Would you take Higher Rate and less Miles or More Miles and Lower Rate?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It seems Cargo Van rates are .75 to .85 w/ surcharge for most carriers with other carriers paying .90-$1.00 a mile offering less miles per week.

With average mileage guarantees by recruiters around 1000-1500 depending on carrier. Can someone chime in and give us something a little more of what the actual reality is. Looking to possibly select a carrier this spring 2016 and run part time so I'm looking for a carrier with lower weekly fees around $50-60 a month including everything. A carrier that goes nationwide west coast and Tx in Sprinter is preferred. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's the thing. Both of you are correct. We have one this morning paying $1.12 all miles to the truck. But that says NOTHING.
It's 125 DH 129 LDD.
But we also have one going on right now at
196 DH 1328 LDD $1105.00.

Not just one carrier. Almost everyone's rates are all over the place.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not asking for much are ya with the monthly rates? Personally I prefer higher rates with less miles simply it costs less to run. My carrier is all over the board on rates.
I would expect that your direct customers are at a higher rate whereas the load board rate which is in the tank would be the much lower ones now that John has taken the handcuffs off the load bidders you're seeing those low rates for the first time

Reactions: Treadmill

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well word came down today, straight truck rates have been reduced another 10 cents a mile. I feel bad for anyone who has a big truck payment and can't do any of their own mechanical work.

Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And to think people snickered at me A few years ago calling me cheap stocking up on the truckstop catsup and mustard packets..using rewards cards charge cards with money back rebates even my historic cutting a hotdog in half And now running lean and mean is the only way to survive

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well word came down today, straight truck rates have been reduced another 10 cents a mile. I feel bad for anyone who has a big truck payment and can't do any of their own mechanical work.

Just how low do these douchnozzles expect us to go ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sad. Guess it depends on where it puts their rate. They use to be I think 1.25 a mile? If so, there is a sinking ship

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1.30 flat rate and from the email what ovm said about the taking the handcuffs off the bidders, that makes sense.

I don't blame them for what is going on, it's the greedy brokers that are causing this.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
And to think people snickered at me A few years ago calling me cheap stocking up on the truckstop catsup and mustard packets..using rewards cards charge cards with money back rebates even my historic cutting a hotdog in half And now running lean and mean is the only way to survive

I can see making fun of you for saving catsup and mustard packets. My mom does that and I make fun of her. But why would anyone NOT use a rebate card? That just makes sense.