

Load 1 is a great place to contract with and ill continue to post that...but they aren't for everyone and that also has been posted here in the passed....yea you have to look for it, but they are there....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One mans opinion is just that....if we are going to jump up and down and wave the pom poms...then we should also be person enough to take the jabs....IMO

We have had quite the audience lately....people are learning and hopefully absorbing the information correctly...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reminds me of once...a carrier claimed to be "Leader of the Industry"... Then when I had an issue I was told that was " An Industry Standard"....:eek:

My thought were....to be a real Leader it is YOU that sets that standard....not follow it....

We do things at Load 1 that is unheard of in this industry...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can take the the jabs just as most that cheer can...but with John being a posting member here, his openess and accessibility, and the fact that he is always available to answer questions and listen, makes the airing of issues before going to him with concerns a little pre-mature....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can take the the jabs just as most that cheer can...but with John being a posting member here, his openess and accessibility, and the fact that he is always available to answer questions and listen, makes the airing of issues before going to him with concerns a little pre-mature....
Oh yes..agreed...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can take the the jabs just as most that cheer can...
Good to know. :D

21a.jpg